Non - Petrol and Diesel new sales banned from 2030

If only it was possible to create a standard size and connection for a battery, you could just swap it instead of having to plug in.

Sadly, companies are not interested in anything that doesn't increase their profits.

They really do. Also, why do you need to charge every single car in a street. Our car has been charged twice since March. Unusual times, obviously, but cars that drive 200miles on a charge do not need to plug in every day or every week.
You have to have a lot of spare capacity. If the average car needs charging once a week, it doesn't mean that a street with 70 houses needs only 10 charging points.

Also when the driving range is limited and charging is slow and inconvenient, people don't follow a just-in-time policy as a rule. If your range is limited to 200 miles, then most people will want it charging to full capacity when it's dropped to 150. Coronavirus crises excepted, of course.

Have you seen Buckingham palace, plenty of room to park cars.

Are you talking about London or the population as I am sure you said population.
Any inner city conurbation cannot provide the charging points required for its inhabitants.
In suburbs and rural areas it'll be achievable, where they are fortunate enough to have their own driveway and/or garage.

Aside from the negligible benefit that EV would give us (see link), from a pragmatic point of view the cost of the rollout is the last thing the country can afford right now.

https://ecowarriorprincess.net/2018/09/electric-cars-how-much-they-really-cost-the-environment-3/

I'd rather the country Invested in better and more viable public transport and an improved cycling infrastructure than trying to provide 37 million plugs. As for Lithium extraction, I feel guilty at buying a couple of AA batteries let alone something with 12kg in it. The long term future will surely be Hydrogen, Toyota are making serious inroads into that and they don't usually get it wrong.

I had heard 50%, found a study and it turns out that the average Nissan Leaf after 55k miles which is my average mileage is down to 65% capacity. This was based on 564 cars.

Show me a study that isn't a Tesla after 50k miles over as many cars as possible. I hope you're right, but I haven't seen anything that says you are.

https://tflcar.com/2020/06/ev-battery-degradation-news/

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_1003a_battery_aging_in_an_electric_vehicle_ev

https://insideevs.com/news/368591/electric-car-battery-lifespan/

You have to have a lot of spare capacity. If the average car needs charging once a week, it doesn't mean that a street with 70 houses needs only 10 charging points.

Unless you just want to look for problems surely in that scenario you would purchase a self charging hybrid and save yourself from moaning for no reason?

I'd rather the country Invested in better and more viable public transport and an improved cycling infrastructure than trying to provide 37 million plugs. As for Lithium extraction, I feel guilty at buying a couple of AA batteries let alone something with 12kg in it. The long term future will surely be Hydrogen, Toyota are making serious inroads into that and they don't usually get it wrong.

Hydrogen will work for some vehicles but plug EVs are already the standard for family cars, that will not change any time soon.

Unless you just want to look for problems surely in that scenario you would purchase a self charging hybrid and save yourself from moaning for no reason?

Im guessing you keep saying self charging hybrid to try to get the bite :)

I need a fishing smilie... ;)

37 million plugs :D

I was being ironic ;)

Those arguing over charging facilities do have a valid point however.

They do, there needs to be more, but not as many as some people think. I have a 7kw charger port on my house. I have used it twice in 8 months. Obviously these are strange times but shopping at tescos once a week tops it up for free in the time im in there. EVs are the opposite of ICE cars, they love town driving. If on a long motorway trip over over 200 miles then it take 20 mins to all but top up on a fast charger at the services. Thats a pee and queue to get a Starbucks (dont get those mixed up).

Every single owner I know has agreed that you need to charge far less than we ever thought we would. Of course capacity for fast chargers need to increase in the right locations. But you can charge anywhere that has a 3 pin plug as well. Its really not an issue now...it might be if every car was electric overnight but we are talking decades here as its only new cars in 10 years time.

Not much of an answer this. There are clearly problems with on street charging. If it's not such a big deal you should be able to say what the solutions are. I'm not seeing that here tbh.

Not much of an answer this. There are clearly problems with on street charging. If it's not such a big deal you should be able to say what the solutions are. I'm not seeing that here tbh.

Well the answer is to just ditch the car from society but I believe wellsworld has the monopoly on that so will leave it to him.

But there of course will be some more infrastructure and developing of technology over the next decade to make it all look more plausible.

Well the answer is to just ditch the car from society but I believe wellsworld has the monopoly on that so will leave it to him.

But there of course will be some more infrastructure and developing of technology over the next decade to make it all look more plausible.

Well let's hope that technological advances come up trumps in time. Doesn't sound like much of a plan though. You only have to look at all of our streets to see how many streets will need charging points. My street has had full blown rows about people parking in front of other people's houses. Throw in a limited number of charging points (10% of the number of cars on the street should do it according to Druss) and you've got some great neighbourly fun coming down the road.

It's nice that they changed all of the street lamps a few years back so you can't see where you are walking too. Running the dogshit gauntlet is entertaining enough but it will be even more fun once we've got cables strewn across streets and pavements.

For those who wonder how street parking can work, there are many ways...

Lampost plugins...

Ubitricity-1-800x534.jpg

Purpise built chargers..

72468-l.jpg

Or even simple trunk routes in terraced house areas. Very simply and cheap to add.

2f1538f9-ac56-4b4d-a1b7-6388d9476141.jpg

And variations on all the above.

They do, there needs to be more, but not as many as some people think. I have a 7kw charger port on my house. I have used it twice in 8 months. Obviously these are strange times but shopping at tescos once a week tops it up for free in the time im in there. EVs are the opposite of ICE cars, they love town driving. If on a long motorway trip over over 200 miles then it take 20 mins to all but top up on a fast charger at the services. Thats a pee and queue to get a Starbucks (dont get those mixed up).

Every single owner I know has agreed that you need to charge far less than we ever thought we would. Of course capacity for fast chargers need to increase in the right locations. But you can charge anywhere that has a 3 pin plug as well. Its really not an issue now...it might be if every car was electric overnight but we are talking decades here as its only new cars in 10 years time.

I've read 6 pages of this Druss and have come to one conclusion.

You are Elon Musk and I claim my five AAA batteries.

Cannabis farms get their electricity for free thanks to creative wiring. I understand that many will let you top up your electric car for free if you drop in for a spliff.

Lampost plugins...

Ubitricity-1-800x534.jpg

Purpise built chargers..

72468-l.jpg

Or even simple trunk routes in terraced house areas. Very simply and cheap to add.

Very simple and cheap? Not sure about that.

How do you ensure you get the parking spot you need at the time you need it?

Lampost plugins...

Ubitricity-1-800x534.jpg

Purpise built chargers..

72468-l.jpg

Can we make sure we don’t use Fibre City to do the installations of the cables...

;