Newcastle United v AFC Bournemouth

Re the last goal. Kelly’s slip was unfortunate. Maybe he was a victim of the pitch as was Dúbravka. Ritchie’s header down gave Cook very little time to react. Could have gone wide. Hit Neto. I wouldn’t blame any of the players. If I was being super critical I’d say that Trippier should have been shut down, he had an enormous amount of time to look up before crossing. I think Christie was closest.

It’s too simplistic to say Cook wasn’t mentioned second half. His back through to Kliuvert (?) who set Solanke up was a thing of beauty.

As for player ratings I’d say 7s and 8s all round.

Can’t wait for next week.
Rail seats and all ;-)

Going back to yesterday’s goals, there was only one really decent goal amongst them and that was from Semenyo.

Two were from slipping errors and the other was from a controversial decision which had pundits disagreeing over offside before foul and penalty.

We conceded another goal recently when Cook slipped.

So is it slippery pitch (over watered), wrong foot ware or just bad luck?

It was a good game of football (I was there) and I'd agree we were robbed, not just robbed of three points but of a better game. After Solanke poached the first goal Newcastle really upped their game and we had to ride the wave of their pressure, and we did, we reacted to their reaction and it was a proper good contest. We'd started to gain momentum and it was swinging back in our favour through a lot of endeavour, skill and intelligence from our midfield who were outstanding. The penalty sapped a lot of that momentum and I'd say Semenyo's goal was against the run of play at that stage of the game. The ref continuously broke up the flow of the game giving too many fouls (because the Newcastle players asked for them and the officials seemed hell bent on not letting them lose) it was a good game, but it could have been great, even magnificent. We played some beautiful football and to be fair they were also good with Gordon looking dangerous throughout and some dangerous balls into the box. We deserved to win and I think the officiating was just too partial.
I believe refs find it difficult not to be affected when 50,000 fans are claiming all tackles to be fouls, whether its bias or not they get caught up mentally in the situation. its the same when a shot hits someone in the box and everyone shouts handball.
Many of the rules are not being followed, you saw how players were standing in front of the ball stopping a quick free kick being taken so that players could get back into position. then you have players and staff getting in the refs ear at half time. It shouldn't be allowed. refs have to toughen up.

It's absolute nonsense. In the equivalent situation, if a striker is played clean through and wiped out by the defender but is offside, no foul or red card will be given. He is offside at the moment the ball is struck.

VaR is destroying the game by faffing around with these bizarre interpretations. We've gone from "clear and obvious" to spending 5 bloody minutes while the VAR lot watch 2000 replays and frantically riffle through the laws of the game.
Yes and they know it. But you can't change the rules now. Imagine a few lawsuits if there is not a consistency of application of the laws of the game (and VARs mandate) across every game of the season.

I wouldn’t blame any of the players. If I was being super critical I’d say that Trippier should have been shut down, he had an enormous amount of time to look up before crossing. I think Christie was closest.
Careful! People might think you have an agenda… ;)

Lewis Cook my MOTM.

All Action.
Willo and KT both said he had a good game yesterday.

Taking the slip out of the goal Cook had recently which led to a goal, both he and Christie since they formed that midfield partnership have been great for us.

There will be the occasional blip, but that happens to the best of players.

Wasn't there but there was a couple of players who got away with one once on a yellow.

Christie and Senesi spring to mind.

Thought the game was feisty, but without cheating or bad intent.

Exactly what a PL encounter should be.

Seem to think that refs don't like the fast press and harrying that is Bournemouths gameplan.

For the first time ever, the ref yesterday seemed to penalise our press and directness as a foul.

Hopefully it's a one off, but the signs are that our style of play doesn't sit well with the games managers.
I think you are right that we are starting to be too much above the radar! Of course never as physical as dyche teams !

;