Players To Come In For Next Season?

Such a slow news pre season. Even Ben white to Arsenal hasn’t happened yet when thought that was a done deal. Big fear is that august will be a big upheaval with ins/outs.

Think it was two seasons or so ago that some were singing the praises of Kilkenny after seeing him play for us.

But he seemed to disappear into the background for whatever reason after that.

Think it was two seasons or so ago that some were singing the praises of Kilkenny after seeing him play for us.

But he seemed to disappear into the background for whatever reason after that.
It’s that classic thing where a slight skilful player looks great in friendlies but stick them in a frenetically competitive game with a decent person marking them and they disappear.

Kilkenny looked great a couple of years ago against Lyon I think it was but he was so poor in the Carabao cup game at Burton and had to be withdrawn early as he was fought out of it. I think we are all just desperately hoping for a player to come through but would say it’s more likely to be someone with speed and physique like Jaiden than it is Gavin. Hope I’m wrong though.

It’s that classic thing where a slight skilful player looks great in friendlies but stick them in a frenetically competitive game with a decent person marking them and they disappear.

Kilkenny looked great a couple of years ago against Lyon I think it was but he was so poor in the Carabao cup game at Burton and had to be withdrawn early as he was fought out of it. I think we are all just desperately hoping for a player to come through but would say it’s more likely to be someone with speed and physique like Jaiden than it is Gavin. Hope I’m wrong though.
Don't tell topfarrier! ;-)

Tbf judging anyone on an EH cup performance probably isn’t a fair reflection of their ability. Tyrone Mings looked absolutely hopeless against Millwall but is now a regular in the England squad, just as an example. Thinks it’s only fair to judge these guys when they’re integrated into an already settled side.

Tbf judging anyone on an EH cup performance probably isn’t a fair reflection of their ability. Tyrone Mings looked absolutely hopeless against Millwall but is now a regular in the England squad, just as an example. Thinks it’s only fair to judge these guys when they’re integrated into an already settled side.
I’d agree if we we were talking about a below par footballing performance from him but in the couple of competitive games I saw him play he was just bullied out of it which is very different. He was actually ok on the ball

It was a couple of years ago though so he may have strengthened

I’d agree if we we were talking about a below par footballing performance from him but in the couple of competitive games I saw him play he was just bullied out of it which is very different. He was actually ok on the ball

It was a couple of years ago though so he may have strengthened
Fair enough points. I agree that he needs a lower league loan before he is ready for this level, likewise Zemura. Both have all the technical attributes but like you say, would struggle physically. Imo currently Anthony and Ibsen Rossi only ones capable of stepping up.

He played on the right wing in that game.....I'd imagine that it would be better to judge him in his best position.
Not sure what excuse Lewis Cook had for being sh1te in that game though.
If Kilkenny isn't at least Championship quality we might as well send the rest of the youth team home.

He played on the right wing in that game.....I'd imagine that it would be better to judge him in his best position.
Not sure what excuse Lewis Cook had for being sh1te in that game though.
If Kilkenny isn't at least Championship quality we might as well send the rest of the youth team home.
If you are going to give a youngster a game then you have to judge him over a few games not one .
Anthony looks very good on the left and uses his pace very well. So if you are going to play him , play him there
Kilkenny is the same . People might say he’s lightweight but let him play a few games, he will adapt.

I remember when surman rejoined is and we played him left midfield

You don't have to be an "expert' to have an opinion on a certain player ......why would we have a fans forum if not to have opinions offered and debated?.......
As for Kilkenny you don't seem to be grasping the point of posters suggesting he should be given a chance..... whether he was good enough to get into the team in previous seasons is completely besides the point..... it's whether we think he's good enough now ... especially in the likely event that Lerma will be leaving.
What would you rather we did.... replace Lerma with a youth player from a PL youth team or give one of our own an opportunity?

A couple of examples of young Premier League players that haven't turned out too badly are Mason Mount (Derby), Ben White (Leeds) and Reece James (Wigan). Would I replace one of our players with those? Every day of the week but it doesn't mean that I don't want my own youngsters to develop.

A couple of examples of young Premier League players that haven't turned out too badly are Mason Mount (Derby), Ben White (Leeds) and Reece James (Wigan). Would I replace one of our players with those? Every day of the week but it doesn't mean that I don't want my own youngsters to develop.
Derby had a team full of loanees tbf ..... They didn't go up and guess what happened when the loan players buggered off?...... Swansea did the same last season and will suffer for it this season.......you can't develop other clubs youth players as well as your own....... sending technical players like Gavin Kilkenny to L1 is a worthless exercise that will do him more harm than good.

;