Non - Harry Arter

The beginning of the 17/18 season, away to WBA, you could tell that something was up with Arter. His 16/17 season was probably the best individual season a Bournemouth centre mid has had at the top level, yet the player who turned up for the beginning of the next season was almost like a different person. No bite, no energy no passion anymore, just going through the motions. It’s very sad that his personal tragedy led to this rapid decline in his career. I will never forget his performances at home to Man U and Everton in particular, no one has even come close to replicating that level of performance for us in that position since and I highly doubt that they will. It was almost as if he were super human on these days. Easily my favourite and imo the best central midfielder to ever wear a Bournemouth shirt when in his prime.

If only Jordon Ibe and Donal McDermott hadn't been so lucky with injuries, they could be on that list : )
I never got what the fuss was about with Ibe. He was allegedly supposed to be talented but I just didn’t see it, it wasn’t as though he was inconsistent or anything like that, he was consistently very poor. Must have had a handful of decent games here at most in his four years. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a player lack so much in game intelligence, just spent 99% of his time on the ball running into people. I’m sure that his mental health didn’t help him, but I also believe he would never have made it any way based purely on ability. Just a shockingly poor signing.

McDermott on the other hand I really believe could have gone all the way to the top level if he had the correct attitude and application, his ability at times was ridiculous. Unfortunately he didn’t actually enjoy being a professional footballer and wasn’t prepared to put in the effort to be the best that he could be, he even said himself that he would prefer to have been working on a building site like all his mates were. We forget sometimes that it is just a job for players, some are happy to just coast and pick up a pay cheque!

I never got what the fuss was about with Ibe. He was allegedly supposed to be talented but I just didn’t see it, it wasn’t as though he was inconsistent or anything like that, he was consistently very poor. Must have had a handful of decent games here at most in his four years. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a player lack so much in game intelligence, just spent 99% of his time on the ball running into people. I’m sure that his mental health didn’t help him, but I also believe he would never have made it any way based purely on ability. Just a shockingly poor signing.

McDermott on the other hand I really believe could have gone all the way to the top level if he had the correct attitude and application, his ability at times was ridiculous. Unfortunately he didn’t actually enjoy being a professional footballer and wasn’t prepared to put in the effort to be the best that he could be, he even said himself that he would prefer to have been working on a building site like all his mates were. We forget sometimes that it is just a job for players, some are happy to just coast and pick up a pay cheque!

Did you see Ibe play for Birmingham/Derby in the year or so before. Albeit at Championship level, he looked an extremely good player with a lot of potential. Caused us problems too that season. Quick, direct... and with an end product. Everything about him looked very much like he'd make it at PL level after those loan spells.

Somewhat endorsed (at least back then) by the fact Liverpool had signed him and he'd played for them after being signed at young age from Wycombe. Everything pointed to it being an excellent signing at the time.

Many were excited on here when he joined, and rightly so at the time given everything we knew about him back then.

Last edited:
Did you see Ibe play for Birmingham/Derby in the year or so before. Albeit at Championship level, he looked an extremely good player with a lot of potential. Caused us problems too that season. Quick, direct... and with an end product. Everything about him looked very much like he'd make it at PL level after those loan spells.

Somewhat endorsed (at least back then) by the fact Liverpool had signed him and he'd played for them after being signed at young age from Wycombe. Everything pointed to it being an excellent signing at the time.

Many were excited on here when he joined, and rightly so at the time given everything we knew about him back then.
I didn’t no, I can only judge him based on what I saw of him in a Bournemouth shirt. A lot of players come from top academies and don’t end up making it in the pro game, I just never saw it with him.

McDermott didn't have half the natural talent that Ibe had. Both wasted what they had though.

