Post-match thoughts v Southampton

One last observation, Rob Trent couldn't have been happier if he'd run over all 12 of Dibby's toes : )
Rob now has a busy couple of days texting, calling or visiting all the " loud 'n proud Saints " in his neighbourhood : )
He missed my toes, but I did get to bang on your window at the end. ;)

Great night beating the 12 men of Saints…(Darren England must be on their payroll?)
The whole team deserved it…only wish we had made the score more realistic especially after we got the first goal…the siting back for the last 25 minutes was torturous…let’s drop this tactic please!

Ah, that was you : )
Sorry I didn't recognise you, I terrible remembering people, ask Retro Red, I didn't recognise him either : )

One of those nights where the occasion was a lot better than the game. And what an occasion, loved every minute of it. Good to see @Monmouthred as well it’s been awhile.

I think this formation suits our personnel. It gets the best out of Kelly and Vina. It also gives us a midfield six to play close together and all of that six were outstanding tonight, better than the forward and the defenders. Finally we have someone who understands how to play three at the back so credit to GON for that.

Var, although it saved us was ridiculous tonight because that end decision was right but it was the other wrong ones… so totally unfair that the dicks can’t work out and agree what a handball is.

Anyway… we had great spells either side of half time which were very reminiscent of Leicester and Spurs away wins. Play like that for a whole game and it would be interesting! Think it’s the formation that allows it and hope he sticks with it for the rest of the season.

I get the point about not making subs at the end but to be fair to GON he would have taken Vina off for Smith and moved Tavs to the left like he did at Spurs. He couldn’t do that with Senesi and Tavs injuries so had to leave him on even though he was wrecked for the last fifteen and we couldn’t attack down the left

Best players for me tonight… Tavs, Christie and Rothwell for energy and link ups with a special mention for Kelly. All good though and the defence looked better without Stephens as more height and athleticism.

Nobody had a poor game on our side. Southampton were woeful.. worse even than Leicester I thought. Had that goal stood and maybe facing a seasons end without Tavs it could have become nerve wracking again. As it is though… in the words of Kris Temple… that should do it.
Yep I agree on your stand out three, especially Christie.

I fell asleep at half time unfortunately, but in that half on top of the names mentioned, Dom was terrorising their defence running in behind and getting the better of them almost every time. That long ball to him kept them under a lot of pressure, especially as if they won it back they seemed to just lose it and it gave us 2-3 minutes around their box pretty much every time we played it.

All round team performance again our strength. For the boo boys a very honourable mention Kelly had a very good game.

When City played Bayern away I remember Nathan Ake doing some wonderful defending when he just shepherded a Bayern forward away from a clear run on goal- nothing fancy, just kept goal side of him, matched him pace for pace and kept big, I thought as an example of excellent. defending that was hard to beat. Just have to say, I saw Kelly do exactly the same thing last night, real quality that not every defender is competent enough to do. But Kelly is- there’s one or two around me at DC I need to say that to.

That's the daftest argument for sacking a manager I've ever seen. A football-phone-in-tier grumble used as justification for binning off a man who has achieved something that, at the start of the season, you suggested would be equivalent to Leicester winning the title. And do you honestly think GON - former professional athlete, fully qualified coach - doesn't know when somebody is tired? Or could it be that the reasons for substitutions not being made earlier are a little more complicated than that?

You shouldn’t bite you now.

Well done everyone last night, including the fans. Gutted I couldn’t be there, but hope you all enjoyed it (”hope “- I must be kidding!). Anyway, I had to rely on BT Sport- and as Kirsikka has already mentioned, NATO was apparently in goal for us last night- so our recruitment is pretty awesome- you learn something every day.

I thought I watched a very accomplished performance with a spattering of nervous moments. Some standout players who definitely made the difference between us and a very poor Southampton team. I was slightly surprised at the amount of empty seats and the total lack of home support vocally. Our lads and lasses sang their hearts out and deserved to see victory. There were moments when we looked shaky defensively but all in all we had them under control. Che Adams made a difference when he came on and we were poor defensively for their ruled out equaliser but other than an Armstrong effort that hit the post then Neto and could've gone anywhere we limited them to few chances. We had standout players everywhere but for me Rothwell edged Billing and Solanke for MOM. Tabs took his goal really well with another assist from Solanke. It was shame that Dom just isn't that bit more lethal Infront of goal but he still played a big part in yesterday's win. Rothwell really is shining at the moment. I hope Tavs is ok as was holding his hamstring which could be season over. Let's hope not. GON seems to have taken a bit of stick still , even after a victory which see us most likely safe. I think he got it totally right last night and deserves plaudits for the job he's done . On to the next game and I really, really , really hope we beat dirty leeds

When City played Bayern away I remember Nathan Ake doing some wonderful defending when he just shepherded a Bayern forward away from a clear run on goal- nothing fancy, just kept goal side of him, matched him pace for pace and kept big, I thought as an example of excellent. defending that was hard to beat. Just have to say, I saw Kelly do exactly the same thing last night, real quality that not every defender is competent enough to do. But Kelly is- there’s one or two around me at DC I need to say that to.
Thought he had a great game. We commented on same thing last night, and what appeared to be a lat ditch tackle at the far end againt someone who seemed clear and through on goal

‘‘Twas truly a joy to be there!
What a cracking atmosphere.
Rothwell was outstanding.
Tavernier was MoM.
Christie was a terrier.
And for those who like jeering Lloyd Kelly, last night he was excellent.
It was all bloody spiffing.
And the antics of Fletch at the end with the crowd chanting his name was a memorable finish to the evening! :grinning:
Tinpot and bloody proud, chums!
:tophat:

I wonder if bill foleys thoughts will now start to favour the "staying up" plan, and he can chuck the "going down" one - and if this means more things may start happening? (am not complaining that things aren't happening fast enough already btw)

;