Positives and negatives v Palace

A genuine question. That performance today was bad for several reasons, but that was the worst under O’Neil by far and one of our worst ever PL performances. Manager ill, a virus in the dressing room, lots of players out. They seemed very leggy and off today irrespective of tactics, we looked so lethargic on and off the ball. Is there a chance that the overwhelming shittiness could potentially be down to illness? :LOL:

A genuine question. That performance today was bad for several reasons, but that was the worst under O’Neil by far and one of our worst ever PL performances. Manager ill, a virus in the dressing room, lots of players out. They seemed very leggy and off today irrespective of tactics, we looked so lethargic on and off the ball. Is there a chance that the overwhelming shittiness could potentially be down to illness? :LOL:
I don't believe that O'Neil should have been anywhere near the club in the last few days. If he's had the flu type virus that a lot of us have had recently he's probably been infecting half the club and it's employees. I appreciate he is fitter than the majority of us and his recovery time is better but it seems madness that he has been around the coaching staff and players with a virus that could take out half of our squad by Tuesday.

It's valid, but they've played like this since the break. Mostly not the virus, I say.

For me moore is a player to bring on and not a starter in the premier league especially if your trying to play. We should go back to last years team and see if were good enough.team is not set up right and players
confidence has gone.
I'm with you on that.

That was my positive take on it.

I usually find it's good to sleep on things, rather than just throwing my toys out of the pram in the immediate aftermath of a wretched performance; it's often helped me put things in some perspective, shown something positive in the thread of misery, painted - if you like - the sun coming up on the picture of a filthy day.

But today I've woken up and if anything my take on yesterday's performance is even worse than it was last night.

Every aspect of our game yesterday was very very poor. We were playing a Palace side (yes PALACE), low on confidence with not one shot on target in their previous two outings (yes NOT ONE), and at home (yes at HOME) and we encouraged them to play like they could boss the game from about minute 5. Where was Dom? He was covering in Phil's position because Phil was somewhere else. Why was Keiffer on if we weren't hitting balls into the box for him? Where was Anthony - certainly not where he's supposed to play. I could go on with almost every team member. I noticed they didn't award a MM Man of the Match - well now I can understand why - who the hell would it have been - probably Emi Marcondes because his warm up down the line was pretty decent.

And having seen Gary O'Neil's comments on MOTD aswell - it's just not good enough. Coming out with the usual footballing platitudes - "nowhere near good enough", "didn't do what they're trained to do" etc - yet somehow looking like a rabbit frozen in the headlights makes me really worried. Don't get me wrong - I like the guy but let's face it he's a trainee, and his backroom staff are trainee backroom staff - good for steadying the ship after Scott Parker's "moments" but - how can I put it? It's like you leave the settlement negotiations for a particularly tricky divorce in the hands of a trainee Solicitor and a couple of guys on work experience. All good blokes hoping to succeed but really shouldn't be driving the car.

We ae now shamefully the team with the highest goals conceded from corners/set pieces - guess what Ten Haag will be telling his players for Tuesday? I tell you, I'm going to watch ManUre's first corner very very carefully, and if we still don't do a decent job of defending it properly then I'll be convinced we need a proper coach who can coach these things. Yes some of the squad looked like their heads were elsewhere yesterday and that could be virus-driven (Senesi, Jeff), but defending a corner is pretty basic.

UTCIAD

For the Blake Hughes haters moaning about our ‘numerous’ managerial appointments:
https://www.football365.com/news/ranking-premier-league-clubs-manager-turnover
Not sure what this proves? 1)We are not in it? 2) they didn’t put their exaggerated roles with a head coach reporting in until 29 months ago and have changed manager every 7 months since.

Not rating someone is also not the same as hating someone. You disagree with most things i say Rob but I know you like me as a person!!

I don’t think the answer at this level is Jaidon Anthony and Jordan Zemura. Sure they obviously have a connection and they partner nicely with some quick interchanges at times. But it is limited and was quickly worked out yesterday when they were paired together.

Defensively they’re not at the races, Anthony doesn’t cover his full back, Zemura positionally is questionable which breaks the position of the centre back alongside him.

