Non-Top 5 Horror Movies

I don’t find horrors scary but I do enjoy some of them.
In No real order

Alien
Aliens
A Serbian film
Silence of the lambs
The thing ( with Kurt Russell)
Haven't watched A Serbian Film...but have heard things haha. In a somewhat similar vein, The Human Centipede didn't scare me persay, just made me want to throw up.

Alien is a top choice also.

Barely missed my top 5 but freaked me out when I was a kid:

-The People Under The Stairs
-Hellraiser
-The Medusa Touch

Shawn of the dead and Cabin in the Woods for comedy factor

28 Days Later
IT (Tim Currie)
Exorcist
The Shining
Alien
- all great shouts

Would add the first Paranormal Activity, before the sequels got too samey and predictable. The Conjuring was similar, good initial concept, sequels get predicable.

My favourite not mentioned so far: Event Horizon. That weirded me out for a while on first showing, but I was perhaps a touch young at the time. :)

Last edited:
Agree with both mentions so far, the Tim Currie IT was so much better than the recent one

Not into horror as a genre, but I'd go, in no particular order:

Halloween
The Ring
It
Alien
The Thing

And, as a runner up, even though it was a bit shit, Thirteen Ghosts

What no mention of Young Frankenstein??? Not the scariest, but easily the funniest horror movie...which I reckon makes it the best . In Dorset Plod's book I am a complete fanny when it comes to scary films - See no point in being scared shitless watching a film.

But I do still have nightmares about watching Marcos Painter playing for us.

What no mention of Young Frankenstein??? Not the scariest, but easily the funniest horror movie...which I reckon makes it the best . In Dorset Plod's book I am a complete fanny when it comes to scary films - See no point in being scared shitless watching a film.

But I do still have nightmares about watching Marcos Painter playing for us.
Young Frankenstein may just be the funniest film ever, full stop.

I'd give that honor to 'Blazing Saddles' but yes really can't go wrong with anything Mel Brooks does.

Can you even get hold of blazing saddles still?

Turns out yiu can on amazon, youtube video.

Must be heavily censored/edited? Google and Amazon aren't usually shy of removing books that they deem inappropriate.

Must be heavily censored/edited? Google and Amazon aren't usually shy of removing books that they deem inappropriate.
Still on some apps but yes not as widespread as it used to be due to the things contained within it. No way a movie like it could be made in today's society for sure which is a shame as Cleavon Little himself came out and said it was not meant to be racist, just a movie, and black people all the time on youtube review it and laugh about it.

But anyway, I have owned it on Blu-ray for several years now and still periodically pop it in, one of my favorite movies of all time. Spaceballs is up there also.

Blazing Saddles was the most extreme satire on racist America there’s ever been. It couldn’t be made today which is a real shame as it exposed the truth about inherent attitudes in almost all of western society.

'Common clay of the new west...you know...morons' :)

So so funny. Like 'In sickness & in health' and other similar productions, all made to highlight peoples prejudices, but in a sledgehammer way.

Not a movie
and, arguably, not really horror
but ‘The Last of Us’
Both PS games are in my top 10
and the TV series was magnificent.

Indeed. I didn't mind the so called 'controversial' story parts in the 2nd game or controlling Abbie.

But God, did it go on... and on... and on...

About twice the length of the original. Was willing/hoping for it to end each chapter after about 20 hours. Good game for sure, just too long imo. And I don't mind long 100 odd hour rpg, but style of game LOU is didn't lend itself well to being so long in tge 2nd one imo.

Resident evil also quality series (some of them anyway).

I think horror films should be split into two categories, as there are a number that are more entertaining and rewatchable and some that are just for a one time viewing.
Horror does get the most criticism unfairly at times when it comes to rating from the critics than any other genre I feel.

I think the most scary and dark atmosphere horror film I've watched was The Entity (early 80s) Barbara Hershey, the music played a big part aswell but it was apparently based on true events of a woman who was getting sexually assaulted by a demonic poltergeist, at the end a scientist believes her and helps to try and catch it and it' shown in it's form for the first and only time to be this massive insane energy ball of light that is 40 foot high and the sound effects give it more tension, but it's strength allows it to escape the trap but it's a film that sticks with you.

But the horror films I enjoy the most and rewatch even if they're less scary are - Nightmare on Elm Street, The Lost Boys, Jaws, Dog Soldiers, Scream, The Thing and any of the Stephen King adapted movies even if alot of them were b movies.

The quality of horror films is not as good as it used to because the heavy use of CGI has often ruined alot of the modern ones and made them look less creative but there still has been some good ones in recent times - Bone Tomahawk with Kurt Russell 2015, Cabin in the Woods was decent and different. It Follows was good 2014 and I liked 'Smile' which came out last year. The Cube was a good film late 90's and they made a few more likes it recent times like Circle and Belko Experiment these are moral dilemma horror films similar to the premise of Saw.

I think the more recent ones that have been good have the antagonist using more psychological tactics to break down the protagonists mentally rather than the relying on the old ways of stab and kill.
Even the IT remake was alot like that and it was fairly good, Tim Currie is obviously a legend but Skarsgaard played IT very well.

Last edited:

;