Non - Brexit

Confusing the uk with 1 of the equal partners that make it up shows the post hasn't been thought through and doesn't improve the debate.

I'm not confused about the difference between the UK and England. I am from England, which is part of Great Britain, which is part of the UK. There's no confusion and I've no idea why you're trying to tell me that there is.

In 2017 we were at Devils Bridge and got talking to a couple, the husband was English and the wife Welsh.

It turns out during our conversation it came to the Welsh language and she mentioned she could understand some of the language in parts of Spain.

You may find this below interesting.

But what is the truth of our origins? Over to Professor Stephen Oppenheimer of Oxford University, who says some 81% of the Welsh have DNA evidence which shows a common link to ancestors who came to Britain from northern Spain many thousands of years ago.

In fact, many Britons share a gene pool that can be traced back to Basque. Around three-quarters of the Welsh, Scots and English can be traced to those who arrived from the Basque country between 7,500 and 15,000 years ago.

Based on research into DNA studies across the UK and Ireland over the past 10 years, the professor's theory on British origins challenges mainstream historical views. And it might horrify those who like to think they are a distinct race apart from the English.

Most people in Scotland, Ireland and Wales were assumed to be descended from Celtic farming tribes who migrated here from central Europe up to 6,500 years ago. The English were thought to largely take their genetic line from the Anglo-Saxon invaders of the Dark Ages who supposedly wiped out the Celts in England.

But that's all part of a "Celtic myth", says Professor Oppenheimer in The Origins of the British: A Genetic Detective Story.

"The majority of the gene pool of the British Isles is very ancient and dates to the era after the last great Ice Age. It has nothing to do with Celts or Anglo-Saxons or any more recent ethnic labels.

"The Ice Age made Britain a polar desert and there was nobody living here around 13,000 BC until the first settlers came to the British Isles from the Basque country of northern Spain between 15,000 and 7,500 years ago.

"Something like three-quarters of the ancestors of our modern gene pool arrived then.

"The ancestors of some 88% of the Irish, 81% of the Welsh, 79% of the Cornish, 70% of Scots and 68% of the English arrived here during that period. None of the later immigrations contributed anything more than 5% to the gene pool."

So genetically speaking, according to the Professor, a member of Green College, Oxford, the Welsh have more in common with the English than they have differences.

"There is also no evidence of Celtic languages being spoken until much later, so most of these people probably spoke something like Basque, and though it is controversial, there is structural evidence of Basque influence on later Celtic languages and English as well."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/basque-ing-in-welsh-dna-2281798

So, we’ve switched it to how many readers?
This was the original comment:
"What you have to remember Al is that 50% of our media is pro EU and will regurgitate anything that meets that worldview, just as the other half will do likewise for the opposite".

I think its fair to say that this regurgitation isn't at 50%. And if I said that 1 Daily Mail was equal to 1 Sun newspaper that would be a distortion.

"What you have to remember Al is that 50% of our media is pro EU and will regurgitate anything that meets that worldview, just as the other half will do likewise for the opposite".

I think its fair to say that this regurgitation isn't at 50%. And if I said that 1 Daily Mail was equal to 1 Sun newspaper that would be a distortion.
Your inner Tory coming out there. :)

I've not been able to follow all of the last couple pages (it lost me a bit!), but I'd add that the media is made up of more than print alone Rob. TV news for example is increasingly editorialised now, far as I can see.

Is the exact editorial preference split across the media 50%? I don't really know to be honest. It was more to represent the fact that it is polarised into the 2 camps. Perhaps 'one side' and 'the other side' would have been a better phrasing of my original comment.

[
Nothing like stretching the 2 vaccines further apart to make it seem more.
Like the covid tests, a nose and mouth test on the same person counted as 2 tests???
And the best..Our nephew worked at Creekmoor testing site.
Weekends were dead. Maybe 30 tests between 8am and noon.
He would be sent for his lunch hour, and came back to find 500 tests had been done.
This did not happen once, but several weekends.
470 tests in the hour the staff were sent for lunch.
Enough said really.

He quit. Trying to help folk, but sussed the bullshit right away.
If only we could be up there with France on this....

If the EU don't pull their finger out and get themselves some realistic aims..they could well have signalled their own end.. the whole set up of what its evolved into ..is utter chaos...and it only took a crisis like Covid to send it into a vortex of infinite doom.
Whereas Britain can strike out now..do what it likes...with its own Money intact and controlling itself!
I think France and Germany will eventually each go solo!

