Non - Pandemic

It's a difficult one because the medical experts alongside Boris have also been saying it is still important to get exercise and a bit of fresh air. The woman alongside him yesterday said as much on Saturdays briefing. I see National Parks are closing off all the New Forest car parks which is think is a bad idea, there are so many small car parks that people can be well spread out, instead now they will end up in other more confined areas for their walks.

We all know that extra, excessive Printing of Money leads to Hyper Inflation.....but in the case of a Medical Emergency surely some system can be devised to offset that eventuality. ..and get on and do it for sake of protecting lives! The NHS is after all Nationalised.

It's a difficult one because the medical experts alongside Boris have also been saying it is still important to get exercise and a bit of fresh air. The woman alongside him yesterday said as much on Saturdays briefing. I see National Parks are closing off all the New Forest car parks which is think is a bad idea, there are so many small car parks that people can be well spread out, instead now they will end up in other more confined areas for their walks.

It's not easy and I have sympathy for the government because the potential health implications of not going outside or exercising for weeks are not good either. These areas were always likely busy on a day like yesterday. I don't know what the answer is but I'm not sure these people are evil incarnate as they've been painted when they were actually not breaking any government instructions in theory.

I should add that I'm self-isolating and haven't been out in days.

Boris Johnson almost encouraged people to go out for a walk yesterday. These places are always going to be crowded if that's the only thing people are told they are allowed to do. These problems come from garbled messaging from the top.
I saw a lot of pictures yesterday of bikers. I think many took the chance to get out thinking the roads would be quiet. Apparently the National Trust had to close many attractions due to numbers, and Mount Snowden had one of its busiest days in years.
I agree though with the problem of a garbled message. I suppose he can always say he didn't shut things down, he just advised people shouldn't go out.
Why don't they use the targeted Facebook adds they use during the elections. They obviously know peoples ages, and they employ people who worked for these companies. Tailor some specific adds and get it out on their facebook pages.

Reactions: drd
It's not easy and I have sympathy for the government because the potential health implications of not going outside or exercising for weeks are not good either. These areas were always likely busy on a day like yesterday. I don't know what the answer is but I'm not sure these people are evil incarnate as they've been painted when they were actually not breaking any government instructions in theory.

We’ve been self isolating since Friday and we did extreme social distancing since the weekend before, only going out to take the boy to pre school to keep normality going for as long as possible for him.

Now anxious we shouldn’t have done that. Just followed the guidance. On Friday it was fine for hundreds of kids to be crammed into classrooms and playgrounds up and down the country, come Saturday you have to keep 2 metres away from everyone and stay at home, can’t go to a park playground. It’s a rather extreme swing from one afternoon to the following morning.

So you’ll either have those not grasping the seriousness or people like me now anxious and worried that we shouldn’t have been sending him to pre school last week.

It’s all rather horrible and that’s before isolation and lack of essentials kick in.

Boris Johnson almost encouraged people to go out for a walk yesterday. These places are always going to be crowded if that's the only thing people are told they are allowed to do. These problems come from garbled messaging from the top.

Mentions opening window to get fresh air, what if you have a garden, surely you can go out there if away from other people?

This is in the article about difference between self isolating and social distancing.

Echo

Anyone classified as ‘vulnerable’ also has to self-isolate. This includes people over 70, as well as people with underlying conditions that could make the symptoms of coronavirus worse.

Unfortunately for these people, self-isolation means not leaving your house - making going walks outside or meeting friends an impossibility. But the government does say people who are self-isolating can keep windows open to get fresh air.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/n...-difference-self-isolating-social-distancing/

Went out for a drive this morning, lots of smaller shops appear to have closed. Daughter is unwell so keeping away, but don't think she has Covid. Very difficult for people who need shopping urgently when home delivery is not for at least a week. Tried to register as vulnerable (both wife and me very much so) on Sainsburys site but it's down.
Fortunately we have enough for a few days, not over stocked.
Hope those most in need can get what they need. Shame about the idiots who went OTT and stripped the shelves. BTW I didn't get out of the car until I got home!

I think people need to demand tougher conditions for them to work rather than lock down immediately - Majority of people now understand. China managed it by extreme measures such as boarding up apartments so trapping people, unlawful arrest and very high police/official party pressure. Don’t think those tactics would work in England.

The other point, which is a tough one, is imho if you want to shut out the virus you may need lockdown restrictions for 24 months - which isn’t possible as collateral damage is too severe - and there will be a spike when you go back to normal. Thus the idea of flattening the curve makes sense but does mean vulnerable people will die pre vaccine. Whichever option still means a lot of deaths. Awful dilemma.

