Non - Tokyo Olympics

Tokyo : Seems like a good place and event to reactivate a Pandemic...better than Cheltenham Races or Anfield - If reports of 'lack of vaccinations' are correct. Less than 10% of population ?.

I'll get my kamikaze flying jacket ! :coolio:

Kamikaze flyers killed thousands of allied troops. Best leave it there Brian please. I am no snowflake but as a student of WW11 history I know the terror they caused.

Kamikaze flyers killed thousands of allied troops. Best leave it there Brian please. I am no snowflake but as a student of WW11 history I know the terror they caused.

Some things are best not joked about.

I will add that a couple of years ago, I visited the Chiran Peace Museum on Kyushu dedicated to the Kamikaze campaign. As well as being very informative and factual about the campaign, it highlighted that combatants on both sides were individual human beings with stories to tell about their lives and deaths as well as the horrors of war in general.

1,036 Japanese from Chiran died as tokkoh-tai (the correct name for a Kamikaze pilot) but 86% of tokkoh-tai failed in their missions.

From all bases, approximately 2,800 tokkoh-tai died during the war. They sunk 34, (mostly US) Navy ships and damaged another 368. They killed around 4,900 sailors and injured 4,800.

Some things are best not joked about.

I will add that a couple of years ago, I visited the Chiran Peace Museum on Kyushu dedicated to the Kamikaze campaign. As well as being very informative and factual about the campaign, it highlighted that combatants on both sides were individual human beings with stories to tell about their lives and deaths as well as the horrors of war in general.

1,036 Japanese from Chiran died as tokkoh-tai (the correct name for a Kamikaze pilot) but 86% of tokkoh-tai failed in their missions.

From all bases, approximately 2,800 tokkoh-tai died during the war. They sunk 34, (mostly US) Navy ships and damaged another 368. They killed around 4,900 sailors and injured 4,800.

I'm currently reading this

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19471162-the-battle-of-okinawa

Kamikaze gets a fair bit of coverage.

Must have been terrifying for all concerned; makes modern suicide bombers look like amateurs.
BTW I'm only half way through, don't tell me who won.

Back on topic, I challenge anyone to get a pun out of a word only used every four years, "repêchage "

I personally can’t wait, although the time difference is going to be a bit of a nightmare.

London 2012 was the best ever. Took 2 weeks off work, went to a couple of events and watched it solidly. Nothing can compare to that.

Yes was 'reasonable'.

Ran in the steeplechase in the OS test event (Weds night in the first week) to check everything was kosher, had tickets to Super Saturday and women's volleyball final the following Saturday night.

The test event was amazing - treated like normal athletes, used the warm up track, used the free food and water, star spotting etc! Me and my mate got in the way of David Rudisha doing some warm ups when we were warming down after the chase. Great times, probably the most patriotic I have ever felt.

Plenty of Cameras will be there...they make them down the road !
..mind you Athletes don't pose like Politicians and do nothing...so they will just get on with their stuff...and we can see it on TV.

some event don't have spectators, or are not necessarily integral to the sport but others will miss them a lot. It's a shame to be honest.

Seems a bit odd that our cases dwarf theirs and we're the ones playing sport in crowded stadiums. I guess we know what we're doing!

;