Non - Tokyo Olympics

I was thinking about doping in football recently. How many of you think it's actually really common but that football is too big to fall so it's hardly ever policed?
Honest answer is I don't know, and I do know football is cynical enough to dope. And we can likely be sure players weren't always clean in the past. That said I take comfort in 2 things:

1) Being such a multi-discipline sport, it wouldn't be nearly as beneficial to footballers as say sprinters or other specific athletes. Anabolics and testosterone etc may help you be that bit stronger or faster for longer. But they don't turn a lower league player's technique, first touch, eye for goal. timing of a tackle, range of passing etc into a PL footballer's level of those same attributes.

2) Football is a bit of a village. So much news leaks out constantly, with it being under such a microscope (unlike athletics or cycling, which the mainstream media forgets about for months or years on end in-between major events).

You know about transfers well before they're official, you get leaked salaries and fees everywhere, you hear clubs are in financial trouble well before they admit it. There's such a churn of players and staff between clubs. Players and staff who later become journalists and pundits. Football is perhaps the most leaky sport on the planet.

I doubt a club would be able to keep something like that a secret, when they can't even keep the clauses written into their player's contracts a secret. And if every club was in on it, a journalist would likely be jumping to leak it.

Last edited:
The European Championships and World Cup every two years is enough. We don't need to get involved in that nonsense football as well.

Why not, problem is the amateur aspect has disappeared from the games. Footballers, golfers, tennis and no doubt many other sports are pro's

Honest answer is I don't know, and I do know football is cynical enough to dope. And we can likely be sure players weren't always clean in the past. That said I take comfort in 2 things:

1) Being such a multi-discipline sport, it wouldn't be nearly as beneficial to footballers as say sprinters or other specific athletes. Anabolics and testosterone etc may help you be that bit stronger or faster for longer. But they don't turn a lower league player's technique, first touch, eye for goal. timing of a tackle, range of passing etc into a PL footballer's level of those same attributes.

2) Football is a bit of a village. So much news leaks out constantly, with it being under such a microscope (unlike athletics or cycling, which the mainstream media forgets about for months or years on end in-between major events).

You know about transfers well before they're official, you get leaked salaries and fees everywhere, you hear clubs are in financial trouble well before they admit it. There's such a churn of players and staff between clubs. Players and staff who later become journalists and pundits. Football is perhaps the most leaky sport on the planet.

I doubt a club would be able to keep something like that a secret, when they can't even keep the clauses written into their player's contracts a secret. And if every club was in on it, a journalist would likely be jumping to leak it.

no doubt goes on, not sure on what scale though.

would help with recovery from games/training, and allow for greater intensity, thats for sure, so I find it hard to believe it doesn't go on.

Taint Fair...taint Right...taint Proper.

But in All Sport....Money is the Gaffer..all sorts of sh*t will get past the Administrators and their checking bods !
Money.

It gets even more of a p*ssing off factor..if we discover any doping or whatever scandal in the Paralympics...lets hope not because if anyone they can show a good way ..they can!

;