Non- Dorset councils

billythekid

UTC Legend
Has anyone filled in the questionnaire?

When you read the story in the Echo today and live in Christchurch, there are two conflicting views on how much the people of Christchurch. will be paying.

First this:

Mr Chope claims he has been told Christchurch residents would be paying twice over for services which could include public conveniences, cemeteries, allotments, verge maintenance and recreational facilities.

“Under options 2a and 2b these services would continue to be provided at no extra cost to residents in Poole and Bournemouth.

“The replication of such services in Christchurch under a town council would also make a mockery of the avowed objective of the reorganisation to remove duplication.

“Great efforts have been put into trying to disguise the stealth tax bombshell for residents of Christchurch which has now been revealed”, he added.

Then this:

Chief executive defends position on council tax

THE chief executive of Dorset County Council has defended the council tax harmonisation process, saying Christchurch residents would pay less if a merger went ahead.

Debbie Ward has responded to concerns raised by MP Chris Chope (see opposite).

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14819894.Supercouncil_consultation_a__tax_bombshell_for_residents_of_Christchurch___says_MP/

Bournemouth will decide the level of council tax in the new greater bournemouth councils r us, with the added option of stealth tax like charging for green bin collection.

The Dorset Council executive claimed Christchurch residents could see their council tax rise by a lower amount;
not quite the same as paying less than now.

Well I know who I believe! There is a faction led by Chope that wants Christchurch separated from the rest of the conurbation, and consigned to a backwater authority covering the remainder of the county for purely selfish reasons. They need to be defeated.

And yes, I voted for option 2a.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/yoursay/letterstotheeditor/14787453.Strong_case_for_Option_2a/

I do not have a vote, just an interested observer. 2a seems the most logical to my view. Get all 3 of our intermingled towns, plus their immediate surrounding living/commuting belt, under one council that can make decisions with the whole area on the table. Decisions around the future of the conurbation's habitation and transportation need to be taken in a joint up way.

I have completed the survey. My feeling, and yes I do fall under Christchurch, is that we shouldn't be grouped with just Poole and Bournemouth. The area covered by Christchurch council is generally more rural than Bournemouth and Poole and that needs representation. I'd at least like to see East Dorset sitting with us to preserve the checks and balances that will hopefully stop us from being swallowed up by the 2 larger urban areas.

I'd also like to see Christopher Chope removed somehow, vile creature that he is, but that's another subject!

One of these be careful what you wish for scenarios.

I submitted a FOI request to East Dorset DC asking what the tax take is from Verwood versus Wimborne, plus how much the council spends per head of population in Verwood and Wimborne.

The answered the first part (Verwood pays ~£1,200,000 p.a. and Wimborne ~£550,000 p.a.) but wouldn't answer the second part.

Possibly because Wimborne has a secondary school, swimming pool, police station that's manned, ambulance station, hospital, large fire-station and plenty of amenities, whilst Verwood has no school, no pool, no police station open to the public, no hospital, small fire-station and no nicely rejuvenated market square.

There will be another 230 house being built in Verwood though, coughing up another £550,000 per annum for EDDC to spend.

Where do EDDC operate from? Why, Colehill of course.

Christchurch will be royally shat upon if the combined council goes ahead.

ForbiddenFruit - 25/10/2016 16:16

I have completed the survey. My feeling, and yes I do fall under Christchurch, is that we shouldn't be grouped with just Poole and Bournemouth. The area covered by Christchurch council is generally more rural than Bournemouth and Poole and that needs representation. I'd at least like to see East Dorset sitting with us to preserve the checks and balances that will hopefully stop us from being swallowed up by the 2 larger urban areas.

I'd also like to see Christopher Chope removed somehow, vile creature that he is, but that's another subject!

Agree with para 1.

As far as Chope goes his seat will cease to exist.

AFCB_REPUBLICAN - 25/10/2016 15:50

Well I know who I believe! There is a faction led by Chope that wants Christchurch separated from the rest of the conurbation, and consigned to a backwater authority covering the remainder of the county for purely selfish reasons. They need to be defeated.

I don't like this, they have every right to ask questions.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14819904.Two_Tories_under_threat_of_expulsion_for_questioning_supercouncil_consultation/?ref=mac

rgb - 25/10/2016 17:10

I submitted a FOI request to East Dorset DC asking what the tax take is from Verwood versus Wimborne, plus how much the council spends per head of population in Verwood and Wimborne.

