Non - Brexit

A technical recession a mere 8 years, one global pandemic and one war on our doorstep later. Yep I can see the Brexit link, clear as mud.

It's worth noting the Guardian are saying future revisions may well show we're not actually in a recession but lets be honest, this is more about ammunition for an upcoming election than anything else.

A technical recession a mere 8 years, one global pandemic and one war on our doorstep later. Yep I can see the Brexit link, clear as mud.

It's worth noting the Guardian are saying future revisions may well show we're not actually in a recession but lets be honest, this is more about ammunition for an upcoming election than anything else.
I think you forgot our conversation before Xmas. I wont post it again. We were in agreement on this subject and both thought a recession was happening.

Last edited:

You can see the Covid link clear enough, but not the Brexit link. Who'd a thought it.

Wasn't really my point but thanks.

Wasn't your point criticising him for seeing the Covid link but not the Brexit link?

If so my point is valid. There's a clear Covid (and Ukraine) link but not a clear Brexit link if you look at the control group, i.e. other countries.

Wasn't your point criticising him for seeing the Covid link but not the Brexit link?

If so my point is valid. There's a clear Covid (and Ukraine) link but not a clear Brexit link if you look at the control group, i.e. other countries.
Control Group! I wasn't conducting a scientific experiment.

The other countries didn't have Brexit either.

Control Group! I wasn't conducting a scientific experiment.

The other countries didn't have Brexit either.

Yes that's the point. The other countries didn't have Brexit and many of them have still had a recessions coinciding with Covid and the Ukrainian war. Call it what you want but its a fair counterpoint to your criticism.

Well...we have an Election coming up where we can elect the next group of 'luminaries' to tackle the aftermath of Brexit.
What a prospect eh !.
They'll take up their places on the green seats....conjure up swathes of White Papers to be sealed by those on the Red seats ; The Lords are a mixed bag of non-elected ne'er-do-wells - ...shirkers and slugabeds, cads and bounders, major land - owners, failed Prime Ministers, and foreign insurgents....half the buggers half asleep or half drunk.

Pah....we need a New System !

Last edited:
Yes that's the point. The other countries didn't have Brexit and many of them have still had a recessions coinciding with Covid and the Ukrainian war. Call it what you want but its a fair counterpoint to your criticism.
it doesn't prove or disprove that Brexit had an impact.

I'm not that fussed either way. I was suggesting that red_house was being a bit selective by ignoring the possibility, as much as those who are giving it too much emphasis.

France is in turmoil with Farmers not happy....thats a big f√cking wadge of their population...
...and France is a principle, big influencing, member of the increasingly flawed EU !

A common denominator of the problems either side of the channel....is the f√cking self- serving, career-sucking, Party polarised Politicians ...with too much Left and Right dogma being smashed down the throats of ordinary folk that just want a sustainable f√cking existence.

Last edited:
I'm not that fussed either way. I was suggesting that red_house was being a bit selective by ignoring the possibility, as much as those who are giving it too much emphasis.

I only responded because druss posted a link on the Brexit thread. The link mentions nothing about Brexit. It does however highlight that Germany and Japan are in recession. It also specifically says that countries are struggling as a result of setbacks brought on by the pandemic.

It's worth noting that economists don't consider a technical recession to be a proper recession. The good news is that the BOE think we're turning a corner and not to put too much weight on it, I guess we'll see in due course.

Blimey, redhouse, your unwavering support for this shambles of a government is impressive. Whilst all over the country, voters are abandoning them in droves, I bet they’re glad the blinkers haven’t fallen off all the horses.

Blimey, redhouse, your unwavering support for this shambles of a government is impressive. Whilst all over the country, voters are abandoning them in droves, I bet they’re glad the blinkers haven’t fallen off all the horses.

Everything I posted is factual stan. Do I think Labour will do a better job -I doubt it. That said they'll have better economic stability to start with but will still mess it up down the line, we all know that. Rinse / repeat.

Everything I posted is factual stan. Do I think Labour will do a better job -I doubt it. That said they'll have better economic stability to start with but will still mess it up down the line, we all know that. Rinse / repeat.
France is not in recession, Italy is not in recession. Whatever prefix you put on it the UK is in recession. The chancellor admitted today that we have not turned a corner but he hopes to in the near future. We can all quote facts.

Is it a fact that a technical recession is an indicator of strong capable economic management ?

Is it a fact that the impact on jobs, housing, funding public services is for the better or worse ?

France is not in recession, Italy is not in recession. Whatever prefix you put on it the UK is in recession. The chancellor admitted today that we have not turned a corner but he hopes to in the near future. We can all quote facts.
France double dip recession 20,21
Italy 3 recessions in a decade prior to COVID
Took all of 20 seconds to Google.

The cherry picking is embarrassing enough let alone the desperation of clinging to it to confirm your hardwired bias.

;