Non - Video Games

Not very good at video games for obvious reasons but here goes:

Amidar
Had to move a paintbrush around straight lines and fill in squares/rectangles. Chased I think by pigs which you could jump over.

Spent too much money in the George in Dorchester on that game.

Jet Set Willy
Played on various versions of the ZX Spectrum

Manic Miner
Ditto

My uncle used to know some people who were running the funfair at Weymouth, and when they shut in the winter we looked after an Arcade machine which played Asteroids.

Tried one of those games Which needed answers to questions about trees and wizards etc (Valhalla or something) but didn’t have the patience.

My gaming history goes back to the Sega Master System and ZX Spectrum 128k +2.

Have great memories of Match day 2 on the speccy. Yeah, the pitch was about 150 yards long and the players ran like they were running through treacle, but it was the first footy game I ever loved. In terms of top 3, I'll go with

1. Pro Evolution Soccer 3
2. Anno 1800
3. Astroneer

My tastes over the years have changed so much. Used to love a first person shooter, though was never great at them. Don't enjoy them much anymore. Now I'm more into resource gathering/building adventure type games and strategy.

Those that had the zx spectrum, do you remember the feeling after waiting ages for it to load with the screeching, the border would then just flash colours and you knew the load had failed and needed restarted?

Also later games started to have load screens?

Those that had the zx spectrum, do you remember the feeling after waiting ages for it to load with the screeching, the border would then just flash colours and you knew the load had failed and needed restarted?

I remember this so well..... Was so hit and miss sometimes.
Some games had a timer on the 'graphics' that loaded in the 2nd phase of the sequence, but most didn't. A game loading in 5mins was considered quick.
Some crashed during loading, sometimes you knew they had, other times you couldn't tell.
Such a magical time

Ly mates
Those that had the zx spectrum, do you remember the feeling after waiting ages for it to load withhe screeching, the border would then just flash colours and you knew the load had failed and needed restarted?

[/QUOTE
The smugness and superiority radiated from my mates that owned a Commodore 64.

I haven't bought a new Football Manager since about FM13, but I play FM12 occasionally. It has the perfect amount of detail without being too complicated to just pick up and play.

I largely agree with USCherry's top 4, but I'd swap Elder Scrolls with Uncharted. Uncharted 4 is one of my favourite games of all time and it's probably the most visually stunning game I've ever played.

Have you seen Fallout London is released on st George's Day this year? It's s fan-made mod/add on for 4 and it looks incredible. I'm really looking forward to it.

Assuming you have pc or xbox/ps5.

You can install FM Console version on PC, as well as playing it on console.

If you sub Gamepass, you get it for 'free'.

Its basically 90% features of full pc version. But they get rid of the tedious stuff (for me), like too many press conferences, having to appoint a configure 10's of backroom staff (you just appoint DOF (I always go for Neil Dawson...), Assistant Mgr, Youth Coach, Physio (I always go for Neils mate) and Scout.

Match engine, tactics etc are exactly the same as the full PC version.

Bit odd getting used to using controller, rather than K/M, but you soon get used to it. Plus, I prefer laying/sitting on sofa when playing games now.

Also, I find tactics stuff too convuluted and bloated, so tend to copy a half decent realistic 'meta' tactic thats just plug n play - nothing silly exists in game engine these days anyway, like 20-30 years back and silly way OP tactics (Diablo being one iirc... something like 1-4-5 lol... and you'd roll up and win 7 nil and stupid stuff like that?). Good forums out there, that run thousands of games to test each tactics effectiveness and publish league tables for them so you can choose.

I enjoy the game, player selection, buying selling etc and seeing the career unfold. Find all the granular tactics stuff, thats difficult to be entirely sure of its impact, as dont like watching entire games (key highlights, full speed is my preferance) or analyzing data in depth.

Console version as I said uses exactly same engine as PC, but slightly stream lined (in positive way imo). Mobile/touch versions of game uses entirely different engine.

And how you could stop after a few seconds, then hack the code to give unlimited lives!

