Non - General Election

The Tory capitalist system is in the process of destroying itself. He wants to topple greed based economic forces to improve our "way of life" not destroy it. You only have to look at the poverty around us and the shocking state of public services in this country to see that "our way of life" that Paul seems to be so worried about is not exactly working as it stands.

Capitalism in the British Isles (pre the UK) started during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I – 1558 to 1603 – a good 100 years before the Tory Party came into existence.

It was started by people who were of the sort, portrayed as being on the Small Council, in the first book/series of Game of Thrones.

Capitalism in the British Isles (pre the UK) started during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I – 1558 to 1603 – a good 100 years before the Tory Party came into existence.

It was started by people who were of the sort, portrayed as being on the Small Council, in the first book/series of Game of Thrones.

Fair enough but I was referring to neoclassical economics that came out of Chicago in the 1970s and was adopted by Reagan and Thatcher. Deregulation, private ownership, monetarism, etc. Hence why I don't agree that it is our "way of life".

Good start to the day......went to local Clinic for Flu jab....usual queue of old folk . most in on buses from the sticks....after receiving letters to remind them....
To be told after about an hour of confusion....that the Jabs are not available for an "unknown as yet period"... "its because of.. " Brexit Uncertainty" ..the girl on reception actually said that....here as I sit with a#se pointing downwards!
Subsequent phone call by myself to same receptionist on returning home .....told that it was nothing to do with Brexit....it was a mistake about dates...from computer ...to printer...to letters!
People are instinctively and impulsively using Brexit as a leaning post...for diversion !

Corbyn has ministers?
I believe 21 ex ministers, have had the whip withdrawn in the HoC. No expulsions.
"Johnson’s own brother Jo was so appalled by the expulsion of the 21 MPs that he is leaving politics altogether".

Have i got that bit wrong then?

For someone who started your day off by calling me stupid you're not doing yourself many favours tbh Jim.

Monetary policy for the UK is set by the Bank of England based on what is best for the United Kingdom. Whether it is independent or not (which, let's face it, is debatable for a start) the UK having it's own currency allows it to tailor it's monetary policy to it's specific needs. It impacts all of the things you mention by boosting or slowing the economy.

Here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monetary_policy?wprov=sfla1

The policy of austerity isnt dependent on the currency.
Making the currency paramount is the tail wagging the dog.

If the uk currency was called groats would there be a stronger economy providing jobs, housing, infrastructure, education ?

So the unelected bank of england has precedence in deciding what is best for the uk, whatever their definition of best is?

It wasnt an edit of the original post. It was higlighting that I wan't the only person using the word expulsion.

So, are you saying they have not been expelled? I'm unclear as to their exact status.

The policy of austerity isnt dependent on the currency.
Making the currency paramount is the tail wagging the dog.

If the uk currency was called groats would there be a stronger economy providing jobs, housing, infrastructure, education ?

So the unelected bank of england has precedence in deciding what is best for the uk, whatever their definition of best is?

Jim, you've got no idea what you're talking about. You're confusing fiscal and monetary policy. You're fixated on the name of the currency, which is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is that it is a different currency from the euro, which allows us to set our own monetary policy. Your original point was that it doesn't matter if we have the euro or sterling - it might not matter what they are called but it definitely does matter that they are different currencies.

Now, there is an argument to be made that adopting the euro could be beneficial, not by you obviously because you don't really understand what a currency is by the sounds of it. Sorry to be so blunt but you did start off today accusing me of stupidity and then you've spent every post since demonstrating that you don't know what you are talking about so you've got it coming I'm afraid.

It wasnt an edit of the original post. It was higlighting that I wan't the only person using the word expulsion.

So, are you saying they have not been expelled? I'm unclear as to their exact status.

I missed the post where somebody referred to the Jo Johnson resignation.

"Johnson’s own brother Jo was so appalled by the expulsion of the 21 MPs that he is leaving politics altogether"

in your reply to me.

It's my understanding, that the 21 have had the Whip withdrawn in the HoC but have not been expelled from the Conservative Party.
Thus, they remain members of the CP.

I missed the post where somebody referred to the Jo Johnson resignation.

"Johnson’s own brother Jo was so appalled by the expulsion of the 21 MPs that he is leaving politics altogether"

in your reply to me.

It's my understanding, that the 21 have had the Whip withdrawn in the HoC but have not been expelled from the Conservative Party.
Thus, they remain members of the CP.
Wrong. They have had the whip withdrawn and have been deselected. They are no longer members of the Tory Party. They have, indeed, been expelled.

Wrong. They have had the whip withdrawn and have been deselected. They are no longer members of the Tory Party. They have, indeed, been expelled.

Are you sure? They had one on the radio this morning (didn't catch who it was) who said as things stand he's planning on standing for the Conservative party at the next general election. Deselection may happen but I think you're getting ahead of yourself.

Reactions: rgb
Jim, you've got no idea what you're talking about. You're confusing fiscal and monetary policy. You're fixated on the name of the currency, which is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is that it is a different currency from the euro, which allows us to set our own monetary policy. Your original point was that it doesn't matter if we have the euro or sterling - it might not matter what they are called but it definitely does matter that they are different currencies.

Now, there is an argument to be made that adopting the euro could be beneficial, not by you obviously because you don't really understand what a currency is by the sounds of it. Sorry to be so blunt but you did start off today accusing me of stupidity and then you've spent every post since demonstrating that you don't know what you are talking about so you've got it coming I'm afraid.

Neither is dependent on the adopted currency.

Are you sure? They had one on the radio this morning (didn't catch who it was) who said as things stand he's planning on standing for the Conservative party at the next general election. Deselection may happen but I think you're getting ahead of yourself.

He is getting ahead of himself.

The MPs who have had the Whip withdrawn, have been effectively removed from the Parliamentary Party.
If an MP doesn't hold the Whip, they can not stand for election as an official Conservative MP (same with Labour)
They can stand, as an independant Conservative (there has been a court case on this in years gone by)
The local Conservative association, can select the current MP, who has had the Whip withdrawn (Hammond was reselected by his local association lasty week) but CCHQ, can veto that selection and demand the LA either select another candidate, or expel the entire LA from the CP if the LA refuses.

It's all on the web if you want to do a bit of Googling.

Unfortunately......the ultimate outcome of the present and increasing Over Population of the World...will probably be Disease and War.
Scientists know this! China is having a damn good crack at accellerating it.......aided and abetted by Trump.
Everything else is a Filler for Argument up until then. Brexit is relatively Mickey Mouse in the Big Picture !
Prepare to meet thy Doom.....other Ideas welcome!
Monetary Policy....ha!

In name only. They cannot represent their party at a general election. Their place will be taken by someone else and they will be thrown out of the Commons.

They will not be 'thrown out of the Commons' at a GE, as they all cease to be MPs after a GE has been called.

Stan, your language is very emotive; not dispassionately factual (which given we're on a football forum isn't that much of a surprise) but using tabloidesque adjectives, doesn't make the facts incorrect.

he may be planning to stand
They will not be 'thrown out of the Commons' at a GE, as they all cease to be MPs after a GE has been called.

Stan, your language is very emotive; not dispassionately factual (which given we're on a football forum isn't that much of a surprise) but using tabloidesque adjectives, doesn't make the facts incorrect.
Have it your way. The Conservative Party have made it crystal clear that they will be banned from standing as a Tory at the next election. I'm sure you and Derek can google away all you like but I prefer to listen to the news.

;