Non - RIP Kobe

Must admit to not having heard of or knowing anything about the chap, but how sad to hear of any father and daughter killed in such circumstance, how tragic for the remaining family.
As said, it shouldn't be forgotten that others were on board also.
Hope they can identify the cause

Used to be into playing basketball during school, so followed it a bit. Bryant was a little after that but as far as I could tell the legends of the modern era at least are Jordan, Johnson and Bryant.

Sure there’s Pippen, but he was more the Paul Scholes to your David Beckham.

All very sad and his daughter as well who it seemed was set to be the first women’s superstar thanks to genetics and name.

The only time I followed basketball was watching Meadowlark Lemon and the brilliant Harlem Globetrotters.

He used to clown around but was probably their most skilful player.

They were very entertaining to watch.

I think you could probably skew the stat either way based on whether you do it against time spent travelling or distance travelled. Per 100m miles, I think there would be more deaths in cars. Per 100m hours, I think there's probably more deaths in helicopters.

Celebrity Grief Groupies..are on fire again!
The gush on the radio beggars belief.
I dont mind hearing about the Basketball stuff... but the " wonderful human being "
stuff ...oh dear!

Helicopters.....get in one at your peril...easily the most dangerous thing youll ever do! Deathtraps!

Doh ! Doh with chips and salad even.

There are Millions more Cars than Helicopters. So more deaths ?

Cars as yet dont fly so we can wait a bit for comparisons!

Lol if you want to travel from one side of London to the other you are 100 times more likely to die in a car crash. If there were no other cars on the road you might have a point. Unfortunately there are. It's safer to fly a helicopter somewhere than drive there.

Lol you're talking b*llocks. Measured by hours travelling or miles it's more dangerous yet you're using the famous "travelling from one side of London to the other" method. Even then you've not really supported your point.

Only this forum could turn the loss of nine people into a furious physics debate.

Eagerly awaiting Coronavirus thread appearing and turning into a boycott of crap Mexican beer (ade)

This is a fair point. Clearly this loss of life is an absolute tragedy, one made worse given the involvement of children.

It's a difficult one because whilst I'd heard of Kobe Bryant I can't say I knew anything about him so his death hasn't resonated as some other famous people, that I'd also never met, may have done. I guess that's the weird thing about celebrity and why Bryant is the predominant focus of the mourning rather than the other victims. Obviously it's a tragedy for all of them.

RIP

This is a fair point. Clearly this loss of life is an absolute tragedy, one made worse given the involvement of children.

It's a difficult one because whilst I'd heard of Kobe Bryant I can't say I knew anything about him so his death hasn't resonated as some other famous people, that I'd also never met, may have done. I guess that's the weird thing about celebrity and why Bryant is the predominant focus of the mourning rather than the other victims. Obviously it's a tragedy for all of them.

RIP

Its the weird angles of news. I still haven’t got over South Today’s coverage of the Tsunami centering in on the person from Portsmouth who was seriously hurt. Oh and the couple hundred thousand that died....they got a mention at the end. Same with 9/11 someone that escaped was from Romsey etc etc

I can't buy in to mourning celebrities when others were killed in the accident and are killed every week in other accidents, certainly not front page news worthy , maybe in the States,
Young footballer was killed at the weekend in Nottingham, Royal Marine recruit tragically died in training, far more reason to be sombre for us Brits. But do we get RIP threads on here.

Yes tragic for his family but countless families are struck by tragedies.

and wading into the Helicopter debate, comparing the numbers to cars , the chances of a fatality in helicopter is far more likely than in a car % wise, and they do drop like stones on most occasions I can assure you.

A pilot having a 20 year career with 20+ flying hours a week has a 37% chance of a fatal crash according to statistics , that's one hell of a high probability all things considered.

It surprises me that Kobe (a one name celebrity/sports star over here) is not singularly identified internationally. As sports fans, I would have thought that everyone would have tripped over him at some time, as he won medals in two Olympics in addition to his NBA career. I don't say that with an iota of criticism, it just goes to show once again that we are on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

The mourning of a celebrity is always going to be disproportional to the mourning of "one of us", except of course for the family involved. How often do we say "I remember where I was when I heard ..... (JFK, RFK, MLK, John Lennon, David Bowie, Neil Peart, on an on) ... had died". It doesn't mean that their lives should be given more value that anyone else, but simply that their celebrity shone so bright that we felt that we knew them. Kobe yesterday will be one of those "I remember where I was" events for me.

It surprises me that Kobe (a one name celebrity/sports star over here) is not singularly identified internationally. As sports fans, I would have thought that everyone would have tripped over him at some time, as he won medals in two Olympics in addition to his NBA career. I don't say that with an iota of criticism, it just goes to show once again that we are on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

Basketball is just not in the public consciousness in the UK. I think many of us could name a handful of basketball players but would have no idea if asked to give any details about them. I don't know if I've ever had a conversation about Kobe Bryant before this happened.

I would imagine that if Sachin Tendulkar died suddenly that it would be a relative footnote in North America yet by most measures he's probably a bigger star. Twice as many twitter followers for example.

The mourning of a celebrity is always going to be disproportional to the mourning of "one of us", except of course for the family involved. How often do we say "I remember where I was when I heard ..... (JFK, RFK, MLK, John Lennon, David Bowie, Neil Peart, on an on) ... had died". It doesn't mean that their lives should be given more value that anyone else, but simply that their celebrity shone so bright that we felt that we knew them. Kobe yesterday will be one of those "I remember where I was" events for me.
Three USA sports that don't interest the majority of English sports fans are Basketball, Baseball and American Football.
Its like the USA sports fan knowing nothing about Cricket and Rugby.

I can't believe the amount of people on here that didn't even know who he was tbh. I know absolutely nothing about basketball but even I know who he is. Obviously not criticising it's just weird to me. maybe its an age thing

And yeah, celebrities get "mourned more" because they have touched more people's lives than regular people have. The amount of devastated people on twitter I've seen who held Kobe up as a role model and kind of father figure in their lives (especially people growing up without parents), I don't understand anyone taking the stance of "why mourn them so much over regular people, hmmm?"

Obviously his life isn't "worth" more than anyone elses, but it just comes across as contrarian and dickish to chastise anyone for mourning the death of a public figure if they've had a big impact on your life (not directed at you TJ just off on a tangent).

;