Post-match thoughts v Chelsea

I wasn't aware we had to double/treble?

Sometimes getting fair value from the contract is OK, even though as fans it sticks in the throat

BHA are the current darlings, doesn't mean they will be in 2 years high probability they won't.

Comparing to best is laudable, but ignoring the mean is disingenuous.

We are at least mean. I suspect we are top quintile.
Neil has moved on from the exemplar that was Burnley.

Remember when it was Norwich because they started the season better than we did then finished bottom.
Ah yes the year we spent a shit ton more cash than them and also got relegated. That was a proud season. Not that I remember holding Norwich up as an example of anything but I’m sure you are right as you know me better than I do.

Neither you or @RobTrent are comparing apples with apples. Burnley was about staying in the league for a sustained period of time spending less money than we were chucking around. They have competed in the PL for more years than us on a much smaller spend. Brighton are an example of brilliant recruitment. Two different arguments but you both crack on.

Ah yes the year we spent a shit ton more cash than them and also got relegated. That was a proud season. Not that I remember holding Norwich up as an example of anything but I’m sure you are right as you know me better than I do.

Neither you or @RobTrent are comparing apples with apples. Burnley was about staying in the league for a sustained period of time spending less money than we were chucking around. They have competed in the PL for more years than us on a much smaller spend. Brighton are an example of brilliant recruitment. Two different arguments but you both crack on.
Thanks for your permission to continue to highlight the myriad ways in which you try and play down what the club does.

Last edited:
I thought we were moving the ball very quickly yesterday. Obviously watching on TV I could not tell but the commentators were saying that we gave Chelsea too much space in the first half which appeared to be because the back line was not playing high enough, giving more space in the midfield when they passed through our press - gallagher specifically had a number of times space to run at the back line. AI must have seen it as after half time it stopped.

Full backs were immense. Hopefully Kerkez coming off was a precaution as he was on a yellow and nothing more. Or perhaps after Brentford he was taken off for fitness. No surprise given the amount of runs he made

Lastly, it can't be overstated how bad Dango was. I was surprised to see him second half. Kluivert was very lively when he came on

Onwards and upwards to the couple of free hits against Brighton and Arsenal before the easy games.

Last edited:
I came out of that game thinking, end to end 0-0, exciting, lots of chances, good game for the neutral. And then I read the BBC Sport report, which calls it a “forgettable draw” compounding bournemouths “lacklustre start to the season”. They really don’t like that we sacked O’Neil and tried to improve, do they? If they could just pretend to have any interest in teams like ours, they’d know that 2 losses out of 5 with the start we’ve had is not bad going at all. I’ve seen enough, I think we’re finishing 12th +. Easily.

But even then I like to read other teams fan forums after our televised games, and not one person had anything good to say lol. We’re apparently a beyond awful team to everyone except us :grinning:

Oh well.
What I find so depressing about the BBC coverage, and The Guardian's come to that, is that they're supposedly all about fairness and equality and yet they're both absolutely obsessed by the big clubs. Before, during and after Saturday's game it was all about how Chelsea performed, it's as if our players had no effect on the game. Recently the Guardian ran a piece about stuff people might have missed about the clubs outside the top 6 and they were inundated with comments pointing out that readers might have missed this because the Guardian only ever wrote about the top 6 and the top European clubs.

not sure if already mentioned the penalty we should have had yesterday?
for the foul on kluivert, the contact continues inside the area
does VAR not get involved if the ref forgets the laws?

What I find so depressing about the BBC coverage, and The Guardian's come to that, is that they're supposedly all about fairness and equality and yet they're both absolutely obsessed by the big clubs. Before, during and after Saturday's game it was all about how Chelsea performed, it's as if our players had no effect on the game. Recently the Guardian ran a piece about stuff people might have missed about the clubs outside the top 6 and they were inundated with comments pointing out that readers might have missed this because the Guardian only ever wrote about the top 6 and the top European clubs.

This is all true but it's never going to change. The vast majority of people reading/watching only care about the top six clubs and these media outlets don't really have an obligation to devote an equal amount of column inches to all clubs.

There was an incident in the first half where it appeared that their defender stopped a through ball with his hand, if it was his hand it was a clear red because Solanke was clean through but for the interception. Not seen it mentioned anywhere so perhaps it wasn't handball, anyone know?

Kelly oozed class today. Thought Aarons and Kerkez were great. Also brilliant stuff from the others in the team.

Overall, this season has been so much more enjoyable. Enjoy what we're watching.
Totally agree. I haven’t been this excited about our games since Eddie left. It feels like the excitement is finally starting over again, we’re on a new journey now.

What I love the most is seeing every single player out there playing devoid of fear and trying to positively influence the game. It must be a real joy for our lads to be playing under AI. Quite a transformation in a relatively short time. I love this team and how we’re going about things.

Loving this new journey so far and the signs are that it’s going to get even better !

:utc:

That only applies for holding calls (if the holding continues into the penalty area then it's a penalty), for tackles it is penalized where the fouling contact initiates. Much as I was hoping for it to be a penalty, on the replay I saw on TV it did appear to be just outside the box.

That only applies for holding calls (if the holding continues into the penalty area then it's a penalty), for tackles it is penalized where the fouling contact initiates. Much as I was hoping for it to be a penalty, on the replay I saw on TV it did appear to be just outside the box.
Has that changed in recent years? Back in our first season in the Premier it was where the contact ends. There was a pen we had at West Brom, if memory serves me right, where this happened.

;