Philip

Boreham Wood in the FA Cup and I don't want to be reminded of that day ;)

What a classic that was :s. Horrific. Contebder with blyth Spartans under quinn... although at least Boreham wasn't a few miles from Scotland like that.

The 100 afcb fans who travelled to thst should get a season ticket for life as compensation!

Never got the love-in with Kilkenny.

He's 23 and struggled to get half a dozen starts in League One last season. Has there ever been a player with that profile that's been capable of doing a job in the Premier League?

That's the concern. Looked good in glimpses for us, and media have highlighted him before as potential to be something special, but at 23 and struggling to get in a league one side, there's clearly something substantial that's currently lacking.

I know some say he's more suited to less dirty/strength/aggression orientated higher levels, but if he was anywhere near good enough fir the pl or championship he'd have excelled in league 1, no matter how 'soft' he's perceived to be (which I don't think he is btw' as he's not that slight znd has demonstrated he's not afraid to go in for crunching 50/50 tackles.).

His decision making/intelligence, technical ability would be significantly be beyond most League 1 players to nullify any strength/bravery issues. Also times have moved on from the 90s znd before where lower league pitchs were regularly akin to a water logged, mud ridden surface not far removed from duck Lane or bransome Rec in mid winter. Pluscplayers get much more protection at all pro levels in this country, so it's notvas easy to properly scare, physically bully/intimidate players like before, unless the player is a complete pansy/coward.

If he doesn't excel elsewhere this season, I think we'll have to accept that fir whatever reason he was unable to fulfill early promise.

A 24 year old who's barely played for a champ or league 1 team is extremely unlikely to suddenly start appearing in a top flight lineup.

Remember seeing him in the friendly against Lyon and thinking that he would definitely be starting in the future. Is a bit odd it hasn’t worked out so far, even at the lower levels.
Struggles when tackled I think. He was originally more of a right sided attacking midfielder I believe, but Parker moved him into the deeper midfield role. As we all remember, he was a joy to watch and his passing was amazing, but it seemed after half time, opposition teams would just target him and a) he got pressed before making the magical passes b) he got dispossessed. Understand he was unlucky on his first loan last season to Stoke with an injury, managerial change and tactical switch where his role wasn't needed so much. Think he only played a few times. Not sure how things went for him at Charlton.

is it possible we've delayed on a contract pending the arrival of the new manager and his assessment of how phil fits in, or not, with his style of play?

£50k pw over 3 years is the thick end of £8m

is it possible we've delayed on a contract pending the arrival of the new manager and his assessment of how phil fits in, or not, with his style of play?

£50k pw over 3 years is the thick end of £8m

I think the big changes that have occurred at the club over the last few years have led to the contractual situations we have seen. Lerma is even more clear cut but when you think about it there was no way that either the club or the player were going to extend his contract when we were in the championship. We did manage to extend contracts but only for players who are likely to have taken pay cuts.

Dom extended his contract after we got promoted as did Anthony but Lerma was down to the last year with the chances of a massive pay day on the cards if he runs it down. Billing had an extra year so in theory should have been easier but I think he'll know the interest out there, and likely bumper pay day, is bigger than in Solanke's case.

The club will need to throw significant money at him to get the extension so it will be down to whether Iraola likes him or not.

Good luck to him. The only other AFCB player I can think that did this previously was Ibe. Hopefully the P man gets a better result out of it.

Anyone have any idea why he's made the change?

;