Non - Harry Arter

Ibe was not a more skillful player than Donal. That's simply clear for anyone with eyes or a break. Kicking and running worked for so long...until it didn't.

Yeah, it's just a crazy opinion. Obviously Ibe was no world beater but I think you might actually have McDermott confused with someone else. He failed in league one. His stats in league one are not much different to Ibe's in the Premier League. They both had demons that ultimately curtailed promising careers but one was a top flight career and the other was a lower league career.

Yeah, it's just a crazy opinion. Obviously Ibe was no world beater but I think you might actually have McDermott confused with someone else. He failed in league one. His stats in league one are not much different to Ibe's in the Premier League. They both had demons that ultimately curtailed promising careers but one was a top flight career and the other was a lower league career.

I think the conversation was around players not reaching their potential. Donal drunk himself into a non playing career. If he didn't have self destruct tendencies his ability was a step above anything we had at the time. His fitness, or lack of it, didnt hide his skill level.

I've read some funny stuff on here, but this argument takes it.

Mcdermott didn't play at championship level at all - unless it was during the spell with Huddersfield. 9 games.

After rejoining us he left to struggle in Ireland, then made no appearances in non league for Salford before joining Ramsbottom United in his mid twenties lol.

Ibe was a disappointment for sure, but at least he looked good... very good for a stint at championship level.

Mcdermott looked decent in league 1, for a while. He may have had a few tricks, looked silky with flair, but then so do some people who entertain crowds on the beach with their ball skills.

Ibe was quick, but had to have some semblance of ball control otherwise he'd have struggled at champ level. Pace can mitigate other weaknesses, but you have to have some technical ability or you'll never keep possession when using superior speed.

This reminds me of the comments you hear from time to time of someone claiming they went to skill with some pl level player and their brother.... the brother was wayyyyyy better, but somehow got overlooked by the one who went on to play for England.

I've read some funny stuff on here, but this argument takes it.

Mcdermott didn't play at championship level at all - unless it was during the spell with Huddersfield. 9 games.

After rejoining us he left to struggle in Ireland, then made no appearances in non league for Salford before joining Ramsbottom United in his mid twenties lol.

Ibe was a disappointment for sure, but at least he looked good... very good for a stint at championship level.

Mcdermott looked decent in league 1, for a while. He may have had a few tricks, looked silky with flair, but then so do some people who entertain crowds on the beach with their ball skills.

Ibe was quick, but had to have some semblance of ball control otherwise he'd have struggled at champ level. Pace can mitigate other weaknesses, but you have to have some technical ability or you'll never keep possession when using superior speed.

This reminds me of the comments you hear from time to time of someone claiming they went to skill with some pl level player and their brother.... the brother was wayyyyyy better, but somehow got overlooked by the one who went on to play for England.

Yeah Ibe was excellent against us at Pride Park in the Championship and they all rated him very highly there after a strong championship season. Although he was ultimately a flop he did have a few decent games in the PL for us and Liverpool.

McDermott was nowhere near that level. His nine championship games were on loan at Scunthorpe where he struggled to get in the side and was loaned to us the following season at the lower level. He did alright enough to impress Huddersfield in that playoff game but struggled to get in their side.

Feck me, I wrote a 4 paragrap[gh reply and lost it when the page refreshed.

Cant be bothered to write it all again. You win. Ibe is the best player ever to put on our shirt...

Almost as if drinking every day kept him back....clues in the conversation...

So what? Jordon Ibe clearly had his issues too. I drank every day as teenager maybe I should use your logic and claim I had better potential than both of them too.

The fact is that McDermott never showed any indications that he could be a decent top flight player and Ibe did. Both of them wasted the talent they had.

Feck me, I wrote a 4 paragrap[gh reply and lost it when the page refreshed.

Cant be bothered to write it all again. You win. Ibe is the best player ever to put on our shirt...

You spend half your time whinging about me apparently making up stuff that you've said and the other half making up things I've said. Saying someone was better than Donal McDermott is hardly a ringing endorsement druss. All-in-all for whatever reason he was crap.

So what? Jordon Ibe clearly had his issues too. I drank every day as teenager maybe I should use your logic and claim I had better potential than both of them too.

The fact is that McDermott never showed any indications that he could be a decent top flight player and Ibe did. Both of them wasted the talent they had.

You spend half your time whinging about me apparently making up stuff that you've said and the other half making up things I've said. Saying someone was better than Donal McDermott is hardly a ringing endorsement druss. All-in-all for whatever reason he was crap.

Agreed, the both were. Wasted careers.

From an article in the Athletic re unwanted players don’t want to move clubs.

Harry Arter is another instance.

He continues to be a Nottingham Forest player despite their best attempts to move him on following their promotion to the Premier League 15 months ago. The now 33-year-old midfielder has played just 14 times for Forest since joining from Bournemouth in September 2020, and was sent on loan to Charlton Athletic and Notts County in the season they went up via the Championship play-offs.

Arter described his time at Forest as “disappointing” when he joined non-League Notts on loan, but a promotion clause in his Forest contract saw his salary rise to a reported £40,000 a week with their return to the Premier League, which has made finding him a move away from the City Ground difficult.

He remains under contract until 2024, and despite not having played a senior game for Forest since January 2021 looks set to see that out.

I’m not sure I’d be keen to pass up £2m at the end of my career to play for ten bob a match for Walton and Hersham or similar. When his contract expires he can go play for fun and pocket money. Sorry as I was to see him go - in hindsight he was never the player anywhere near the one he was at his prime when he did. He is a player who cost us pennies and always gave his all and will be a favourite of mine for that alone.

They aren't happy

Of course they aren't happy. Clear he's a total shadow of the former player he was.

He was sub most the time for non league Notts County at the end of 21/22. That tells people all they need to know.

No one is going to pay him 4k a week now, never mind 40k, so he's hardly going to leave unless Forest pay his remaining contract in full, or subsidise his wages for a move.

What the f**k do they expect, they were stupid enough to give a player who is clearly past it and has mentally checked out a ludicrous contract. He isn’t just going to walk away from it because it inconveniences them! They have to honour that agreement, in the same way that they wouldn’t just let one of their stars walk away for free because staying at Forest wouldn’t be convenient for them.

Think Arter will retire once he has bled them dry for every penny he can, judging by his spell at Notts County he’d be doing incredibly well to get a club even at National league level now. I’d imagine it just isn’t worth his time anymore. Probably get a coaching job at Parker’s next vict… err sorry club.

;