Non - Champions League Final

simon jordan on TS often puts forward a different & interesting view. the so called "english disease" of hooliganism is false, and exists because we (our media, and society) raise it more & make a thing of it (see post above). the truth, maybe, is that hooliganism has often, and is, far worse in other countries - italy, france, spain, russia etc to name a few.

simon jordan on TS often puts forward a different & interesting view. the so called "english disease" of hooliganism is false, and exists because we (our media, and society) raise it more & make a thing of it (see post above). the truth, maybe, is that hooliganism has often, and is, far worse in other countries - italy, france, spain, russia etc to name a few.
Not long ago, I'd have put Poland and The Netherlands at the start of that list.

Talking of pre match entertainment, whatever happened to The Cherriettes??

Bring back the old marching band, (the Bournemouth Silver Band as I recall) with Captain Mainwaring leading them round the pitch twirling his mace and getting a great cheer every time he dropped it. Much more entertaining than a random selection of unfit blokes trying to hit the crossbar at half time.

Last edited:
I see a French politician is again pointing the finger of blame at "a large number of British supporters arriving at the gates, either without tickets, or with fake tickets".
What a load of absolute BS.
Firstly, how would they have got through the outer security without tickets?
Secondly, if anyone was trying to blag their way in, would they be doing so 3 hours or so before kick-off?
There was clearly some kind of IT failure, and the system was rejecting genuine tickets. Following this, the treatment of the supporters stuck in the middle (and these would be the most loyal and dedicated LFC followers) was evidently disgraceful. Wheel-clamping an 84-year old woman in a wheelchair behind a Portakabin until after the game has finished - are they for real?

Tear gas was the only way the French police could protect themselves from the children and Sky Sports staff looking to tear them limb from limb.

I think Old Cherry mentioned the stigma attached to the English fan being an English hooligan. Yet, in the PL fans see no fencing, no caged segregation, no riot police ( except Millwall) no segregated approach to the stadium( except Millwall off the train) and a generally good well behaved atmosphere. It's different on the continent. I think in part in the Liverpool situation and the French you have to understand how the French authorities are and act accordingly. We know what they're like and they react so if they make entry to their country difficult you just have to grin and bear their attitude towards the English and wait patiently. Same in the streets, observe their rules accordingly, same outside the stadium, wait patiently and give them no reason to react. Shouting and moaning and complaining gets you nowhere with the French authorities. Grin and bear it, do what you went to do and get the hell out of there. Only my opinion and probably complete bo11ocks

Yes listened to that this morning. Definitely not the English disease anymore.

Do the French hand out any sentences or what? It's mental over there (the St. Ettienne match) - Could imagine it getting like that here if there wasn't any deterrence..like being sent to prison.

Just seen on the news,a young lad (around 20) simply going through turnstile and being sprayed right in his face.
As has already been alluded to it seems the authorities were prepared for trouble and when none occurred ,went out to find it anyway.

Great to see Madely this morning on GMB doing mental gymnastics between doing the mental tut "typical football Hooligans" and blaming Johnny foreigner.

He came down on the side of blaming the French and it being revenge for Agincourt and Brexit but you could see he was torn because he really wanted to have a good moan about us football supporters.

Gendarme clearly to heavy handed , snd they should have been much better at crowd control, outer security, etc etc. Then some of the initial causes (no/fake tickets) wouldn't have had such a negative impact.

However, I always find it frustrating when any group, (in this case L'pool but could easily replace by any other), refuse to accept any part of the blame.
Who produced and sold the fake tickets? Anyone around Liverpool?
How many LFC fans got in the stadium without tickets?
They ALL contributed, but they never accept even 1% of any blame, which certainly contributes to being tarnished with 'playing the victim' card

Gendarme clearly to heavy handed , snd they should have been much better at crowd control, outer security, etc etc. Then some of the initial causes (no/fake tickets) wouldn't have had such a negative impact.

However, I always find it frustrating when any group, (in this case L'pool but could easily replace by any other), refuse to accept any part of the blame.
Who produced and sold the fake tickets? Anyone around Liverpool?
How many LFC fans got in the stadium without tickets?
They ALL contributed, but they never accept even 1% of any blame, which certainly contributes to being tarnished with 'playing the victim' card

Also from the video coverage/reporting that has come out, how many French people got in without tickets and the same can be said for those Real Madrid fans reported and shown on video climbing over the fences as well?

All the blame had/has been laid at the Liverpool fans door and no mention of Real Madrid fans.

Seems to me as they got over the fences the stewards/security made a grab for them, but once past they were not pursued up the stairs.

Was any tear gas used on those people?

France24

The scenes tarnished the image of the French capital, raising questions about its ability to host sporting events as it gears up for the 2024 sporting showpiece, as well as the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

Oudea-Castera expressed regret that "some supporters who had tickets were not able to access the match".

Monday's meeting at the sports ministry, due to start at 0900 GMT, will involve European football governing body UEFA, French football chiefs and the French police.

"The priority now is to identify very precisely what went wrong... in order to learn all the lessons so that such incidents do not happen again at our future major international sporting events," said Oudea-Cast

https://www.france24.com/en/live-ne...g-to-prevent-repeat-of-champions-league-chaos
I think it highly unlikely that there will be any trouble at the Rugby Union World Cup other than the odd skirmish between English, Irish and Scotsmen after a few too many pastis.

Also from the video coverage/reporting that has come out, how many French people got in without tickets and the same can be said for those Real Madrid fans reported and shown on video climbing over the fences as well?

All the blame had/has been laid at the Liverpool fans door and no mention of Real Madrid fans.

Seems to me as they got over the fences the stewards/security made a grab for them, but once past they were not pursued up the stairs.

Was any tear gas used on those people?
Yep, all part of the poor crowd control

Unfortunately, Liverpool fans had a history of thousands turning up without (real) tickets long before Hillsborough.

That reputation had been around for generations and isn't likely to go away any time soon.

Let's hope there's less effort to cover up the police failings than when 90-odd died. Lessons being learned would be better than just pointing the finger of blame.
Do you have proof regarding these assertions?

Saw a journo on the telly saying the barcode readers were rejecting their credentials too so they may not have been forged tickets.

;