From the same author...

The idea of the Prime Minister as ‘first among equals’ is a polite fiction — and always has been. Leaders are meant to lead. If they can’t direct their deputies, they’re done for. But Boris Johnson has gone further than any previous PM. For him and his right-hand men, ‘taking back control’ is like charity — it begins at home. The only power base allowed anywhere in Whitehall is in Downing Street. Not even the Treasury is exempt.

Hence the drama of the post-election reshuffle, back in February. The Chancellor of the Exchequer, Sajid Javid, was told to sack his advisors and make room for a team of Downing Street heavies. Honourably, he refused — and so he was forced out too.
The message was unambiguous: the whole Cabinet, from the Chancellor down, would have to submit to central control — or else. Henceforth, the relationship between Number 10 and every minister, no matter how senior, would be modelled on that between Matthew Corbett and Sooty.

And yet the puppet show has not gone to plan.
Last month, the chief puppeteer — Dominic Cummings — lost the battle for Downing Street. While he’d eliminated all resistance in the Cabinet room, he hadn’t accounted for the upstairs flat. Big mistake.

And then there’s the Prime Minister himself — who these days looks like a ghost at his own feast. All leaders fade away eventually, but the pace of events has accelerated his career trajectory. To sink from conquering hero to yesterday’s man in a space of a year is going some.
Finally, and most tellingly, there are the puppets. The supposedly synchronised Cabinet is all over the place. Their individual performances range from stellar to abysmal. So, as it turns out, who you appoint to the top jobs still matters, no matter how centralised your style of government.

The PM's cabinet of puppets and placemen - UnHerd

and once again as regular as clockwork Jimnnina ...” no look over there “ it’s a Boris ”
This is Brexit maybe you should start your very own Boris bashing thread .It’s quite incredible that you can’t even bring yourself to criticize the EU and their recent actions even slightly ..anything absolutely anything other than admitting the EU are ( as remainers like to say about the UK ) a complete worldwide laughing stock .
But hey it’s just jimnnina so why am I even bothering .

oh edited to say : You know he’s going to get re-elected right ? ;)

From the same author...

The idea of the Prime Minister as ‘first among equals’ is a polite fiction — and always has been. Leaders are meant to lead. If they can’t direct their deputies, they’re done for. But Boris Johnson has gone further than any previous PM. For him and his right-hand men, ‘taking back control’ is like charity — it begins at home. The only power base allowed anywhere in Whitehall is in Downing Street. Not even the Treasury is exempt.

Hence the drama of the post-election reshuffle, back in February. The Chancellor of the Exchequer, Sajid Javid, was told to sack his advisors and make room for a team of Downing Street heavies. Honourably, he refused — and so he was forced out too.
The message was unambiguous: the whole Cabinet, from the Chancellor down, would have to submit to central control — or else. Henceforth, the relationship between Number 10 and every minister, no matter how senior, would be modelled on that between Matthew Corbett and Sooty.

And yet the puppet show has not gone to plan.
Last month, the chief puppeteer — Dominic Cummings — lost the battle for Downing Street. While he’d eliminated all resistance in the Cabinet room, he hadn’t accounted for the upstairs flat. Big mistake.

And then there’s the Prime Minister himself — who these days looks like a ghost at his own feast. All leaders fade away eventually, but the pace of events has accelerated his career trajectory. To sink from conquering hero to yesterday’s man in a space of a year is going some.
Finally, and most tellingly, there are the puppets. The supposedly synchronised Cabinet is all over the place. Their individual performances range from stellar to abysmal. So, as it turns out, who you appoint to the top jobs still matters, no matter how centralised your style of government.

The PM's cabinet of puppets and placemen - UnHerd

Classic Jim!

The distraction tactics
The whataboutism

It's his same ole 'look over there' routine at full tilt!

ANYTHING but process just how badly the EU mask has properly slipped this time

The uk is not part of the eu.

The uk is governed by the uk government.

Always good to better the opposition using their tactics though a scapegoat or two could be added.

The telegraph and mail recognise boris is a liability rather than an asset only the express remaining a full on supporter.
Interesting budget coming up which will share out the benefits of taking back control.

;