I haven't bought a new Football Manager since about FM13, but I play FM12 occasionally. It has the perfect amount of detail without being too complicated to just pick up and play.

I largely agree with USCherry's top 4, but I'd swap Elder Scrolls with Uncharted. Uncharted 4 is one of my favourite games of all time and it's probably the most visually stunning game I've ever played.

Have you seen Fallout London is released on st George's Day this year? It's s fan-made mod/add on for 4 and it looks incredible. I'm really looking forward to it.
Been bumped because the Fallout 4 update is two days later.

It's doubly disappointing because apparently the game starts on the 23rd as well which is a neat touch.

I blame the chippy at the top of Dale Road, Oakdale for having that space invaders machine back in the day. Anyway my top three PC games of all time.

IL2 Sturmovik - Russian made WW2 flight sim that I first started in 2001. Now in VR. The Russians really excel when it comes to PC gaming and graphics. Still shooting down 109's to this date.

Call of Duty - speaks for itself. Back in the day was ranked in the top 200 world wide before I burnt out, got old.

Medieval Total war 2 - just lost myself in it plus Rome TW.

VR. Remember Half Life Alyx ?, now without doubt the most complete and visually impacting VR game to date . I've so much stuff in my steam library I'll never finish it all. Currently dipping into Anno 1800 and started Days Gone tonight plus a bit of MSFS2020 in VR.

I've been building PC's since 2000 and have been chasing frame rates ever since. That said I don't go nuts, prices have gone daft although I wished I'd invested in NVIDIA who sadly are keeping things artificially high.

Lst build was an RX 6900 XT Extreme Formula 16GB chucking out 300 W (next upgrade 4090)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
32gb DDR5
Meta Quest 3 headset.
Top 200 globally? Thats insane mate. Given level of popularity, how seriously many take it.

I enjoy COD, for what it is.

I didnt get into online gaming until COD World At War - late 2000's. 'Keeping on fighting until German victory is assured!!!!!'

Played it solidly for another 2 or 3 versions... then just got totally bored of it and couldnt face it anymore.

When I got back into gaming few years ago, mate persauded me to try that awful Battlefied release (think they started refunding people due to state it was in). Before I was aware of what a disaster it was, I played it for 45 mins before stopping. Just didnt like massive maps, or much at all - just didnt feel right.

It whet my appetite for a decent FPS, so immediately installed Vanguard and felt like I'd never been away from the series. Felt easy. natural getting back into it, like I'd never been away... 10 years or so since I last played it.

Problem I have with online games, is get drawn in more and more, competative side comes out as I get somewhat decent. Good 'buzz' compared to single player, but can 'waste' hours and hours and doesnt feel like I've gotten anywhere, compared to single player games.... in some ways. And as get more drawn in competative, serious etc, can feel a bit more stressful, get frustrated sometimes. So much prefer single player games again now. Plus online games usually have too much of grind/dangle carrot mechanisms, to keep you hooked it, and on treadmill, so can get drawn in/spend time to keep up with power curve... ultimate team on fifa being prime example imo. EA are so cynical, way they purposely structure online modes... you either have to put the time in regularly or spend money to get most better/in demand players that people want.

I visited some EA forums/Reddit and amount of people that give impression they can barely stand the game, but 'addicted' for years and can't give up the non stop grind/treadmill and frustrations of dealing with mechanisms EA employ to keep people locked in and not interested in playing anything else.

Re Alyx. Read thats phenemenol. PSVR2 players, hoping that will come to ps5 eventually.

Was tempted couple of years back to upgrade my pc graphics card, and buy decent vr for that. This was before vr2 was announced for gt7. And I was starting to get into sim ('simcade' as some like to call gt7...) racing. PC leads way for that with several super realistic sims, such as iRacing, Assetto Corsa/Competezione and others. iRacing considered number 1 for serious racers still, despite dated graphics/engine. Incredible how seriously people take it. Has human 'stewards' that review races, and dish out bans, ammend final positions if someone deemed to have broken rules in anyway.