I think a priority in the transfer window will be a new left back and depending on Tavernier’s injury perhaps a new left winger as well.

Billing isn’t the answer there, he has to be the 10 if he plays, get Solanke back in the 9, as the 10 he tries to do it all, it’s admirable, but he needs support.

I don’t think the answer at this level is Jaidon Anthony and Jordan Zemura. Sure they obviously have a connection and they partner nicely with some quick interchanges at times. But it is limited and was quickly worked out yesterday when they were paired together.

Defensively they’re not at the races, Anthony doesn’t cover his full back, Zemura positionally is questionable which breaks the position of the centre back alongside him.

I think a priority in the transfer window will be a new left back and depending on Tavernier’s injury perhaps a new left winger as well.

Billing isn’t the answer there, he has to be the 10 if he plays, get Solanke back in the 9, as the 10 he tries to do it all, it’s admirable, but he needs support.
Yes - good points but the key acquisition for me is a creative midfielder. We’re not moving the ball through the “middle third”; rather we surrender it quickly, putting the defence under pressure time and again. If Rothwell’s not the answer let’s upgrade - this is one position for which it’s worth spending ££££ - or should that be $$$$?

Had a chance to reflect after yesterday. Lots of negatives already covered. However, somehow we're still 15th. We've got a new owner with big plans and money to spend on players. And whilst I want GON to succeed, if he doesn't start turning these negatives into positives pretty quickly, I think Foley will act decisively. So I'm not feeling the doom and gloom at the moment. One thing is for sure, 2023 is going to be a rollercoaster..

Had a chance to reflect after yesterday. Lots of negatives already covered. However, somehow we're still 15th. We've got a new owner with big plans and money to spend on players. And whilst I want GON to succeed, if he doesn't start turning these negatives into positives pretty quickly, I think Foley will act decisively. So I'm not feeling the doom and gloom at the moment. One thing is for sure, 2023 is going to be a rollercoaster..

Indeed! New signings imminent, probably for substantial fees, likely new manager soon as well, plus stuff around ground, training facilities, director/mgnt changes behind the scenes etc

Not sure what this proves? 1)We are not in it? 2) they didn’t put their exaggerated roles with a head coach reporting in until 29 months ago and have changed manager every 7 months since.

Not rating someone is also not the same as hating someone. You disagree with most things i say Rob but I know you like me as a person!!
Its funny how you can see most things clearly except those that don't align with your view.

Even despite relegation our number of changes at a managerial level are no different to most other clubs. And the changes are the stick you use to beat them with.

I'm adding context to your point.

Yes - good points but the key acquisition for me is a creative midfielder. We’re not moving the ball through the “middle third”; rather we surrender it quickly, putting the defence under pressure time and again. If Rothwell’s not the answer let’s upgrade - this is one position for which it’s worth spending ££££ - or should that be $$$$?
I thought this too watching yday. Cook and Lerma sit SO deep and neither are particularly creative or ball carriers. We really miss someone to link defence and attack, especially when Phil is chucked out on the left wing. It ends up with Dom dropping back to the half way line but then he has to beat 4 men and has nobody to pass to. Rothwell was maybe supposed to be that player but looks like he's not up to this level.

I thought this too watching yday. Cook and Lerma sit SO deep and neither are particularly creative or ball carriers. We really miss someone to link defence and attack, especially when Phil is chucked out on the left wing. It ends up with Dom dropping back to the half way line but then he has to beat 4 men and has nobody to pass to. Rothwell was maybe supposed to be that player but looks like he's not up to this level.

Rothwell is a very good champ player, but nothing about him says he has the ability to unlock top level defenses as he did I the champ. A cheap pointless signing imo (if you call 25-30k a week cheap)... unless we planned to get relegated and hr spearhead the following campaign.

It’s hard to judge Rothwell based on a few cameo appearance.
The Cook and Lerma combination is like 2 players playing 1 role . To dominate the game and to get forward quicker you need centre mids to demand the ball from the defenders and then have the quality and ability to be creative.
I think many are blindsided due to the cook winning the youth cup all those years ago and Lerma for his heroic tackles and the odd shi@housery he does .
We barely dominated a game in the middle last season and this season we are so far off it , it untrue

;