Non - Top 10 comedies?

As the saying goes, don't mock Finnish comedy. It's no laughing matter.

I did like this sketch though (with English subtitles in case any of you still haven't got around to learning the language).

I think it might be a catch on kids sweets day, normally friday.
Here in Denmark you often hear kids in the supermarket asking their parents for sweets while out shopping, the parents answer it's not Friday. "Slikdag"

I’ll add support for Cheers and Phil Silvers Show / Bilko but who remembers Terry Scott and Hugh Lloyd in The Gnomes of Dulwich.

Bilko was always on in the mid - fiftes and early sixties...didn't really understand it much as a kid because of the fast - paced dialogue and loads of shouting...but seeing it now on utube and being better adjusted to American military type humour...it's very entertaining.

Last edited:
Some cracking mentions on this thread, fairly startled by SDD preferring an American version of an English sitcom, I’ve not seen it so can’t comment but as we seem to be getting into some proper comedy nostalgia. Beyond our Ken and Round the Horne are great and brilliantly written, further back ITMA stands the test of 80 years

Bilko was always on in the mid - fiftes and early sixties...didn't really understand it much as a kid because of the fast - paced dialogue and loads of shouting...but seeing it now on utube and being better adjusted to American military type humour...it's very entertaining.

Bilko was very funny, maybe not too much competition at the time but always worth watching.
No-one has mentioned On the Buses which had some great characters. Was anyone unfortunate enough to see Olive (Anna Karen) in Fiesta?

I have recently wondered why i've never found anything about The Office even remotely funny..not even one scene...or the American version...when all my adult family members seem to love it !
I'm hazarding a guess it's because i've never worked in a conventional civilian office. ... and only occasionally in a ships technical office or in a barracks.....so I'm thinking that perhaps I just don't 'get' the culture ?

Last edited:
Bilko was very funny, maybe not too much competition at the time but always worth watching.
No-one has mentioned On the Buses which had some great characters. Was anyone unfortunate enough to see Olive (Anna Karen) in Fiesta?
Oh yes ..On the Buses...like Rising Damp, a great piece of character casting.....in particular the irrepressible Stephen Lewis as Inspector 'Blakey' Blake..

Where the f*** did you drag that from!! Youve just resurfaced an image, probably from my early teens, that was much better left in that never to resurface part of the brain. I hope it haunts you forever

A couple of less obvious shows, but top of my list are 'Blott on the Landscape' and 'Clochemerle'.

Both only ran as a single series, but left me wanting more.

;