Players To Come In For Next Season?

No I don’t. But I think it’s bordering on insanity to go into a new season with our second choice striker being an inexperienced 21 year old with one league start, who has little/no experience playing up front.
But that's what we did last year and finished top 6.

Remind me who strolled the Championship last year and who the second striker that they relied on, if in fact they had a second striker that started more than 10 games.

Hell Man City won PL often playing without a striker .

I think too much of what everyone insists we need is based on what they have become accustomed to us requiring for PL or seeing down the ages, and wanting ideal squads without the consequence of paying for it.

Parker might still be eying up targets but are they additions or replacements?

On Travers, there's quite a few out of contract goalies, so easy to pick one up if we are that worried about injury or form, plus the emergency loan rules apply if you get both injured. Nyland might be good competition for Travers for example, currently available on a free, with experience over the years.

I don't see this squad as anything near bottom half. So, the question is whether we are so desperate to make expensive short term decisions now to increase chance of getting promoted this year or willing to build the team up so that we have a squad that can survive when we do, with good but not certain chance of being in the running by Jan when the window would help us take a smarter punt. If we get promoted, Travers for example still won't be ready if he's had a season in L1, same as Kilkenny, etc.

At the very least let them play until we get closer to the window closing. If we get battered, I am sure the doubts will creep in my mind, if we don't, can the light shine into others.

A player that was linked with us has now left Palace.

SSN

DANN LEAVES PALACE

Scott Dann has left Crystal Palace after seven years at the club after his contract ran out.

Dann is looking for a new challenge. Palace were keen for him to sign a new deal.

Palace are now looking to sign another defender in this window.

But that's what we did last year and finished top 6.

Remind me who strolled the Championship last year and who the second striker that they relied on, if in fact they had a second striker that started more than 10 games.

Hell Man City won PL often playing without a striker .

I think too much of what everyone insists we need is based on what they have become accustomed to us requiring for PL or seeing down the ages, and wanting ideal squads without the consequence of paying for it.

Parker might still be eying up targets but are they additions or replacements?

On Travers, there's quite a few out of contract goalies, so easy to pick one up if we are that worried about injury or form, plus the emergency loan rules apply if you get both injured. Nyland might be good competition for Travers for example, currently available on a free, with experience over the years.

I don't see this squad as anything near bottom half. So, the question is whether we are so desperate to make expensive short term decisions now to increase chance of getting promoted this year or willing to build the team up so that we have a squad that can survive when we do, with good but not certain chance of being in the running by Jan when the window would help us take a smarter punt. If we get promoted, Travers for example still won't be ready if he's had a season in L1, same as Kilkenny, etc.

At the very least let them play until we get closer to the window closing. If we get battered, I am sure the doubts will creep in my mind, if we don't, can the light shine into others.
That would be nice but it’s not true. Our second choice striker last season was Surridge, an out and out striker who had considerable football league experience playing in his actual position. We also had king for half the season and then Shane Long for the other, both experienced football league players.

That would be nice but it’s not true. Our second choice striker last season was Surridge, an out and out striker who had considerable football league experience playing in his actual position. We also had king for half the season and then Shane Long for the other, both experienced football league players.
Yep we would have been better off with the youth team players......that post just adds another tick in the 'much better off than last season' box imo.

SSN

DANN LEAVES PALACE

Scott Dann has left Crystal Palace after seven years at the club after his contract ran out.

Dann is looking for a new challenge. Palace were keen for him to sign a new deal.

Also seen him linked with a return to St Andrews.

SSN

DANN LEAVES PALACE

We won’t sign Dann. Can you imagine Scott Dann playing high and having to run back towards his own goal?

Ridiculous to say we’d have been better off with a youth team player than Surridge last season, Surridge is a more than adequate player at this level.
Do you think that we would have been any worse off if we gave the youth team players the spots on the bench that Surridge...King and Shane Long occupied last season?..... I'd love to know what you think any of them contributed to our season.

SSN

DANN LEAVES PALACE

Stange time for a contact to run out…!

I do think that if we could ever get Stan fit and keep him fit we could use him as an out and out striker. Might suit his broken body a bit better as well.

Do you think that we would have been any worse off if we gave the youth team players the spots on the bench that Surridge...King and Shane Long occupied last season?..... I'd love to know what you think any of them contributed to our season.
Arguably after that goal that Anthony scored in the friendly Betway cup Vs W Ham, I was very surprised to see him not get more minutes last year.

He is definitely able to contribute equally this year if not more than Surridge did last year, so an upgrade already.

Based on output and effect, Cherry Bear would have had more impact than King did, sadly.

Just off the top of my head Surridge contributed a man of the match performance away to Barnsley and was a game changing substitute at home to Wycombe. He was pivotal in obtaining those six points. King and Long contributed nothing.

You think so? It was his preferred position at West Ham .
My preferred position is CEO of Microsoft...but like Stan that doesnt mean its right for me...although our former manager before JT and JW played our wide players as if they were strikers....anyone who saw Danjuma in the 2ndg leg against knows that wide payers up front is dubious

;