Non Glasto

This is my 11th Glasto, and it has been as awesome as ever. So many things that you just discover, beyond the main stages. My first year where I wasnt working as a steward though, so was so much better being able to do whatever we wanted when we wanted!

It's hard to describe the experience to someone who has never been. I have never experienced anything like it. It changes all your molecules. Time changes. Energy increases. Conversations with wonderful people. (once with Bianca Jagger in a q for coffee)

It always did wonders for my faith in humanity.

More moshing during the excellent Fontaines DC song. One of the very few times I get 'leg envy'! (and wish I was 40 years younger of course)!

Never been to the music but been to Glastonbury a couple of times, interesting and different place from most towns.

Last visit we walked up to the Tor in October 2019.

Last edited:
For two years running I sat at the top of a hill, miles (well maybe a mile) away from the stage at Donnington. No big screens; No accessible toilets. It rained all day, both days.

Festival goers have it soft these days. ;-)

For two years running I sat at the top of a hill, miles (well maybe a mile) away from the stage at Donnington. No big screens; No accessible toilets. It rained all day, both days.

Unless you got hit by a launched bottle of p*ss then you got away lightly Rob :)

And I bet you loved every second of it. :grinning:

I take you're familiar with this site?

https://www.ukrockfestivals.com/index.html

https://www.ukrockfestivals.com/donington-1980.html
Absolutely loved it! Same as early football, just getting there and through it was all part of the fun!

And thank you, yes, I've pored over that a few times! 81 & 82 were the years I went. Just looked at 83 and reminded myself how much I loved Diamond Head. Still do.

Unless you got hit by a launched bottle of p*ss then you got away lightly Rob :)
That was Oasis, Finsbury Park!

Absolutely loved it! Same as early football, just getting there and through it was all part of the fun!

And thank you, yes, I've pored over that a few times! 81 & 82 were the years I went. Just looked at 83 and reminded myself how much I loved Diamond Head. Still do.

That was Oasis, Finsbury Park!

Monsters of Rock is my dirty secret, I went to the first 3 and had a really nice time.

There was an awful lot of blokes in denim with long greasy hair though.

Many of these people are now pensioners.

Last edited:

I'm guessing that's pre Download? Monsters of Rock? Isn't there where all the weed smokers hang out?

I've seen wheelchairs in pits before, you shouldn't be scared to give it a go I can't speak for what the Idles or Fontaines pits are like but metalhead ones are crazy inclusive and protective. I've been in a circle pit with a pre school girl. Made me laugh that her parents put ear protectors on her but let her into the pit

I'm guessing that's pre Download? Monsters of Rock? Isn't there where all the weed smokers hang out?

I've seen wheelchairs in pits before, you shouldn't be scared to give it a go I can't speak for what the Idles or Fontaines pits are like but metalhead ones are crazy inclusive and protective. I've been in a circle pit with a pre school girl. Made me laugh that her parents put ear protectors on her but let her into the pit
Not scared, just too old! Yes, it was pre download.

Just back. Awesome weekend, really enjoyed Wolf Alice, Roisin Murphy and Metronomy. Perfect weather! Felt like there were 30% more people there than previous years, massive crowds on all the paths, to the point of almost dangerous crushes after the headliners and towards Arcadia etc.

;