Non - Brexit

Ask not what you can do for your country but what your country can do for you.

How will international travel restrictions be maintained if workers commute from europe?

Here he is. Mad as a box of frogs. Wanted to kick the buggers out, now he wants them back so he can get cheap bar staff.
Remember Guys "NEVERSPOONS"

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/wethersp...RViQFYTJ5khV4YzLsrSFMMSte8OS6juiqKuYGeqSNKqFI
That is the most hilarious thing I've read in weeks. I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st.

The guy hasn't changed his views has he?

"And for me personally, people who are in the current EU countries should in the future be entitled to come and work in the UK."

Obviously we have a lot of pro big business people like Stan on this board who think that people like Tim Martin exploiting cheap labour is a good thing but personally I hope brexit forces him to pay his staff proper wages.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/wetherspoon-founder-tim-martin-backing-11451968

The hospitality industry seems to still have a model of low paid high turnover staff.

How does it change to also provide careers for those who want them?

Here he is. Mad as a box of frogs. Wanted to kick the buggers out, now he wants them back so he can get cheap bar staff.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/wethersp...RViQFYTJ5khV4YzLsrSFMMSte8OS6juiqKuYGeqSNKqFI
If you bothered to take the time to look at Tim Martins views over EU and other nationals rights to work in the UK you will find that he has never advocated either "kicking the buggers out" or stopping them coming in to work. Leaving the EU was never about immigration for Tim Martin. He has received and published countless apologies from various newspapers and TV stations who have wrongly accused him of saying such things.
As for paying his staff I understand from knowing a few of the that they are paid above the living wage.
https://inews.co.uk/news/consumer/wethspoon-tim-martin-living-wage-owen-jones-guardian-row-259358#:~:text=“In fact, Wetherspoon pays over 15.8 per cent,living wage that applies to people over 25.
just to wind you up I will drink a toast to Wetherspoons this evening.

Last edited:
The hospitality industry seems to still have a model of low paid high turnover staff.

How does it change to also provide careers for those who want them?
Don't know. I will have to ask my nephew who joined them aged 16 as a part time kitchen helper and glass collector, went full time having left school with minimal qualifications and then within 5 years at age 23 was pub General Manager at the very large and busy Wetherspoons in Milton Keynes. He left after a few years to manage pubs in Central London and Bucks.
Perhaps rolling up your sleeves and doing some hard graft works............................

Only if you are above the rank of barman (Barperson)
Shift leaders pay better.
Well obviously they pay better, its called a more responsible job. From what I am told by bar staff where I frequent they in general receive above the minimum wage according to age and are entitled to company shares, profit share and bonus as well. Tim Martin did do quite a long piece on their pay and bonus structure as well as the Co's tax payments to the UK government in his most recent magazine. Worth reading. I am not sure why Wetherspoon and Tim Martin get singled out compared to other pub chains - perhaps because they are very successful and sell affordable beer and food and their competitors don't like it.

Well obviously they pay better, its called a more responsible job. From what I am told by bar staff where I frequent they in general receive above the minimum wage according to age and are entitled to company shares, profit share and bonus as well. Tim Martin did do quite a long piece on their pay and bonus structure as well as the Co's tax payments to the UK government in his most recent magazine. Worth reading. I am not sure why Wetherspoon and Tim Martin get singled out compared to other pub chains - perhaps because they are very successful and sell affordable beer and food and their competitors don't like it.

I did a week in a Wetherspoons when leaving the Navy. I say a week, I did 3 days.
Sylvan Moon in Northwood.

Ever had a Wethersppons breakfast and wondered why the bacon has black bits on it?
That's due to it being cooked on an unclean griddle that the previous night was charring steaks.
A practice that seems to be alive and well till this day.

As for one in Birmingham saying Eggs Benedict was off the menu as they had no poached eggs in....that left me rolling on the floor.

I had a good read of the magazine on Sunday whilst having a large breakfast. As you say, a lot of apologies for reporting inaccuracies and staff that have been with them for a long time have shares with a significant value.

I did a week in a Wetherspoons when leaving the Navy. I say a week, I did 3 days.
Sylvan Moon in Northwood.

Ever had a Wethersppons breakfast and wondered why the bacon has black bits on it?
That's due to it being cooked on an unclean griddle that the previous night was charring steaks.
A practice that seems to be alive and well till this day.

As for one in Birmingham saying Eggs Benedict was off the menu as they had no poached eggs in....that left me rolling on the floor.
Had plenty of Spoons breakfasts and never had a problem with any of them.
In the latest National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme scores run by local authorities Wetherspoons scored 4.96 out of 5 across a total of 793 pubs assessed. This was the highest score of any large pub chain and put them in 7th place nationally in the listing of all large national food outlets.
Maybe you were unlucky or they saw you coming, or perhaps things have changed since you left the Navy. ;)
Regarding their beer, they had 242 of their pubs in the 2021CAMRA Good Beer Guide, by far the highest number of any pub chain or brewer. And before you say it - no they don't buy out of date or past sell by date beer.

Quite the strawman Al, given it totally misrepresents his quotes!

Anyway I'm off to Spoons for a proper English breakie and a pint of proper British beer wearing my Union flag underpants and England shirt, singing God Save the Queen with all the other proud patriots* cheers :)

*May not be totally true. Rarely my first choice but Spoons is ok, does what it says on the tin.

Regarding their beer, they had 242 of their pubs in the 2021CAMRA Good Beer Guide, by far the highest number of any pub chain or brewer. And before you say it - no they don't buy out of date or past sell by date beer.

They do buy late date beer though: they sell it cheaply, it doesn't go to waste.
As far as I can see everyone benefits except those paragons of virtue, the other big pub cos.

Don't know. I will have to ask my nephew who joined them aged 16 as a part time kitchen helper and glass collector, went full time having left school with minimal qualifications and then within 5 years at age 23 was pub General Manager at the very large and busy Wetherspoons in Milton Keynes. He left after a few years to manage pubs in Central London and Bucks.
Perhaps rolling up your sleeves and doing some hard graft works............................
well done to him

F*ck me, Norman Tebbit frequents this board.

"And for me personally, people who are in the current EU countries should in the future be entitled to come and work in the UK."

Obviously we have a lot of pro big business people like Stan on this board who think that people like Tim Martin exploiting cheap labour is a good thing but personally I hope brexit forces him to pay his staff proper wages.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/wetherspoon-founder-tim-martin-backing-11451968
Congratulations.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/wetherspoon-founder-tim-martin-backing-11451968[/QUOT
This from the man who said that the destruction of the hospitality trade by Brexit and Covid was a good thing.

;