Non - Labour Party

Will not be coming back on this thread again, labour love in
What does a discussion about the House of Lords have to do with party politics? I suppose a pendant could say the title references Labour, but then why go on it in the first place?

Last edited:
Labour appear to be every bit as facile as the current incumbents

He's right. He is addressing business leaders and admonishing them for their underinvestment in capital (including human capital) in favour of relying on cheap labour. This has happened for a long time in this country and is one of the reasons we have a massive productivity gap compared to other European countries.

I would say he is addressing red wall voters to get their votes, if everyone is happy paying more for their biscuits, then fine, good luck in getting the indigenous population wiping ars* in rest homes on 12hr shifts or picking fruit in fields all day
long. I would also suggest that if closing productivity gaps is our aim, we should have considered remaining in the Worlds biggest trading block with its associated laws for protection of workers rights.

I would say he is addressing red wall voters to get their votes, if everyone is happy paying more for their biscuits, then fine, good luck in getting the indigenous population wiping ars* in rest homes on 12hr shifts or picking fruit in fields all day
long. I would also suggest that if closing productivity gaps is our aim, we should have considered remaining in the Worlds biggest trading block with its associated laws for protection of workers rights.

Have you actually read the article and tried to consider what he's saying? You appear to be simply playing on immigration tropes and slagging off UK workers for good measure rather than addressing the issue of underinvestment and reliance on cheap imported labour.

What would being in the EU do for productivity? It didn't do very well for us when we were members did it?

He makes some good points. we'd all like to live in a high wage economy ( although that means higher inflation) but immigration drives the economy. The problem is that the media is fostering the image of immigrants being hopeless people turning up in dinghies and not genuine workers arriving here legally to pick fruit and veg, be doctors and nurses in the NHS, do essential care work or work long arduous hours in the leisure industry.
Ther are still jobs that people won't do whatever the wage and that includes cleaning old people's bottoms, doing backbreaking work picking iceberg lettuces or working ridiculous hours in a hotel.
I know I wouldn't.

He makes some good points. we'd all like to live in a high wage economy ( although that means higher inflation) but immigration drives the economy. The problem is that the media is fostering the image of immigrants being hopeless people turning up in dinghies and not genuine workers arriving here legally to pick fruit and veg, be doctors and nurses in the NHS, do essential care work or work long arduous hours in the leisure industry.
Ther are still jobs that people won't do whatever the wage and that includes cleaning old people's bottoms, doing backbreaking work picking iceberg lettuces or working ridiculous hours in a hotel.
I know I wouldn't.

Agree with most of that other than the idea that there are jobs people in this country won't do. Brits have done all of these jobs historically so why wouldn't they do them now if the money was right?

Agree with most of that other than the idea that there are jobs people in this country won't do. Brits have done all of these jobs historically so why wouldn't they do them now if the money was right?
You're right of course but there is (wrongly) a stigma attached to certain jobs because traditionally they have been low paid. They are seen as "foreign" jobs or dirty jobs or unworthy jobs. We need a change of attitude towards some of the hardest working people in the country. In America a lot of these people are held in high esteem and quite rightly so.

Labour appear to be every bit as facile as the current incumbents

I agree it's a facile statement but politics since New Labour realised that most people don't care about politics so will only notice if you say something facile, such as "education, education, education" literally thousands of times to seep into the public consciousness.

It's a simplistic goal but even as someone who doesn't particularly like Labour or Starmer is one that makes sense to me.

I've mentioned before we should be looking at adopting untact strategies from Korea to increase productivity, GDP, reduce dependence on cheap labour and facilitate growth despite a natural population decline.

Have you actually read the article and tried to consider what he's saying? You appear to be simply playing on immigration tropes and slagging off UK workers for good measure rather than addressing the issue of underinvestment and reliance on cheap imported labour.

What would being in the EU do for productivity? It didn't do very well for us when we were members did it?
"What would being in the EU do for productivity? It didn't do very well for us when we were members did it? "

So why did you vote remain ? In retrospect do you consider you miss-voted?

"What would being in the EU do for productivity? It didn't do very well for us when we were members did it? "

So why did you vote remain ? In retrospect do you consider you miss-voted?

Because on balance I thought it was the best option and no I don't think I miss-voted. It wasn't to improve productivity though, is that why you voted to remain?

Because on balance I thought it was the best option and no I don't think I miss-voted. It wasn't to improve productivity though, is that why you voted to remain?
I did not vote to remain, I did not vote, but in no way has leaving increased productivity and nor will it.
In what way did you consider it the best option?

I did not vote to remain, I did not vote, but in no way has leaving increased productivity and nor will it.
In what way did you consider it the best option?

If it forces businesses to invest in capital rather than relying on cheap labour it will. It will also force the government to invest in education and training of people in this country - both Labour and Tories have nailed their colours to that mast.

It was the best option for me personally given the industry I work in and the rights I enjoyed. There was lots I didn't like about EU membership though so I was only ever 60/40 in favour.

;