Non - Pandemic

Herd immunity isn't going to happen, just as it doesn't happen with the common cold or flu. This thing is too transmissible. What I was talking about was personal, individual immunity.

Well the phrase “whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” must have come from somewhere.

Funny how you can say people are being pussies about the heat and then follow it up with nonsence like this.

We are able to find ways, reasonably easily to combat the heat...as they do in places like Australia...not without effort and common sense of course.
But a Pandemic is very different if some people maintain a blase attitude ...putting their leisure as a priority before a common United front against the threat !

Pandemic or climate crisis isn’t an either or situation.

Climate change is set to see excess deaths rise by 250,000 over the next couple of decades.

The Chinese aren't finished with covid themselves, they've tied themselves in knots with their zero covid policy which is pissing people off with its insane brutality and ineffectiveness in equal measure.

I'm hoping for a negative test on day 12 of covid, one thing that surprised me is that the purchased tests don't enable you to report a positive test so the positives from testing are even lower as people transition from free tests. Currently, 1 in 5 taking a (reported) test is positive.

The Chinese started Covid.

Not if Covid in one it's forms takes hold again ...then...then you obey the rules as promulgated..it can't be any more simpler than that !

5m people contracted it in 2 weeks. If that's not taking hold, what is your definition of taking hold?

I don't see it as dangerous to the mass population anymore so unless we get people going back onto ventilators I'd leave everything completely open as it currently is. That's why I made a comment about you saying banning large groups. Of those 5m people only around 200 needed ICU care btw. Simply not enough to impose any sort of restrictions.

No, its about people living their lives and not being locked up by ridiculous rules for a virus that is no more deadly now than flu .

It's about making necessary and proportionate steps to manage a disease that currently hits as hard as flu, multiple times more infectious and faster mutating.

Wearing masks on public transport during spikes, keeping people informed of risk levels, promoting vaccine uptake, providing free testing, and improving ventilation hardly seem comparable to locking people up and preventing them from living.

Sky

Nicky Morgan appointed chair of COVID commission

A significant step has been taken in deciding how the UK will remember those who lost their lives during the pandemic and recognise those who were involved in the unprecedented response to COVID.

The government has set out the membership and terms of reference for the UK Commission on COVID Commemoration following an announcement by the prime minister.

It will work with the devolved administrations and engage with the general public, particularly those who lost their loved ones in the pandemic.

The commission, which will seek the views of communities and organisations across the UK, will be headed by RT Hon Baroness Nicky Morgan, the former education secretary.

Full list of people on the commission:
  • Nicky Morgan
  • Sir Nicholas Coleridge CBE
  • Dr Nadine Cossette
  • Rt Hon Caroline Flint
  • Denise Hayward
  • Felicia Kwaku OBE
  • General Sir Gordon Messenger KCB, DSO & Bar, OBE, DL

It's about making necessary and proportionate steps to manage a disease that currently hits as hard as flu, multiple times more infectious and faster mutating.

Wearing masks on public transport during spikes, keeping people informed of risk levels, promoting vaccine uptake, providing free testing, and improving ventilation hardly seem comparable to locking people up and preventing them from living.
It doesn't generally hit as hard as flu.

In May, approximately 8% of the population had covid at some point in the month, according to the flu surveys. That's over 5 million people.

In June, allowing for a 4 week delay for the effects to take hold, 812 people died with covid as the primary cause on their death certificate. (If you lower the time lag to 2 weeks, it's 1,036.) So that's about 1 in 5,000 people who get covid, die from it.

Flu, typically, we are told kills 7,000 people per year in a good year and 20,000 in a bad year. If flu killed 1 in 5,000 who get it, that would mean 35m people get it in a good year and 100m in a bad year. Obviously this doesn't happen.

Conclusion? There is a lot of covid about, but it's less lethal than flu.

In May, approximately 8% of the population had covid at some point in the month, according to the flu surveys. That's over 5 million people.

In June, allowing for a 4 week delay for the effects to take hold, 812 people died with covid as the primary cause on their death certificate. (If you lower the time lag to 2 weeks, it's 1,036.) So that's about 1 in 5,000 people who get covid, die from it.

Flu, typically, we are told kills 7,000 people per year in a good year and 20,000 in a bad year. If flu killed 1 in 5,000 who get it, that would mean 35m people get it in a good year and 100m in a bad year. Obviously this doesn't happen.

Its a weird obsession that started in March 2020 and refuses to go away.

I’ve got healthy 30 something friends who are triple vaccinated and have said covid is the worst illness they’ve had when they’ve had it recently, far worse than any kind of flu.

What is the purpose of comparing it with flu? Why not RSV or other respiratory illnesses?

A quick look around the world (Australia or USA) for example, will show the difference between current covid and flu in terms of deaths.

Its a weird obsession that started in March 2020 and refuses to go away.

I’ve got healthy 30 something friends who are triple vaccinated and have said covid is the worst illness they’ve had when they’ve had it recently, far worse than any kind of flu.

What is the purpose of comparing it with flu? Why not RSV or other respiratory illnesses?

A quick look around the world (Australia or USA) for example, will show the difference between current covid and flu in terms of deaths.
OK, I'll compare it with other respiratory illnesses. During the 5 weeks of June, 5,741 people died with primary cause being a disease of the respiratory system (excluding covid); a further 812 died primarily because of covid.

I don't know much about RSV except that it chiefly affects children and kills far more of them than covid did. More or less harmless in adults, I believe.

A quick look at Australia suggests they may be suffering from lack of immunity (herd or individual) that we have built up over two years and they haven't. USA obviously suffers from lack of vaccination. Perhaps you could specify your point rather than being cryptic.

Anyway, the purpose of comparing a new respiratory disease with an established respiratory disease that we know lots about? Isn't it pretty obvious - we can learn about one by comparing it with the other? We won't benefit by comparing covid with Achilles tendon injuries or alopecia.

OK, I'll compare it with other respiratory illnesses. During the 5 weeks of June, 5,741 people died with primary cause being a disease of the respiratory system (excluding covid); a further 812 died primarily because of covid.

I don't know much about RSV except that it chiefly affects children and kills far more of them than covid did. More or less harmless in adults, I believe.

A quick look at Australia suggests they may be suffering from lack of immunity (herd or individual) that we have built up over two years and they haven't. USA obviously suffers from lack of vaccination. Perhaps you could specify your point rather than being cryptic.

Anyway, the purpose of comparing a new respiratory disease with an established respiratory disease that we know lots about? Isn't it pretty obvious - we can learn about one by comparing it with the other? We won't benefit by comparing covid with Achilles tendon injuries or alopecia.
Individual herd immunity??

To turn one of your favourite questions back on you. Die with flu or because of flu?

;