Our away support

Is there any connection between this and the fact that we have won 5 league games away but only 3 at home? If there is, which is the chicken and which the egg?
Who knows. I would just say that 4 of our away wins were at teams in the bottom 7 and we will now be playing 5 of that bottom 7 at home in the next few weeks so I would hope the home wins number increases by a lot.

Who knows. I would just say that 4 of our away wins were at teams in the bottom 7 and we will now be playing 5 of that bottom 7 at home in the next few weeks so I would hope the home wins number increases by a lot.
it's always (well, in recent years) been a thing with us... that we seem to prefer playing away... Our away support seem to be more forgiving and less inpatient than our home support... At home, we can be quiet, moan, get on the players backs (vociferously) and are largely a 'reactive' crowd...

Maybe if we were more 'proactive' and backed the team like we did v City, week in week out, we'd yield better and more consistent results at home.

Edited to add... From the last 10 games we have the 5th best form away from home. At home is a different story. We sit 15th in the home form table... This needs to change over the coming weeks.

Last edited:
it's always (well, in recent years) been a thing with us... that we seem to prefer playing away... Our away support seem to be more forgiving and less inpatient than our home support... At home, we can be quiet, moan, get on the players backs (vociferously) and are largely a 'reactive' crowd...

Maybe if we were more 'proactive' and backed the team like we did v City, week in week out, we'd yield better and more consistent results at home.

Edited to add... From the last 10 games we have the 5th best form away from home. At home is a different story. We sit 15th in the home form table... This needs to change over the coming weeks.
Agree, I always prefer away games for all sorts of reasons but the crowd support is one of them.
This season has been a bit odd in that we seem to play almost all the bottom half sides away in the first half of the season and obviously the reverse in the second half. We need to get on top early on against the teams coming up and try and get the crowd going at home.

Reactions: drd

I don't reckon it's the crowd influence on players at all. We've not had a history of better performances away and I don't personally think home crowds have been very unforgiving - the reverse if anything given how most seem to prefer the style of football.

Also, if getting on the team's back was an issue West Ham, Millwall, etc. would never win at home.

There was an American university study on what causes home team advantage in sports a few years ago and they concluded that it was the crowd's influence on referee decisions.

Burnley's crowd I thought were better than pretty much all of the other games I've been to. They're much more behind their club than when I went to Newcastle, Everton, Man U, Sheffield, Brighton & West Ham, possibly because they're up against it and they could probably sense they had a chance, but we've been absolutely magnificent every game, even the Everton one.
Loved the "we've got more fans than you!" at the end

Burnley's crowd I thought were better than pretty much all of the other games I've been to. They're much more behind their club than when I went to Newcastle, Everton, Man U, Sheffield, Brighton & West Ham, possibly because they're up against it and they could probably sense they had a chance, but we've been absolutely magnificent every game, even the Everton one.
Loved the "we've got more fans than you!" at the end
This surprises me. Didn't go (watched on TV) so will obviously bow down to those that were there, but the atmosphere sounded woeful on TV. Couldn't hear our fans loads, but they were pretty much all you could here... At times it sounded like we were playing on a municipal park

Interesting to see that Wimborne Town took over 50 to Mousehole on the weekend- over 300 mile round trip. Pretty good for a local team in the 8th tier. They won too.
Best pound for pound local support, certainly at home. Better than Poole Town.

Not biased as my dad's a ST holder ;)

;