Players To Come In For Next Season?

Name me any player that you think we can't do without if they are injured, and I will share how we could. Make it extra hard by naming any 2 other players who could also be injured that I can't use to cover.

I'll be fair and not do a Chris Sutton style hypothetical change. Any body can overspend and load a squad full of contingency but the real skill is valuing what you have!
If Solanke is injured then we currently only have kids to step up, in one of the most vital areas of the team. We clearly would be completely f*****d if he were to get injured today, to suggest otherwise is to be polite, optimistic in the extreme.

With a bit of luck think by the time of the window closing, we will see one or two new faces in our team.

20 days still to go.

If Solanke is injured then we currently only have kids to step up, in one of the most vital areas of the team. We clearly would be completely f*****d if he were to get injured today, to suggest otherwise is to be polite, optimistic in the extreme.
Why couldn't we play Anthony up front?..... obviously if Danjuma stays we're sorted...:grinning:

I'm not sure how that would work....why would we buy him next season when we could get him for nothing?

Because Spurs could make it a condition of a loan that if we get promoted, and CCV has played in x games, then we have an obligation to buy him for £x million. That way, we get him now which is when we most need him and Spurs potentially get much more for him than his current market value.

Why couldn't we play Anthony up front?..... obviously if Danjuma stays we're sorted...:grinning:
Even if Anthony and Danjuma were not available, we could play two up, with Marcondes deployed in a proper 10 role and bring alive Saydee who would just be a handful. He might be young but he strikes me as difficult to mark. Supported by Brooks and Stanislas that's still a decent front 4.

Marcondes had a bad run of injuries but he is capable of goals, lots of them.

Because Spurs could make it a condition of a loan that if we get promoted, and CCV has played in x games, then we have an obligation to buy him for £x million. That way, we get him now which is when we most need him and Spurs potentially get much more for him than his current market value.
Yes but what if we don't get promotion?.....we can hardly give Tottenham back a player who's contract has expired....just doesn't make sense from their point view......they might as well take a low offer now.

I'm not sure. I'm making this up but perhaps we could commit to buy?
But he might not want that, a loan with an obligation that expires if we don't go up is better if he wants to move on to PL or elsewhere, rather than be tied to championship for 3 years.

If we get him though, somebody needs to leave as we look fully stocked at the back right now?

Name me any player that you think we can't do without if they are injured, and I will share how we could. Make it extra hard by naming any 2 other players who could also be injured that I can't use to cover.

I'll be fair and not do a Chris Sutton style hypothetical change. Any body can overspend and load a squad full of contingency but the real skill is valuing what you have!

It depends what you mean when you say “can’t do without”.

Yes, technically there is a backup for most of our players (though I’d argue we don’t have a backup for Solanke). But do we want to challenge for the top 6 or are we happy with lower mid table?

You could have made the case that last year we had sufficient options in defence, and that CCV therefore wasn’t required. But without his quality you wonder if we’d have made the play offs. You could have made the argument that Danjuma wasn’t required as we had just signed Riquelme and already had Brooks, Stanislas and Anthony. But without Danjuma’s goals we almost certainly wouldn’t have made the play offs.

If we want to challenge this year then not only do we need backups for injuries, but we also need additional quality, options and competition for places. We have zero alternative options upfront at the moment, and our lack of depth means that we are constrained to only ever play formations that have 1 striker. If Solanke gets injured, banned etc then we’re all of a sudden relying on an untried youngster. Go through a barren spell in front of goal and that poor kid is going to be feeling unbelievable pressure. It would be bad for the team and also his development.

Additionally in goal, we have Travers and Dennis. Travers has 13 professional games under his belt, Dennis has zero. Travers could become a great keeper (no idea on Dennis), but right now he really struggles on crosses (of which they’ll be plenty in the Championship). He ideally needs a full season on loan somewhere, or at worst another season as understudy. Parker knows this which is why he is trying to sign a keeper.

If we keep Danjuma then we don’t need alternatives on the wings, but let’s be honest, he’s going. Stanislas spends 20-30% of the season injured, so that leaves Brooks and Anthony. Brooks is also relatively injury prone and it’ll be Anthony’s first full season. We need backups and competition there.

If we want promotion or top 6 then its not simply about coming up with a name of a player that could potentially slot in should there be injuries. It’s about competition, having quality options, the flexibility to change it when it’s not going right. We lack that in certain areas at the moment.

But he might not want that, a loan with an obligation that expires if we don't go up is better if he wants to move on to PL or elsewhere, rather than be tied to championship for 3 years.

If we get him though, somebody needs to leave as we look fully stocked at the back right now?
I'm not trying to guess what CCV wants, merely thinking about possibilities.

;