The answered the first part (Verwood pays ~£1,200,000 p.a. and Wimborne ~£550,000 p.a.) but wouldn't answer the second part.

Possibly because Wimborne has a secondary school, swimming pool, police station that's manned, ambulance station, hospital, large fire-station and plenty of amenities, whilst Verwood has no school, no pool, no police station open to the public, no hospital, small fire-station and no nicely rejuvenated market square.

There will be another 230 house being built in Verwood though, coughing up another £550,000 per annum for EDDC to spend.

I am pretty sure the Council offices in Furzehill/Colehill are currently being closed and most of the jobs being relocated to Christchurch. the building at Furzehill is being sold.

rgb - 25/10/2016 17:10

I'm Verwood and feel the same - this town pays so much in council tax but get bugger all in return. I'd guess that we have as many people living here as they do in Ferndown and Wimborne yet have no real sports centre, swimming pool etc.. and the kids have to be bussed to Wimborne and Ferndown for upper schools :thumsd:

EARLY figures indicate some 14,000 Dorset residents responded to the eight week public consultation on super councils.

They show 4,192 responses to the household survey and 9,960 responses to the open consultation - of which 8,911 were given online. The consultation ended on Tuesday.

A final proposal for the future of local government in Dorset, which could see the county’s nine councils rearranged into two unitary authorities, will be decided in a series of meetings in January.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14826469.The_supercouncil_consultation_has_ended__here__39_s_how_many_of_you_responded___/#comments-anchor

When I have a bit more time I will add my 2d worth as it's not as straightforward as it seems.

Briefly on the main topic though - EDDC is being offered up as a cash cow to the new Dorset Authority and now that is has no Officers of it's own and the shared ones it does have are all based in Christchurch, there is 'no going back'. Add the fact that Furzehill has been virtually mothballed since last April and officially so this month (and on the market) there would be huge logistical problems to recreate a District Council. In addition the costs would be prohibitively expensive.

In any event the Government drive is towards large Unitary Authorities and the removal of District Councils altogether.

The existing Unitary Authorities have much larger populations so will be able to outvote Christchurch and East Dorset in the new supercouncil. They also have very limited development land compared to these areas. Wonder what will happen...

Bournemouth have already decided the future direction, no need for public or private meetings, fortunately the New Forest is a national park which might slow down the developers.

Views of 384 residents, democratic or not?

Dorset's nine local authorities, which are proposing to merge into just two unitary authorities, sent questionnaires to 20,000 addresses across the county and received just 4,258 responses.

An open consultation questionnaire received 12,536 responses.

Poole provided the biggest overall response to the consultation, with 781 replies to the household survey and 2,625 to the open survey. Bournemouth was close behind with 670 and 2,048 responses respectively.

Smaller towns and areas provided similar levels of feedback to each other.

East Dorset saw 554 household and 1,433 open responses, West Dorset 508 and 1,414 and Christchurch 459 and 1,409.

Purbeck provided 453 and 656, North Dorset 439 and 632 and Weymouth and Portland 391 and 694.

The councils say it is "impractical" to obtain the views of all residents, and that it is possible to be "95 per cent confident" that views from a random sample of 384 residents will reflect those of the entire population with little margin for error.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14910834.Supercouncil_consultation__Councils___39_95_per_cent_confident__39__that_sample_of_384_responses_will_reflect_residents__39__views/

"STOP marching around screaming your fury at the result when many of you couldn’t even bothered to vote."

seems to be a theme for local, national and international democracy.

The key question for the reshaping of SuperBomo is 'how will it impact the prices of my property?'

Read more: http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=73563&start=661#ixzz4QG89fLEE

well if they send out 20,000 and only 21% can be bothered to reply (I did :hihi: ) then why should they send out more. If they have public meetings its only the same people that attend every time. Just get on with it.

redharry - 17/11/2016 10:04

well if they send out 20,000 and only 21% can be bothered to reply (I did :hihi: ) then why should they send out more. If they have public meetings its only the same people that attend every time. Just get on with it.

I did reply as well, but to take the views of only 384 of people who returned survey or filled it in online is democratic, I don't think so.

Who will pick the 384?

;