NB - the cluster of cases at my wife’s workplace has now stopped with people working from home and my wife is doing a half day work from home. Took 10 days to get a bit of energy back. All colleagues ok - oldest was c 62 years old and had more severe conditions (tested positive for covid-19) but doing ok too. I haven’t had the virus though unless I was asymptomatic

It really pisses me off seeing all those pictures and films of people at the beach, in markets, queuing to get to Snowdonia etc. Don't they listen ?
I am not one to panic usually but today my 88 year old Dad is due to start 4 weeks of radiotherapy at Poole for cancerous growths on the larynx. He is in the high risk category already and may be getting a letter telling him to stay indoors - he can't get out without help anyway. So I am sat here waiting to see if he gets a call from Poole cancelling or whether we have to trek to the hospital for the next 4 weeks. Half of me wants the whole lot cancelled, the other half wants him to be treated as the consultant is confident of a good outcome. My Dad has just had enough and says he really doesn't care anymore. The last place he needs to be now is in a hospital waiting room. Nobodys fault just crap timing - the lottery of life.
Stay safe everyone and heed the warnings.

I am in a similar situation as your Dad, though over 10 years younger. I have an appointment for a blood test on Friday at my local hospital. Then next week I am receiving treatment at the same hospital as your Dad to improve my immune system to stop cancer coming back which was removed last year.

This from the Poole Hospital website dated today if of any help.

Postponement of planned operations and procedures

Hospitals including Poole Hospital are expected to face increased urgent and significant demand in the coming weeks and months as coronavirus spreads.

To ensure that we have as many beds available as possible, and in line with our own well-rehearsed plans as well as national guidance, we are postponing many planned procedures and operations to meet this need.

Urgent and emergency appointment and procedures, as well as most cancer treatments, will continue as normal.

We appreciate that delaying any treatment or procedure is disappointing and can be an anxious time, and ask for your support and understanding as we continue to prepare for these exceptional circumstances.

We will be contacting every patient affected. If you have not heard from us, please attend the hospital according to the instructions in your hospital letter.

If you are unable to make your appointment, it is very important that you let us know using the details in your letter to let us know as soon as possible. This helps us to free up resources for patients that may require more urgent care.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mentions opening window to get fresh air, what if you have a garden, surely you can go out there if away from other people?

This is in the article about difference between self isolating and social distancing.

Echo

Anyone classified as ‘vulnerable’ also has to self-isolate. This includes people over 70, as well as people with underlying conditions that could make the symptoms of coronavirus worse.

Unfortunately for these people, self-isolation means not leaving your house - making going walks outside or meeting friends an impossibility. But the government does say people who are self-isolating can keep windows open to get fresh air.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/n...-difference-self-isolating-social-distancing/

Found this article today.

Couple of paras from it.

On top of this, part of the mental battle of isolation is remaining as active as possible - even if this means standing up ten times in one hour and walking between rooms in the house.

If the elderly person you are helping has a garden, encourage them to walk around it - and make sure they are not immobile for long periods of time, watching television for long periods or remaining bed bound.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11191245/who-self-isolate-coronavirus-12-weeks-pandemic/

I am a nurse at Poole and despite wearing full PPE, I consider the risk of catching it to be high - I feel it is inevitable really. My husband is in the vulnerable group. I am terrified I am going to bring it home to him. Currently weighing up my options - Do I move out for 3 months? Can't really afford it but might have to. Or does he move in with his parents for that time. This assumes that I haven't already brought it home otherwise that plan could just spread it to them as well.

I am a nurse at Poole and despite wearing full PPE, I consider the risk of catching it to be high - I feel it is inevitable really. My husband is in the vulnerable group. I am terrified I am going to bring it home to him. Currently weighing up my options - Do I move out for 3 months? Can't really afford it but might have to. Or does he move in with his parents for that time. This assumes that I haven't already brought it home otherwise that plan could just spread it to them as well.

Good luck and thank you to people like you who are so dedicated in helping others through this terrible time. Real dilemma for you. My fear is that this all happens again come the autumn after some possible respite in the summer.

Unimaginable dilemma

Just hope with the lockdown I can still get out for a run. Living in a small town it's easy to get out on the country lanes and not see anyone and out anyone at risk.

Went out for a run yesterday then to Tesco for the NHS hour - not doing that again..far too busy. Then stayed at home the rest of the day..it isn't that hard really. Any cricket fans who have Amazon Prime - get on 'The test'. About the Aussies. Superb.

But people can still exercise ffs.

Wellsword you ran away at Aldershot, 2008. Pipe down you guardian reading spotty fairy.

;