Play Off final move to accomodate CL Final?

Catch 22 for UEFA really. Can't be seen to be doing favours for the clubs of England that tried to breakaway, but they could also use it as an oppertunity to make it look like they prioritise fans over money.

The first one would be an easy sell saying the quarantine on return to the UK would be too damaging to preperation for the Euros.

I do think it should be moved to the UK, just not Wembley which is already booked or any of the teams which tried to break away, which rules out England (nobody else has a "UEFA Elite" stadium). Hampden Park is a good shout.

According to this morning’s Telegraph there are three way discussions between Turkey, the UK government and UEFA. Wembley is the front runner but only if the UK government waives quarantine rules for around 1,000 overseas officials, VIPs and sponsors. Turkey will be offered the 2023 final instead (which is also their football centenary). Expect a decision sometime in the next couple of days.

The EFL has already agreed to reschedule the play off finals to accommodate the CL final.

Not in the Telegraph, but no way would the UK government countenance Sturgeon benefitting from Scotland hosting the final at Hampden Park.

Wasn't Turkey due to host it last year and it got moved to this year?
Yes so two years in a row.

However need some sensible fiexibility in unprecedented times.

Also a small matter of players not being allowed back without a quarantine period so miss start of euros. Not sensible.

Reactions: DJ
According to this morning’s Telegraph there are three way discussions between Turkey, the UK government and UEFA. Wembley is the front runner but only if the UK government waives quarantine rules for around 1,000 overseas officials, VIPs and sponsors. Turkey will be offered the 2023 final instead (which is also their football centenary). Expect a decision sometime in the next couple of days.

The EFL has already agreed to reschedule the play off finals to accommodate the CL final.

Not in the Telegraph, but no way would the UK government countenance Sturgeon benefitting from Scotland hosting the final at Hampden Park.
The FA and SFA are separate members of UEFA. Interference by the uk government would re open the debate about only allowing team GB rather than the 4 independent teams to enter competitions.

It's a pity that they can't move the game against Brentford on Monday to a reasonable KO time.

I know that it's dictated by Sky, but now that supporters are allowed back in the ground, how the bloody hell is anybody who lives more than a short journey from the ground (and yes I do appreciate that you've got to be successful in the ballot!) supposed to get to the game?

Sounds like EFL want their showpiece game at Wembley so would like a Sunday date now.

That would avoid me the embarrassment of choosing football over a family event on the Saturday!

What a crock of crap. The 2 sides that wanted to do away with the Champions League last month want the game played at Wembley on the same day as the Championship play off finals.
The play off finals must stay at Wembley. It is the reward for the clubs who make it there.
The big 6 make me vomit.
Maybe if we have the misfortune to have to play these clubs next season, visiting supporters protests should be loud and annoying.

What a crock of crap. The 2 sides that wanted to do away with the Champions League last month want the game played at Wembley on the same day as the Championship play off finals.
The play off finals must stay at Wembley. It is the reward for the clubs who make it there.
The big 6 make me vomit.
Maybe if we have the misfortune to have to play these clubs next season, visiting supporters protests should be loud and annoying.
In fairness (not sure why I'm saying that, just feels wrong), the 2 clubs aren't asking for it to be played there on 29th. Date won't be moved, Eufa decision and prime tv time, sponsorship etc.

I also suspect they'd be happy to play anywhere in England, or Portugal if their fans can travel.

So Wembley could have 4 games played over 3 or 4 days (don't forget the L1 and L2 playoff finals). How on earth is that going to work, the pitch will be a mess.

Who knows if we'll have a stake in it anyway.

Kenilworth road is available for the play off final. Get my vote

They could cancel the Champions league final. Just award the trophy to both clubs. I'm sure that would satisfy the money men that missed on on their ESL bonus payments.

And it's not that long ago, that it was the largest capacity football league ground in the country (discounting Wembly)

My Dad used to go to the Old Valley and told me stories about how large the crowds were, record around 75,000, but he reckoned some games there were more.

From memory he mentioned an Arsenal game that was packed with more in than probably should have been.

I went to a game once at the Old Valley and went up to the top of the high terrace, think it was a reserve game and there were not many there.

This is from the Guardian under the heading,

Champions League final could be switched from Istanbul to Wembley

"An exemption for a crowd of 25,000 [for the Champions League final] might have to be agreed if the final was to be moved to London, and there is speculation the EFL would also expect a crowd of 25,000 to be allowed into the play-off final were it be forced to change."

If so, AND WE GET THERE, all the season ticket holders, all those with maximum home points and those with a decent amount of away points could attend.

So:-

- move the final of the Chelsea-City sideshow to Wembley
- allow 25k in to the more significant play off match as well
- we smash Brentford and get to go.

"An exemption for a crowd of 25,000 [for the Champions League final] might have to be agreed if the final was to be moved to London, and there is speculation the EFL would also expect a crowd of 25,000 to be allowed into the play-off final were it be forced to change."

If so, AND WE GET THERE, all the season ticket holders, all those with maximum home points and those with a decent amount of away points could attend.

That would be great if they keep the play offs for the bank holiday weekend. What happens if ours gets moved to the Tuesday? A lot harder for people to go plus a knackered pitch.

...UEFA will take priority with their money spinning game and I think that The Championship Final will be moved to another date or re-housed?

IF and it is a massive IF we get there I would be happy to play it at Tottenham as it is a much better stadium IMO...but would also take the more traditional surroundings of Villa Park or even St Marys for geographical reasons?

As a maximum points holder, gets my vote

;