Non - Petrol and Diesel new sales banned from 2030

The only problem is that Boris's 10 point plan for all of this green stuff costs £12 billion...yet we have the Government dropping hints on how they'll recoup the Covid debt. I'd wager the majority are worrying about how we pay for our current situation.

to be honest I think that if we got a decent version of all those 10 points then 12 billion would be a bit of bargain. I know that’s a daft thing to say about that kinda wedge but in the scheme of things it’s nothing.

If I think about my use of a car - I live in London and park in a different spot on the road each day. There aren’t lampposts along the whole street so installation of a charging point would, I assume, need the road to be dug up. First of, is that the plan? And if so, are we expected to have charging points across every street in London by 2030? Seems to me current progress is nowhere near what is required to achieve that.

Haven’t read the whole thread so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

to be honest I think that if we got a decent version of all those 10 points then 12 billion would be a bit of bargain. I know that’s a daft thing to say about that kinda wedge but in the scheme of things it’s nothing.

Agree but with the current picture and all of the uncertainty, this 12 billion will have to come from somewhere. I hate to say it but I just can't see it happening within the timescale....the only thing I guess is for Boris & Co to blow the reserve / reserve pot and leave a note for the next Government saying there's no money left ;)...as we all stare at windmills in the sea.

The only problem is that Boris's 10 point plan for all of this green stuff costs £12 billion...yet we have the Government dropping hints on how they'll recoup the Covid debt. I'd wager the majority are worrying about how we pay for our current situation.

With today's big spending announcement on defence procurement as well I can see the possibility of battery powered tanks with additional solar panels to improve the one kilometre battery life.

It would go someway towards pacifying the greens though..........................

With today's big spending announcement on defence procurement as well I can see the possibility of battery powered tanks with additional solar panels to improve the one kilometre battery life.

It would go someway towards pacifying the greens though..........................

the military spending boost is to deal with the inevitable breakdown in society in the coming decade(s)

partytime!

:party:

Here's the views of a prominent climate scientist, both on the 10-point plan in general and separately on EVs.

In sum, the renewable energy commitment equates to only 7% of the UK's current demand; the budget allocated to retrofitting is "pennies" compared to the scale of the job; and the (too little) focus on electric vehicles distracts from the wider changes to public transport and way we move around that are desparately needed.

Furthermore, "The metal resource needed to make all cars and vans electric by 2050 and all sales to be purely battery electric by 2035...will require just under two times the total annual world cobalt production, nearly the entire world production of neodymium, three quarters the world’s lithium production and at least half of the world’s copper production during 2018."

Source: https://www.nhm.ac.uk/press-office/...ut-resource-challenge-of-meeting-net-zer.html

In other words. An environmental catastrophe. And this is before sourcing the dramatically higher amounts of the same materials needed to build the wind and solar farms to power the EVs (I can't remember the figures, but I did some work on this a while back and just converting current global energy demand to renewables will need a 100-1000% increase in mineral production, depending on the mineral). In short, EVs are definitely part of the solution, but more importantly we need way less cars. Fast.

I'm not entirely sure some in the BBC fully understand the possible ramifications of global climate change! Or is the Beeb staffed by 7 year olds now? #humans #nohope

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-d6338d9f-8789-4bc2-b6d7-3691c0e7d138

What will climate change look like near me?
How high might temperatures climb where you live - and is it likely to rain more? The BBC and the Met Office have looked at the UK's changing climate in detail to find out.

;