Played assetto corsa competezione on ps5 for a while... firmly in full car sim category. Focused on GT3 (and 4) racing series IRL (which btw, is vastly more entertaining than F1 now, if you're bored of the sterile circus F1 may be far to often in this era... basically highly tuned homoglobated cars: BMW M4, Lambo Huracan, Ferrari 296, Porsche GT3 etc etc... touring car series...)

1713176047622.png

1713177628709.png

BTW, BMW GT and M cars lights are f*****g mean aren't they. Viper (or as my daughter says on mine 'crocodile eyes'. Just the right side of menacing/sinister, without.. in good way, imo. Obviously purposefully designed like that by BMW... so people know to get the f out of our way when 'making progress' in outside lanes on the road. Love them :D

You can do all the usual tuning ie suspension, lsd etc. But also heat tyres to suit track, strategy. Tyre heat changes as race progresses, effecting grip, along with wear. Can also choose PSI/Bar or tyre pressure.
Force Feedback is unreal... puts GT7 to shame tbh. I've lifted weights for 25+ years, so grip, strength is certainly there for playing a game/driving. But I ramp it up, and can feel tension, fatigue building as race goes on, as you battle with car, feel all the undulations in road, curbs... very good indeed. But cant play it anymore, as not in VR (on ps5).

Main reason I didnt take plunge, was it being in that covid period where it was very difficult to source 30xx cards, and even proper established retailers were marking them up massively. If they'd been just a little cheaper and easier to source, I'd have likely taken the plunge tbh... but then gt7 vr2 arrived, and I very happy to stick with that. Only issue is, I can't bring myself to play any racing games not in vr now, as just feels flat (pun...) and not where near as immersive as vr. Like I said in OP, driving in vr with wheel, brings it so much closer to real thing. So, so good its unreal mate. More like using genuine driving skills (or lack of...) and senses. Lapping/racing Nordschleiffe is epic, so good.

Tried gt7 online and really liked it at first. Issue with racing games is that cpu 'stewarding' can be exploited, or people sometimes work out driving like a dick and incurring 3 second penalty or whatever is worth taking the hit on, rather than driving cleanly. So you're relying on other players good will, rather than win at all costs mentality. Less idiots in races when you achieve high ranking, but still goes on too much imo. At least in FPS (usually pc, as cant cheat/hack consoles afaik - most the time), the odd cheater/idiot doesn't have too much impact. But after spending time qaulifying, then getting smashed off course early on or any point in race, preventing any realistic chance of wunning, totally spoils things and makes feel like waste of 20-30 mins. Before starting again for next race.

Always liked looks of Anno actually mate, looks right up my street and total war series. Love Roman history/era in particular. Used to play all flavour of strategy games in 90s. Civilization, Sim City, Settlers, Age of Empires and more... with less time on hands now, I tend to stick with Football Manager as my poison for strategy games. Barely have time to play that really, never mind getting into Civ/Anno... they're not 20 min games here and there are they.

Last edited:
COD -Keyboard / mouse, old school druss . My lads into it big time more so as well as PS5, so encourages me to buy games on steam I probably wouldn't bother with nowadays, loads of 'em...endless. 'Dad so and so's on offer' -hence Days gone tonight, usually a zombie theme somewhere! He hands his old monitors down to me as well as phones so I win there. I only pushed ahead with the CPU/GPU for VR - have Elite as well, it looks epic in VR but I can't seem to gel with it so hardly touched.

Want to try Days Gone. Heard mixed views on it. Some love it, and feel it didnt receive praise it deserved. ZOmbie 'swarms' are apparently incredible.

Wonder how much of review 'bombing' is down to main character apparently not fitting in to modern dare I say it sjw/woke crowd. As apparently he's a bit 'old school' ;)

Opposite to Last of Us 2. Where the 'gammons'/'bigots' bombed it, due the 2nd part of game, moving the trans/'hybrid' 'villain' and what she did at beginning to one of the main characters from old game.

