Newcastle United v AFC Bournemouth

But why wasn't it a foul on Christie and a free kick to us instead ?
I can see that it was a foul on Schär but If you watch that passage of play, Christie is being wrestled much more aggressively than Schär was, the only difference being that he kept trying to free himself rather than throw himself to the ground.

In situations like that, there are always multiple "fouls" going on but somehow the one on Schär takes precedence, despite the fact that he was offside anyway ? Presumably because he threw himself to the floor, waved his arms in the air and because Newcastle were playing at home in front of a vociferous crowd ?

I notice too that apart from Schär, none of the other NUFC players thought it was worth appealing for anything.

For me that remains one of the softest penalties I have ever seen.
The fact that he ended up offside in the end anyway, makes it even more galling.

Credit to the lads for not letting it get to them.
They got their heads down, kept playing and managed to get ahead again.
This game was a return to form for us, after a couple of games where we looked like we had lost our mojo. We deserved to win but still came away with a point despite an unfortunate decision going against us.
Happy with that and the lads should be too !

:utc:
I can see that it was a foul on Schär but If you watch that passage of play, Christie is being wrestled much more aggressively than Schär was, the only difference being that he kept trying to free himself rather than throw himself to the ground.

50,000 fans shouting for a foul, the ref has to be influenced. it was happening all the time during the game. He was also stopping the game when one of their players went down injured, it should be play on until the ball is dead except for head injuries.

50,000 fans shouting for a foul, the ref has to be influenced. it was happening all the time during the game. He was also stopping the game when one of their players went down injured, it should be play on until the ball is dead except for head injuries.
Don't think either sets of fans were happy with the refereeing to be honest. Bruno was definitely targeted for some more.... robust attention. Which I understand, he's the one who pulls the strings and arguably our most important player. He's also the type of lad to get riled up.

Don't think either sets of fans were happy with the refereeing to be honest. Bruno was definitely targeted for some more.... robust attention. Which I understand, he's the one who pulls the strings and arguably our most important player. He's also the type of lad to get riled up.
You're going to struggle to convince fans of a side that's received 1 penalty in 666 days that we were on the end of a fair penalty decision particularly one that has the whole footballing world scratching its head.

You're going to struggle to convince fans of a side that's received 1 penalty in 666 days that we were on the end of a fair penalty decision particularly one that has the whole footballing world scratching its head.
No, I get it and I'm not looking to convince anybody that they should, in fact, be happy. I know I'd be livid if I were you.

You must be pretty confident of staying up now? Sheffield and Burnley look like they're competing for worst team in the league, so that's 2 spots sewn up. Everton and Forest having points deductions push them deep into the mire. Crystal Palace and Luton will complete the 6 teams in genuine danger of going down. I think Brentford have enough about them (Toney especially) to get themselves safe.

Where do you need to strengthen next season?

No, I get it and I'm not looking to convince anybody that they should, in fact, be happy. I know I'd be livid if I were you.

You must be pretty confident of staying up now? Sheffield and Burnley look like they're competing for worst team in the league, so that's 2 spots sewn up. Everton and Forest having points deductions push them deep into the mire. Crystal Palace and Luton will complete the 6 teams in genuine danger of going down. I think Brentford have enough about them (Toney especially) to get themselves safe.

That depends on who we have to sell.

For next season I would like a new goalkeeper, as well as greater competition for Solanke (although we haven't yet seen if our new signing will do that). Full backs will need strengthening as Smith gets older and Kelly will probably leave.
Unknown for me is whether Tyler Adams gets fit and plays like we think he can. that would be a real boost.

For next season I would like a new goalkeeper, as well as greater competition for Solanke (although we haven't yet seen if our new signing will do that). Full backs will need strengthening as Smith gets older and Kelly will probably leave.
Unknown for me is whether Tyler Adams gets fit and plays like we think he can. that would be a real boost.
I think we were linked with the Burnley goalkeeper in 2019, but nothing came of it at the time.

Think he moved more North and East to a club, maybe we could go for him again.

Also he is out injured at the moment, so ideal candidate for our club. ;)

Prior to the match on the Friday, myself and son went on the tour of St James Park. Thoroughly recommended. Our genial and extremely knowledgeable guide treated us to 2 hours of NUFC history as he proudly showed us changing rooms, pitchside, corporate boxes etc. The love that the club has for Sir Bobby Robson was clear to see, with his memorabilia display and bronze bust as you enter the players entrance. There are two spectator seats that were always reserved for Bobby and his wife Elsie. These seats remain with the Robson family and if they cannot attend they remain empty. The cost of the tour for an adult and junior was £27.50. What a bargain. It certainly whetted our appetite for the game the next day.The club shop was even selling club shirts at a discounted rate of £17.50!!!
The pubs we visited included; The Bodega, Crown Poseda, Bridge Hotel, The Percy, Three Bulls Head, Victoria Comet and Rosie's. I was going to have one in the Black Garter until I saw the clientele! Caution was better than rash bravery!

Prior to the match on the Friday, myself and son went on the tour of St James Park. Thoroughly recommended. Our genial and extremely knowledgeable guide treated us to 2 hours of NUFC history as he proudly showed us changing rooms, pitchside, corporate boxes etc. The love that the club has for Sir Bobby Robson was clear to see, with his memorabilia display and bronze bust as you enter the players entrance. There are two spectator seats that were always reserved for Bobby and his wife Elsie. These seats remain with the Robson family and if they cannot attend they remain empty. The cost of the tour for an adult and junior was £27.50. What a bargain. It certainly whetted our appetite for the game the next day.The club shop was even selling club shirts at a discounted rate of £17.50!!!
The pubs we visited included; The Bodega, Crown Poseda, Bridge Hotel, The Percy, Three Bulls Head, Victoria Comet and Rosie's. I was going to have one in the Black Garter until I saw the clientele! Caution was better than rash bravery!
You should've tried Sgt Peppers! :grinning:

How about Dubravka for say, £1m. Wilson for £15m. Targett for £10m and we'll throw in Matt Ritchie for nowt?

Can't say fairer than that.

On SSN they just announced that the "controversial" Newcastle penalty is to be discussed this evening on Match Officials Mic'd Up.

On SSN they just announced that the "controversial" Newcastle penalty is to be discussed this evening on Match Officials Mic'd Up.

Indeed, because technically, technically, technically they came to the right decision… If you lack any common sense.

My take from all that is that VAR wanted to give it as offside, but then the assistant VAR chimes in with, "I think it might be this" and so rather than it being a clear and obvious error it's a couple of blokes who aren't quite sure if it should be a penalty or not, deciding to tell the ref he has to give a penalty. The ref going to the monitor was pointless because they just told him to give the penalty (because he didn't know what they were on about). Michael Owen is baffled by it and thinks it's offside, so Howard Webb gives a rambling explanation which explains why they gave a type of penalty that has probably never been given before, and will never be given again.
My explanation of it is probably just as unclear and rambly.

Also, if the VAR had stuck with his original plan to rule it out for offside (before his assistant decides to suggest giving a penalty anyway) I cannot believe anyone from Newcastle would have complained that they didn't get a penalty. So while Smith is stupid for pulling the shirt, this isn't a clear and obvious mistake by the referee.

Last edited:

;