Newcastle United v AFC Bournemouth

Smithy has often given away penalties over the years. Should be well and truly aware that refs will guve agsinst us. He's an amazing player for us, but he's always been a bit like that.
I agree, unfortunately he’s not averse to a bit of shirt pulling, whether inside or outside of the box. I imagine it’s frustration that gets the better of him.

We rue the missed chances first half as ever.

Ref turning from one extreme to another being conducted by the big club ground, as ever.

We've known Smith was going to struggle more as time went on for some years. We can revisit the argument over whether full back recruitment was sufficient but Smith will always put the shift in as he did again today. Up to AFCB to fix the position / issue.
I think James Hill is our man in that position ultimately. He's perfectly adequate. When we can afford to be less robust at the back, Aarons can play there. Might be that Tyler Adams will be able to cover there in emergencies too. I think right back will be fine. What concerns me is that both of our CBs were on yellows today and Andoni for whatever reason didn't want to bring Meps on. I don't blame Meps. He hasn't done a lot wrong, but is just not in favour. We do need someone that Andoni trusts to take the pressure of Zabs and Senesi in that position ultimately. Meps will surely leave this summer. He's probably thinking 'What the hell am I still doing here if I'm not trusted to come on in a situation like today's'. We need a really decent younger player or older one who is happy to have that reinforcement role.

Apparently 9 straight times that Eddie hasn't won a Bmth-Newcastle tilt .... as manager of each team.

Really enjoyable, but yes would agree that it was another game where a ref seems to lose his mind. Rob Jones as VAR ........... so no surprises there.

Still, nearing to 8th place than 18th. But, lots of opportunities missed, "what might have been".

Ritchie scores his first goal since July 2020.

Penalty or not?

If that's a pen, then what about the push against us there? Problem as well is inconsistency. Shirt pulling goes on all the time and is never flagged up, but against us it is. Not a pen for me, and you can tell by the ref's expression that he doesn't think it's one either. Having said that, Smithy was silly to do that.

Really good performance from the boys today. Refereeing was unbelievably one sided it looked like. We could've taken all the points, probably should have but that's football, especially when the ref's against us on every50/50 too. . Love the way we're playing. Great to see some posters at St James's- Mr and Mrs Table and good to meet Bishop. Sorry you couldn't make it Rob Trent. Safe journey home everyone

See, I thought the incident was that some other goober was offside and that he hadn’t interfered with play. Not that the guy that was off got fouled.

**** me, that makes it magnitudes worse. If he was offside and scored a goal, it doesn’t count. If he was offside and played someone through, it doesn’t count. If he’s offside and commits a foul, it doesn’t count. So if he’s offside and gets his shirt pulled, then it doesn’t bloody count, surely to god?

Tbf it's the middle of February and we haven't won a game this year. It's also another game (3rd in 2024!) where we've dropped points from a leading position.

Saying that the football is great to watch and much more entertaining than previous seasons
We're always going to have runs like this in the Pl......we lost 6 in a row playing a mind numbing low block last season........3 points fro 6 isn't the end of the world.

Var only seemed to show the ref the shirt pull on the pitchside screen.

The original offside seemed to be inconsequential.

If the ref hasn't seen it, let the game continue, just like it's always been.

Technology will show the incident a million times over that the ref may have missed, but human bias seems to effect all the decisions.

It's a waste of time is VAR.

;