Hard to name just 3 but I'll pick my 3 that aren't AAA based on play time

Crusader Kings 2 (maybe 3) - It's a historical dark ages/medieval dynasty simulator. I love it because every other strategy game like Civ is basically the same equal setup with a cheating AI. With this you make your own difficulty by picking historical figures (or make your own), for example in the 1066 start William the B@stard is an easier start than Harald Hardrada. Immensely complex but crazy fun. You end up doing some weird stuff like abducting women to marry for their positive genetic traits, murdering your children or sending your mum to Genghis Khan as peace offering.
Finally when you're bored of Europe (and India) you can install mods to play Game of Thrones, Elder Scrolls, Witcher, etc.

Rimworld - You take control of a small group of people on a sparsely populated planet. Much more accessible than Dwarf Fortress particularly pre-GUI but really follows the "losing is fun" ethos. Again a huge scope of things you can do and you find yourself in some hard places like having a food shortage but a load of dead raiders you've not buried yet...

Streets of rogue - single dev indie game. Randomly generated maps and character classes that drastically change the way you approach the game. From a cop who can only arrest/attack people who've committed a crime, a body snatcher that travels through toilets, a hacker who remotely opens doors and sets turrets on people, a thief who pickpockets and sneaks in windows, a zombie that just eats everyone and makes more zombies, a gorilla trying to lead a monkey uprising and has a bloodfeud with scientists etc

Crusader Series is on my radar mate. Looks right up my street. But as I mentioned in another post, barely have time to play much these days, and Football Manager is my strategy timesink game of choice.

You ought to give it a go
A modern rpg will blow you away with the quality
The best form of entertainment for me - beats tv and movies hands down

100% If I'm going to sit down in front of tv alone, pretty much always elect to boot up ps5 or series x. So much more engaging, fun, rewarding imo compared to films/tv, which generally I can barely tolerate tbh. Usually end up playing around on my phone instead whenever I do attempt to watch something.

As you say, modern games are insanely good entertainment.

Picking three is hard but I guess I'd go with:

Speedball 2 (Amiga version)
Still fire it up occasionally on an emulator for a go. Ice cream, ice cream... Pure arcade joy with touches of humour scattered throughout.

Football Manager
First version was Championship Manager Italia, the one before 2. Played it on and off ever since. When it's an 'on' time then it dominates! I don't think anything else needs to be said about this here. You all know.

The Witcher 3
Love an rpg, and for me this is still the high water mark. After all the gushing reviews I thought Baldur's Gate 3 was going to top it but, in my opinion, that was alright but massively overrated. CD Project then dropped the ball with Cyberpunk but believe they're now working on The Witcher 4 so hopefully they get their mojo back. Which will come first, that or Elder Scrolls 6?

I don't know if it's a mental block when games get lots of hype but seems like I struggle to connect with some games that everyone else seems to love. Didn't enjoy The Last Of Us and gave up on it. Never sunk much time into any of the GTAs even though I had most. They just didn't grab me. Did enjoy an online FPS romp when TFC ruled the roost but lost interest when CS took over. I guess I'm the weirdo in this scenario.

Going back to the original point, picking just three is tough though since each era in your life tends to have a couple of very influential games.

Haha first thing I always think of when speedball is mentioned is 'icecream, icecream... get ready'.

Think I preferred the original actually. Way league was formatted, or something, that disappointed me in the more polished and 'better' overall 2nd game.

My first football (championship back then...) manager was 92/93... green box with angry man on it. Was so excited by Italia and later French, German and Spanish standalone releases... but never played them as think they were pc only.

Agree re Witcher 3. I'll try BG3 at some point, due to hype. Cant say I particularly enjoyed divinity 1, when I tried it a year back, which is similar style of game... but only gave it an hour, and ime epic 'big' rpg's typically take me many hours to get into and see hype. No doubt BG3 vastly superior to that, but impression I glean is that BG3 is a bit more niche, and not everyone will appreciate the mechanics/style (turned based?) and initial learning curve, whereas something like witcher 3 and other 'blockbusters' have more wider appeal and easier for people who aren't fans of that particularly genre in general... dungeons and dragons.

