Non - Souness

I took the comment by Souness to be a figure of speech with no intent to disrespect the women’s game. With hindsight it would have been better to say that football is a contact sport and physical game.

So it's not a man's game if it's not physical? Toxic masculinity at its best right there, just as bad as rugby watchers who throw the same criticism at football.

FWIW I don't think Souness meant to be sexist or perpetuate toxic masculinity. It's the same as when my Dad says racist things without realising. But choice of language IS important and people should be called out on it, even if they shouldn't be vilified.

The problem is, he is being vilified.

I’m sorry, it must because I’m old. He didn’t abuse anyone, he didn’t swear.

It was a men’s match, there was quite a bit of physicality, particularly on the side line, and there was quite a bit of toxic masculinity. That is rarely seen in women’s match, as is hair pulling. How the hell did both the referee AND VAR miss that?

Points are being made about Souness, who I didn’t care a lot about, which are being blown out of all proportions.

It was a men’s match, there was quite a bit of physicality, particularly on the side line, and there was quite a bit of toxic masculinity. That is rarely seen in women’s match, as is hair pulling. How the hell did both the referee AND VAR miss that?

Points are being made about Souness, who I didn’t care a lot about, which are being blown out of all proportions.

Agree with most of that, but not sure I'd say that is toxic masculinity (which I personally think is dubious term anyway). If anything the act of pulling another mans hair alone is a feminine trait. And is it professional or unprofessional to do that to gain an advantage in a professional sport where people are willing to do seemingly anything they can get away with to gain an edge. Not sure if the player goes around pulling peoples hair in all walks of life, or purely in this arena to gain an advantage.

Can't help thinking that people are trying to find offence where none intended.
Man Looking even ?

Have we lost a ST holder and fan?

“I was a season ticket holder at Bournemouth because I lived down there. They have a 10,000 capacity yet they’re getting 25 times the money Rangers get.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/spor...-sydney-super-cup-move-says-fans-need-get-it/

Souness has also achieved legendary status at Liverpool, where he won a plethora of honours during his six years at Anfield.

But he doesn't hold a season-ticket with the Reds either.

Rather, Souness has come to devote his support to Bournemouth.

Speaking on Sky Sports, the pundit explained why and also admitted their recent form has disappointed him.

He said: "You end up becoming a Bournemouth supporter, like I am.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...ers-graeme-souness-bournemouth-season-ticket/

Well I've been to a couple of women's games lately and quite often you hear the shout " man on ! " where are we going with all this ? Should I be offended ?

On TalkSPORT on Monday morning, Souness said: “My comments yesterday, I said we’ve got our game back. That is the kind of football I remember playing, and we will be better for it … men were playing men, they got about themselves … it was a throwback, and I think our football will be better for it.”

When asked if he regretted the comments Souness said: “Not a word of it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ed-mans-game-premier-league-chelsea-tottenham

Now this from Shebahn Aherne,

Last edited:
100% this.
I know what Souness meant, but these days it's a somewhat unfortunate choice of phrase he used, and there probably wouldnt have been such a fuss in some quarters if he'd had added 'in the context of this match'.

Yet that's seems how you have interpreted his output ... 'in the context'. ..and you can't just pander to all in those 'quarters'...they lie in wait many of them, for the slightest wrong word/phrase... the Woke taking the stuffing out of the British Empire !

..it's like on this Forum ...you can very easily upset the more sensitive types...if you just rap out what's in your mind at Random.

Yet that's seems how you have interpreted his output ... 'in the context'. ..and you can't just pander to all in those 'quarters'...they lie in wait many of them, for the slightest wrong word/phrase... the Woke taking the stuffing out of the British Empire !

..it's like on this Forum ...you can very easily upset the more sensitive types...if you just rap out what's in your mind at Random.

I don't think you can upset anyone tbh Brian.

Agree. Some are easily upset. They go blubbing on about the British Empire.

In cricket they got rid of the term "Batsman" and replaced it with the term "Batter."
So, how come the fielding position "Third Man" is still used?
Got you there flakes.

obviously you don’t watch much cricket these days
majority of people just call the position ‘third’

its all part of trying to make women feel included in sports that they were actively discouraged, or banned, from playing just a few years ago.
I still have no clue why making a very small change in your language, to help half of the population to feel more included, upsets you so much.

Reactions: DJ

;