Non - Pandemic

Governments doing their best to ensure that their chums profit further from the Pandemic:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57243205

The article states: "... the UK government advises that only private providers can be used for PCR tests for travel." This amounts to a £200+ tax on travel.

Not only that, the rules and regulations are a nightmare to fathom out. One needs a master's degree in clicking on a myriad of links to determine exactly what they are.

From Parliament this morning.

BBC

Hancock: One in 10 in hospital with Covid have had both jabs

Conservative MP Mark Harper asks Matt Hancock about the Indian variant.

He says the evidence suggests the vaccines are very effective in stopping serious disease, including in cases of the Indian variant. He asks: If that remains the case, does Hancock agree there will be no reason not to open up on 21 June?

"That is literally the most important question to which we do not yet have a full answer," says Hancock.

"The data that we have is that in the hotspot areas around one in 10 of those in hospital are people who have had both jabs.

"The fact that 90% are people who have not yet been double vaccinated gives us a high degree of confidence that the vaccine is highly effective but it also shows - the fact there's 10% who have been double vaccinated - that it isn't 100% effective."

Biden has ordered the US intelligence agencies to "redouble" their efforts to find the true origin on the virus after recent reports.

For a year or more Facebook has labeled any posts that suggest Covid was man made as misinformation, or removed them, because it was spread around those 'covid hoax' type groups, so deemed crackpot. Not so much now...Facebook have rescinded this policy in the wake of Biden's update. Funny how these things go...

Worth underlining that it's still lacking sufficient evidence as a theory, but is on the table nevertheless.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/26/facebook-ban-covid-man-made-491053
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/05/26/facebook-lifts-ban-on-calling-coronavirus-man-made/

Last edited:
Not by appointing Mao, Stalin, Putin, Pinochet, or Mugabe, anyway.

I can see your problem with democracy. It elects leaders who you personally disagree with, and the reason it elects them is that not enough people agree with you that these are the wrong leaders. And for that, the solution is simple. All you have to do is persuade enough people that the leaders you want are the ones they want as well, and Bob's your uncle. Democracy works.
Which pm has departed office with the country in a better state than when elected?

Which pm has departed office with the country in a better state than when elected?
Depends how you measure the state of the country, really. Pick some dates from the past and tell me when the country was in a better state than it is now.

I reckon the country has made pretty solid progress since the first PM (Walpole) in 1721. Few PMs have made things noticeably worse, even if they didn't do much good. Callaghan, I suppose, was one under whose governance things got worse. Winter of discontent, anyone?

Margaret Thatcher

No she failed to deliver her personal pledge to the nation

Margaret Thatcher quote: Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope.

Depends how you measure the state of the country, really. Pick some dates from the past and tell me when the country was in a better state than it is now.

I reckon the country has made pretty solid progress since the first PM (Walpole) in 1721. Few PMs have made things noticeably worse, even if they didn't do much good. Callaghan, I suppose, was one under whose governance things got worse. Winter of discontent, anyone?

In January and February 2019, researchers at the University of Derby commissioned BMG Research to run a survey to answer these questions, asking 5,781 people living in Britain how much they agreed with the following statements:

• Margaret Thatcher made Britain Great again – 26% of respondents agreed, 37% disagreed
  • Margaret Thatcher was right to sell council houses to tenants – 37% agreed, 31% disagreed
  • Today’s housing crisis was a result of selling off so many council homes in the 1980s – against the more positive assessment of the right to buy legislation demonstrated above, 48% of respondents agreed while 22% disagreed
  • Social and economic changes since the 1980s have ensured a brighter future for all – 22% agreed, 34% disagreed
  • Margaret Thatcher’s governments decreased the quality of life for many ordinary people – 45% agreed, 22% disagreed
  • Margaret Thatcher’s governments did a lot of damage to communities around here – 42% agreed, 24% disagreed
  • Margaret Thatcher only looked after the interests of the rich – 44% agreed, 21% disagreed

No she failed to deliver her personal pledge to the nation

Margaret Thatcher quote: Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope.
Your question was, Which pm has departed office with the country in a better state than when elected?

I don't vote for a person but for a party that to me seems to offer the best chance for my country. It doesn't matter who the leader is or if I like them or not. Following @billythekid above I doubt Boris expected such a nightmare.
Ah the favourite excuse that the job is too difficult for him.

Boris spent his career chasing the job. The fact he didnt know what it involved demonstrates his lack of judgement.

Remember unions getting a bad name, but in reality it was just the few that wielded the power that gave other unions and the members a bad name.

The ones with the power were the ones who had more strikes and probably got bigger pay rises.

;