Mentionign turn based, reminds me of final fantasy series. 1st one was ff7, and I played and completed 4 or 5 after that. Love the world, style. storylines. Turn based fine by me, but some really dont like it. Not into japenese, anime style things in general but something about ff series got it hooks into me. Should probably try dragon quest at some point...

I'm similar actually re popular games/series. Usually end up buying gta, but just find it doesnt capture my interest enough... not sure I've ever completed one. Usually play for 10 hours and get bored. Massively over rated imo, very popular with wider audience, sort of crowd that just buy and play COD, FIFA, GTA and nothing else... due to hype, marketing etc. Not bad games as such, I just think theres much better out there, but many aren't interested and seem to stick to the 'obvious' popular choices. Perhaps influenced by contrarian part of me, that can rebel and go against grain with popular stuff. Just feels a bit mindless, shallow and silly to me... runnigng people over, beating the hell out of people with baseball bats for the sake of it with a main storyline line I dont care enough about. maybe would have held more interest in teen years. but probably me being awkward.
:D

Even more so with COD/FIFA in past decade or so. Where they do their usual annual release, charging premium price, and barely anything changes. Plus introduction of micro transactions into online side... and utter garbage Blizzard activation charge for.... useless skins, guns etc, that I assume appeals to kids more than anything. I prefer keeping guns in original colours, rather than running around with a bright pink or sparkly coloured gun, with a character dressed as a clown, greek god or lionel messi.

I do like COD, for what it is. But just got bored of it now and not motivated enough to play it for online, as just spend all free time on it and no real sense of progress for me, not interested in camos and grind attached to them.

I do like Last of Us. First one was very good imo. Perfect length too. Sequel was first game I played when I returned after several years hiatus. Decent, but f me it went on way too long imo.

I had no issue moving 'villian' trans/hybrid or whatever some people say she is in 2nd half. I did have a problem with length of game though,. About 10 hours in could sense I was starting to force myself to play it more. By 15-20 hours had overstayed its welcome and was almost willing/pleading it to end as I reached end of chapter. Almost excrutiating to get through it, just didnt engage me enough. Good game, but wish it was curated to similar length of first installment. Obviously many love it, but gameplay loop just got stale for me. Much better games out there imo, again, hype around likely bhoys the plaudits... which went too far imo.

Last edited:
Assuming you have pc or xbox/ps5.

You can install FM Console version on PC, as well as playing it on console.

If you sub Gamepass, you get it for 'free'.

Its basically 90% features of full pc version. But they get rid of the tedious stuff (for me), like too many press conferences, having to appoint a configure 10's of backroom staff (you just appoint DOF (I always go for Neil Dawson...), Assistant Mgr, Youth Coach, Physio (I always go for Neils mate) and Scout.

Match engine, tactics etc are exactly the same as the full PC version.

Bit odd getting used to using controller, rather than K/M, but you soon get used to it. Plus, I prefer laying/sitting on sofa when playing games now.

Also, I find tactics stuff too convuluted and bloated, so tend to copy a half decent realistic 'meta' tactic thats just plug n play - nothing silly exists in game engine these days anyway, like 20-30 years back and silly way OP tactics (Diablo being one iirc... something like 1-4-5 lol... and you'd roll up and win 7 nil and stupid stuff like that?). Good forums out there, that run thousands of games to test each tactics effectiveness and publish league tables for them so you can choose.

I enjoy the game, player selection, buying selling etc and seeing the career unfold. Find all the granular tactics stuff, thats difficult to be entirely sure of its impact, as dont like watching entire games (key highlights, full speed is my preferance) or analyzing data in depth.

Console version as I said uses exactly same engine as PC, but slightly stream lined (in positive way imo). Mobile/touch versions of game uses entirely different engine.
Can you appoint me as the massuer?

;