Non - Pandemic

I guess that’s why they’ve been able to stay relevant for so long. In amongst all the over hyping and general ridiculousness there is often a snippet worth listening to.

Improved air filtration of course is probably the best one.
Is the installation of high power electrical devices in schools to combat a disease that is essentially harmless to children, the best use of power at this time of global warming and fuel shortage?

I don't like a lot of their output and despise the concept of politicising science even when it suits me but most of their 7-point plan makes a lot of sense to me.
What I don't see is where they have produced evidence that suppressing covid is a good thing. Have they got scientific evidence that it's better to get covid, say, once in 5 years rather than every year or twice a year? Have they got evidence that catching it repeatedly has no beneficial effect on personal immunity? Have they got evidence that suppressing a relatively harmless variant wouldn't encourage the formation of a more lethal variant?

What I don't see is where they have produced evidence that suppressing covid is a good thing. Have they got scientific evidence that it's better to get covid, say, once in 5 years rather than every year or twice a year? Have they got evidence that catching it repeatedly has no beneficial effect on personal immunity? Have they got evidence that suppressing a relatively harmless variant wouldn't encourage the formation of a more lethal variant?

I see the heard immunity idea has now evolved from catching it once to catching it twice a year…

I see the heard immunity idea has now evolved from catching it once to catching it twice a year…

Do you know anyone that has had Omicron twice yet out of interest? I don't. I had it a week ago (typical get to UK get Covid lol), parents had it just over 6 months ago, they didn't get it from me despite no real distancing in the same house. The newspapers tell us 3 months possible reinfection but I don't know anybody that's experienced even double that duration for reinfection.

Do you know anyone that has had Omicron twice yet out of interest? I don't. I had it a week ago (typical get to UK get Covid lol), parents had it just over 6 months ago, they didn't get it from me despite no real distancing in the same house. The newspapers tell us 3 months possible reinfection but I don't know anybody that's experienced even double that duration for reinfection.
Researchers from the Statens Serum Institut in Denmark analyzed recent COVID-19 infections, many of which involved the highly transmissible BA.2 subvariant that’s currently passing through there.
Of roughly 2 million infections reported in Denmark from November to February, researchers focused on patients who tested positive twice from 20 to 60 days apart, and experienced infections previously labeled a subvariant by genomic surveillance.
Researchers found only 187 cases of reinfection, with just 47 instances of BA.2 reinfection occurring shortly after BA.1 infection. Most of these cases were in young, unvaccinated people with mild symptoms.
“Unless there is a clearly documented medical contraindication, everyone should get vaccinated,” Jens Rueter, MD, chief medical officer at the Jackson Laboratory, told Healthline said.
He pointed out that if you already had an infection, your immunity against current and new variants will be greatly enhanced by vaccination.
“It is very likely that vaccinations will remain very effective against severe disease,” said Rueter.
He said this means that vaccinated individuals without immunocompromising health conditions, who protect others by following physical distancing and masking rules, should be able to live relatively undisrupted lives even while these new variants arise.

Researchers from the Statens Serum Institut in Denmark analyzed recent COVID-19 infections, many of which involved the highly transmissible BA.2 subvariant that’s currently passing through there.
Of roughly 2 million infections reported in Denmark from November to February, researchers focused on patients who tested positive twice from 20 to 60 days apart, and experienced infections previously labeled a subvariant by genomic surveillance.
Researchers found only 187 cases of reinfection, with just 47 instances of BA.2 reinfection occurring shortly after BA.1 infection. Most of these cases were in young, unvaccinated people with mild symptoms.
“Unless there is a clearly documented medical contraindication, everyone should get vaccinated,” Jens Rueter, MD, chief medical officer at the Jackson Laboratory, told Healthline said.
He pointed out that if you already had an infection, your immunity against current and new variants will be greatly enhanced by vaccination.
“It is very likely that vaccinations will remain very effective against severe disease,” said Rueter.
He said this means that vaccinated individuals without immunocompromising health conditions, who protect others by following physical distancing and masking rules, should be able to live relatively undisrupted lives even while these new variants arise.

So a 0.0000935% chance of reinfection based on those numbers. That's only 2 months though, presumably studies ongoing at the moment comparing BA1/2 to BA4/5.

Reactions: DJ
So a 0.0000935% chance of reinfection based on those numbers. That's only 2 months though, presumably studies ongoing at the moment comparing BA1/2 to BA4/5.

I think that’s the case, hence why cases are dropping now. Most infections have been amongst those who haven’t had it before.

There are of course exceptions to the rule and they are often amongst the most vulnerable.

The newspapers tell us 3 months possible reinfection but I don't know anybody that's experienced even double that duration for reinfection.

Omicron has only been around 6/7 months so we enter that uncharted water phase. New variants always seem to come along every few months as well to change the picture again.

Thankfully, thus far, each variant has been more dominant in infections, but less dominant in hospital admissions (per ratio).

Unfortunately can see an October rebound, perhaps with a new variant gaining traction again.

We need to ban large groups of people gathering in public...that includes the PL....for another year at least.
Having a flippant or denial attitude to these viruses is plain stupidity.....

We need to ban large groups of people gathering in public...that includes the PL....for another year at least.
Having a flippant or denial attitude to these viruses is plain stupidity.....

Funny how you can say people are being pussies about the heat and then follow it up with nonsence like this.

Even the most ardent of zero covid people outside of China and North Korea have moved on from banning large groups.

We’ve got kids having their final days of year 2 this week hopeful that next year will be their first non effected covid year of school…after 3 years.

There are other mitigation’s out there.

Herd immunity isn't going to happen, just as it doesn't happen with the common cold or flu. This thing is too transmissible. What I was talking about was personal, individual immunity.

;