Non - Matt Ritchie

True. I think his days were numbered had the takeover taken place but without the funding doesn’t look like Newcastle will have a big squad so still plenty of game time for him in the prem. maybe being back with family is a big lure too, especially in the age of covid.

He mainly played on the right side with Francis last time around in the Championship, so would expect the same again. Stan and Brooks (if still here) then available for the 10 role.

You are right of course, I think I was viewing him as he has been with Newcastle quite often!

I'm a bit tentative in my expectations as he's not as young as he was, but I'd certainly welcome him back.
Was one of my favorites before he left. Just watched the 5-1 victory over Fulham from 2015. He was fantastic, and the partnership with Franno was really something (I was mostly shocked by how much pace Franno had back then, but that's another thread).

Ritchie is apparently on £45k a week. Not much less than the reported £50k Callum will be on and can’t afford.

If it’s a swap deal and Newcastle subsidise £20k of his wages for a 3 year deal that’s the equivalent of £3m.

Given Coventry have a sell on for anything above £3m, there’s an opportunity to be a bit creative with our accounting. If Ritchie is valued at £5m, then we’d be better off taking £12m in cash from Newcastle than say £20m from Villa.

One potential positive could be that Villa don't want Fraser.
If Callum would like to work with Wee Man again, then Newcastle seems like a win-win-win (though I know many of us don't want Fraser to win anymore).

If we can get his wages at a reasonable level then what's not to like?

PL quality? Check. In fact Newcastle just awarded him a new three year contract so they must have faith he can carry on doing it for some time to come.

Proven? Check. Two times promoted from the Championship and knows what it takes to win there.

Versatility? Check. Would provide an option on either wing and also left wing back. Precisely positions in which we need to recruit.

Experience? Check. Bags of it so can help the younger players along without being too long in the tooth.

Creativity? Check. Hits a mean cross and should be reliable for a few gaaaamooooshhh goals in the Championship.

Charlie Big Potatoes? Negative. A bit like Ake in that you know he will always give his all and won't try to lord it over lesser players. A true professional. Should be a positive dressing room influence.

It's only the wages that have me thinking they could be the stumbling block.

If we can get his wages at a reasonable level then what's not to like?

PL quality? Check. In fact Newcastle just awarded him a new three year contract so they must have faith he can carry on doing it for some time to come.

Proven? Check. Two times promoted from the Championship and knows what it takes to win there.

Versatility? Check. Would provide an option on either wing and also left wing back. Precisely positions in which we need to recruit.

Experience? Check. Bags of it so can help the younger players along without being too long in the tooth.

Creativity? Check. Hits a mean cross and should be reliable for a few gaaaamooooshhh goals in the Championship.

Charlie Big Potatoes? Negative. A bit like Ake in that you know he will always give his all and won't try to lord it over lesser players. A true professional. Should be a positive dressing room influence.

It's only the wages that have me thinking they could be the stumbling block.
Bang on. We just need to be sure that he’s happy and motivated to come here and is not being forced into it. If the stars align I think this is a great deal for all concerned :thumbup:

;