McDermott didn't have half the natural talent that Ibe had. Both wasted what they had though.
Disagree, technically McDermott was clear of Ibe. Ibe relied on his pace, like Solanke, one of those players who shone at youth level and perhaps even in the championship where the game is a lot slower, struggled at the top level the moment he couldn’t use his physical attributes to get the better of his opponents though. The PL is becoming so dominated by physical attributes now that you will see many players that shine at youth/lower levels and then look very ordinary at the top level.

Disagree, technically McDermott was clear of Ibe. Ibe relied on his pace, like Solanke, one of those players who shone at youth level and perhaps even in the championship where the game is a lot slower, struggled at the top level the moment he couldn’t use his physical attributes to get the better of his opponents though. The PL is becoming so dominated by physical attributes now that you will see many players that shine at youth/lower levels and then look very ordinary at the top level.

The way you talk to people is so odd. As if you think you are explaining the concept of football to someone who has just walked out of a cave. Ibe was levels ahead of Donal McDermott as evidenced by the fact he did much better in the game than him. Both wasted their potential but Ibe had better potential. A quicker and more skillful player.

Especially if they then went right back up and Harry got another year.

A lot of players would without prompting praise Ibe in training and I think a couple mentioned their amazement that he couldn't transfer that to competitive games.

There was undoubted talent there, you don’t play for Wycombe at the age he did without it. You don’t get a move to Liverpool without it.

But once you don’t show the right attitude and you don’t work at it, you just don’t make it as an elite footballer. Natural talent will only get you so far.

Some (in)glorious names from our recent past in this thread :)

btw is to late to say “should never have” in relation to AC?.:throw:

There was undoubted talent there, you don’t play for Wycombe at the age he did without it. You don’t get a move to Liverpool without it.

But once you don’t show the right attitude and you don’t work at it, you just don’t make it as an elite footballer. Natural talent will only get you so far.

I got the impression before the total collapse that he trained well. I wonder if his inability to transfer his training performance to matchday was part of his mental struggle.

The way you talk to people is so odd. As if you think you are explaining the concept of football to someone who has just walked out of a cave. Ibe was levels ahead of Donal McDermott as evidenced by the fact he did much better in the game than him. Both wasted their potential but Ibe had better potential. A quicker and more skillful player.

Donal was twice the player Ibe was. Ibe however had all the physical benefits of speed and strength which Mcdermott did not so fooled many. . Donal could actually use his brain and feet. Both wasted their talent but lets not pretend Ibe was more talented...thats laughable.

PS...I love the way you posted the above and then ended with the fact he was quicker lol

Edited: Sorry Ive just remembered, in your world pace is a skill and all you need to be a top player is pace.

Donal was twice the player Ibe was. Ibe however had all the physical benefits of speed and strength which Mcdermott did not so fooled many. . Donal could actually use his brain and feet. Both wasted their talent but lets not pretend Ibe was more talented...thats laughable.

There's just nowhere to go in a discussion with people who think Donal McDermott was a better or more talented player than Jordon Ibe or with people who don't think pace is a desirable quality in a footballer. I may as well just bang my head against a wall.

PS...I love the way you posted the above and then ended with the fact he was quicker lol

Edited: Sorry Ive just remembered, in your world pace is a skill and all you need to be a top player is pace.

This is demonstrably incorrect isn't it druss. If I thought pace was a skill why did I list them as separate attributes that are part of being a good footballer?

There's just nowhere to go in a discussion with people who think Donal McDermott was a better or more talented player than Jordon Ibe or with people who don't think pace is a desirable quality in a footballer. I may as well just bang my head against a wall.

This is demonstrably incorrect isn't it druss. If I thought pace was a skill why did I list them as separate attributes that are part of being a good footballer?

Ibe was not a more skillful player than Donal. That's simply clear for anyone with eyes or a break. Kicking and running worked for so long...until it didn't.

they both had a good skill set, did donal seem more skillfull due to who he was playing against? i would say ibe shades it, there has to be a reason why ibe played at the top level for us and Liverpool where as donal played what 9 times in championship?

;