Non: Historical Statues

There is a memorial plaque opposite the old Hollies pub in Moordown remembering the crew of a Halifax bomber that crashed there. One Canadian, rest British. Also Pilot Hight Road in West Howe commemorates a NZ pilot who died when his plane was shot down during a dogfight.

better hope NZ keep selling us their lamb, or that street will be demolished by some people using brandon hire stuff.

Wonder how many of these protestors were related or close to those in the grave? How many are just disillusioned idiots acting on impulse, excuse for some trouble to take out their frustrations in life?

World has surely moved on a lot since then, not sure how these actions can bring anything positive. Seem very short sighted to me. Shock, awful things happen in wars, invasions. Particularly pre modern era, at least now there's some kind of code around civilians to curb humans natural aggressive behaviour, at least in western world.

Does anyone here still have an issue with people from Germany after World War 1&2?

When I spent time travelling years ago, I encountered and overhead brits apologizing to others for our colonial past - I'm not really pro or against it, but its the past. Used to make my cringe with embarrassment for them. As if they played a part or were directly responsible for it.

Last edited:
While the majority have benefited from events of the past there will always be some who have not. That will never change, either now or in the future as things stand . Destroying our past is like cutting off an arm because you once smacked your child 25 yrs ago. The child still remains smacked. Try to change the future for the better that's all you can do.

While the majority have benefited from events of the past there will always be some who have not. That will never change, either now or in the future as things stand . Destroying our past is like cutting off an arm because you once smacked your child 25 yrs ago. The child still remains smacked. Try to change the future for the better that's all you can do.

Or it's like abusing someone else's kids and saying 'the past is the past' when someone tries to hold you to account.

But you can shape a better future by learning from the past.
I am not sure anyone would disagree in principle. Surely the essence of this thread though is a) to what extent things in the past can and should be redressed and b) do we all have a fair account of the past to learn from it.

I am sure wingsnwheels would rather someone who robbed from his put in prison despite this doesn't fix the problem, so it's not just about fixing stuff but learning the lesson with action so it doesn't happen again.

On statues and wrongful deeds of the past, I think it helps when we can get to a consensus on what we want to achieve. Sometimes that might need a small group to spark that debate by taking a first step like tearing down a statue, but to do it without an end in mind, as an expression of emotion with out purpose isn't useful and often lacks respect to others but it is something humans have done across time.

It's perhaps our first instinct when we are born, to make a fuss to get what we need. At some stage though we learn it gets us what we want, and we don't entirely grow out of it.

When’s the statue of Eddie Howe coming?
And of course by bringing this up I can laughingly remind us of Southampton’s artistic interpretation of legendary manager Ted Bates. :grinning:

2D4D0FC7-443C-4196-AC26-92BEEE4B5A15.jpeg

I'm on the verge of giving my last post..trying to decide this week.
My last decent link with the area...my mother, she passed on Monday.
I was smacked by her as a 5 year old, for throwing a stone at a little girl. I never did anything like that again.
Maybe its an appropriate time...after seeing some of these posts...she would have been horrified at some content of this thread in particular.
I not sure now whether this is a suitable place for ex - service types..or anyone upholding the bulk of the Nations History...or holding what are regarded as 'dated' viewpoints.

I was smacked by her as a 5 year old, for throwing a stone at a little girl. I never did anything like that again.
Maybe its an appropriate time...after seeing some of these posts...she would have been horrified at some content of this thread in particular.
I not sure now whether this is a suitable place for ex - service types..or anyone upholding the bulk of the Nations History...or holding what are regarded as 'dated' viewpoints.
Sorry to hear of your mothers passing.....sympathy to you and family.
The rest I'm afraid is typical you......hoping people will plead for you to stay

sorry to hear about your mother - sounded like she had a full life. re leaving the site, my advice would be.... take a break, gather your thoughts, decide what the forum is to you and what you like about it.... and try harder to make that happen. there are some good people on here, enjoy their wit & wisdom, and ignore those that you dont find so attractive! all easier said than done

:utc:

;