Our away support

The late 70s we were really in the doldrums...all the promise of the early 70s and then to be in the old Div 4 we struggled with home and away interest

Yeah every time I see home attendances from that period it's crazy how low they are... Newcastle averaging 16k in a season; Chelsea 12k; Leeds 15k

Those 'stories' about the thousands who went to Brighton Villa are true. There were over 5,000 at Brighton on Boxing Day. I believe that there were 62 official coaches plus several on private hire.
The South End decamped to the Goldstone en masse.
I don't believe that there have been more Bournemouth supporters at an away league match before or since.
There were almost as many at Villa.
The aggregate attendance of the Brighton fixtures was over 50,000

Grimsby away, freezing cold Friday night 3-3 draw (remember Lee Bradbury's boxing celebration). Me and my kids made up 5 of 68 away fans in total.
Bloody amazing fish and chips that night though!
I know two others (sons) who were there that game..selling out of date alcohol apparently which one tucked into!

Those 'stories' about the thousands who went to Brighton Villa are true. There were over 5,000 at Brighton on Boxing Day. I believe that there were 62 official coaches plus several on private hire.
I don't believe that there have been more Bournemouth supporters at an away league match before or since.
I would also add, 75% of the coaches parked at the Greyhound Stadium at Brighton were smashed up.

I can confirm that. Went to both.
Having said that you did risk, even with those numbers getting ‘A smack in the mouth’.
As the the phrase was back in that era.

Agree, I always prefer away games for all sorts of reasons but the crowd support is one of them.
This season has been a bit odd in that we seem to play almost all the bottom half sides away in the first half of the season and obviously the reverse in the second half. We need to get on top early on against the teams coming up and try and get the crowd going at home.
I always loved away games in the evening for some reason.

We had a Cooper Dean (pub) coach for Brighton....the windows were all smashed....today a new coach would of been called up....but no , we drove home in the freezing cold...happy days.. :grinning:

We played away to Brighton in an evening game after that Boxing Day one. Can't recall whether it was the following season or one after that. I remember a small group of us at the away end, surrounded by home fans. Early to mid 70s. Maybe 50 of us? I don't know why there were so few. I'll check the archive for the exact date.

Plymouth 1973 ?

We played away to Brighton in an evening game after that Boxing Day one. Can't recall whether it was the following season or one after that. I remember a small group of us at the away end, surrounded by home fans. Early to mid 70s. Maybe 50 of us? I don't know why there were so few. I'll check the archive for the exact date.
Remember this, I think. Did we move to the side stand?

Whilst I can’t match some of the low away support numbers already talked about, I do remember going to Wigan with 173 others and having the whole of one side of the ground which was great as we just moved along nearer their goal at half time.

There was a thread on the Brighton Big Board about the Boxing Day match.

First proper crowd trouble seen at the Goldstone Ground apparently

Was that when some prat had a tape measure purportedly measuring us for coffins and going on about having chased Millwall? He really was a serial tosser.

I can remember being at the Vetch on a Friday night with low numbers.

Can also remember being at Oldham this century with only about 100 of us.

;