Non Emma Raducanu

Whatever country you want to decide on for her…doesn’t take away the fact that she is truly top young player and potentially a superstar of professional tennis…really great to watch her progress…well done Emma!

I get it in a way in a sporting context that you have to see some rules for identity.

But when someone moves to the UK as a child and grows up as English, then why can’t they see themselves as English?

Raheem Sterling according to wiki born in Jamaica to Jamaican parents. But he’s lived in England since he was 5, so if he sees himself as English then he’s English.

If he moved here at 18 and represented Jamaica throughout his childhood, then in a sporting context the clarity begins to get blurry.

With Emma she’s been in England since she was 2, how can she be anything but English when she has no memory of anything other than being English?

Whatever country you want to decide on for her…doesn’t take away the fact that she is truly top young player and potentially a superstar of professional tennis…really great to watch her progress…well done Emma!
Ah, absolutely. Like I said more than happy for her to be a Brit and also be a successful tennis star. Definitely good on her

I get it in a way in a sporting context that you have to see some rules for identity.

But when someone moves to the UK as a child and grows up as English, then why can’t they see themselves as English?

Raheem Sterling according to wiki born in Jamaica to Jamaican parents. But he’s lived in England since he was 5, so if he sees himself as English then he’s English.

If he moved here at 18 and represented Jamaica throughout his childhood, then in a sporting context the clarity begins to get blurry.

With Emma she’s been in England since she was 2, how can she be anything but English when she has no memory of anything other than being English?
..but to some only true Saxon blood counts as British…or as some prefer English!…

This ere Emmer Radc'u will get destroyed by the Hype, the Gush and eventual pressure from our Press and TV..wait and see !
We have to learn to wait until a player has actually won something before we pile it on.

I'm old school. Country of birth is your nationality but as she's half decent we'll take her !
I think coming out and saying that John Barnes is not English and can never be English, is a bit tactless into today's society. As far as I'm concerned, John Barnes is as English as I am. So is Emma Raducanu.

;