Post-match thoughts v Southampton

I can see why Soton fans like singing their 'Oh when the Saints' song so much - it's very catchy. I can't get it out of my head after last night, and have been walking around singing it to myself all morning (the 'go Championship' version, of course )

Nothing could ever bring me to sing "Oh Wendy"!!

I have been going around singing "Scummers get battered" and the following:

We're staying up and the scum are going down,
the scum are going down,
the scum are going down

to the tune of Yellow Submarine

Say what you like about GON, but their manager watched our inability to defend anything in the air against West Ham at the weekend (and most of the season) and dropped their 2m tall striker from the squad entirely. That's a special kind of incompetence.

I mean, if he didn't want the job he could have just told them.
He didn't need the 2m tall striker because for some reason only known to him he decided to take every corner short!..... really bizarre.

Watching the highlights back and getting a better look at our handball penalty shout - the inconsistency of handball calls this season really is staggering. Looks a routine penalty when taken in context of others we've seen against us. Will we make it through the whole season without having a penalty awarded?

Kelly had an excellent game, despite recent abuse (and I sit central north stand). This highlights the modern approach from internet and social media fuelled unrealistic expectations and short termism and space to fill. Looking medium term, this was the third away win in a row and fourth in last six. This result should also be seen against being bottom eight games ago.

I was expecting some radical changes when the Southampton bench didn't warm up at half time. Nothing changed before we scored.

It's clear there are far worse manager than GON. How could anyone choose short corners against Afcb at this moment.

The whole team is pulling together at the moment and have been throughout 2023. I don't expect to win every game but the majority of performances have been as good as expected so why get on individuals backs Have we won three consecutive away p.l. matches previously?

Kelly had an excellent game, despite recent abuse (and I sit central north stand). This highlights the modern approach from internet and social media fuelled unrealistic expectations and short termism and space to fill. Looking medium term, this was the third away win in a row and fourth in last six. This result should also be seen against being bottom eight games ago.

I was expecting some radical changes when the Southampton bench didn't warm up at half time. Nothing changed before we scored.

It's clear there are far worse manager than GON. How could anyone choose short corners against Afcb at this moment.

The whole team is pulling together at the moment and have been throughout 2023. I don't expect to win every game but the majority of performances have been as good as expected so why get on individuals backs Have we won three consecutive away p.l. matches previously?
No, this was the first time, apparently.

One last observation, Rob Trent couldn't have been happier if he'd run over all 12 of Dibby's toes : )
Rob now has a busy couple of days texting, calling or visiting all the " loud 'n proud Saints " in his neighbourhood : )
Slight delay getting in due to, er, Yates' and then meeting some friends for a bite to eat. Nipped back to the pub post-match, obviously to allow the traffic to clear.

Already making the most of it today. ;-)

One more thing: Much prefer away matches and the atmosphere to our sterile home games. Theres no way an atmosphere can get going at home due to fans spread around the ground, and the fake nonsense served up by whatever the DJ is playing.
Usually you would expect a modern cookie cutter stadium to make this even worse :confused: I really hope that if there are plans for a new stadium, that generating atmosphere will be a priority.
I want other teams to be scared of coming to our patch. The right design of stadium and the right marketing to attract the right demographic of new fans and we really could be a tough team to visit. Bring it on I say !

Every little advantage we can bake in will help to keep us in this league ! The new stadium ( if it happens ) needs to be a part of that.
:utc:

One more thing: Much prefer away matches and the atmosphere to our sterile home games. Theres no way an atmosphere can get going at home due to fans spread around the ground, and the fake nonsense served up by whatever the DJ is playing.
I hate dedicated standing and singing sections but the clubs that have done so have done it to eradicate what you are talking about Rob. It’s a tough one but yes the way we have accumulated season ticket holders over the years has meant people that would sing together with mates can only do it at away games.

... you forgot to mention the moaning b*stards that prefer to jeer and boo than support...

I also echo OldCherry's comment Re Kelly... Thought he was very good last night. He is much more suited as as CB IMO. He's taken a lot of stick of late from fans during games and it is obvious that some of the players prefer playing away from DC... which is really sad.

Considering we seem to have a decent number of 'decent CBs, yet we are struggling for 'decent' FBs, I think we should see the season out playing the system deployed last night and up at Spurs... I also really like the look of Vina in the brief time I've seen him. I hope he continues to get more minutes so we can take a proper look at him...

... you forgot to mention the moaning b*stards that prefer to jeer and boo than support...

I also echo OldCherry's comment Re Kelly... Thought he was very good last night. He is much more suited as as CB IMO. He's taken a lot of stick of late from fans during games and it is obvious that some of the players prefer playing away from DC... which is really sad.

Considering we seem to have a decent number of 'decent CBs, yet we are struggling for 'decent' FBs, I think we should see the season out playing the system deployed last night and up at Spurs... I also really like the look of Vina in the brief time I've seen him. I hope he continues to get more minutes so we can take a proper look at him...
Viña really did add a lot to our attacking play last night. He likes to get forward and played some really good passes to get us quickly up the pitch. I too really liked the look of him last night. Seems like a really useful player for linking our defence with our attack. (y)

Viña really did add a lot to our attacking play last night. He likes to get forward and played some really good passes to get us quickly up the pitch. I too really liked the look of him last night. Seems like a really useful player for linking our defence with our attack. (y)
To be fair, I know it was v Soton and they were pretty poor, but I thought our link play last night was very good all over the park... Rothwell bossed the middle for long spells. So glad he's finally making that position his...

It's really sad to say it but I'm starting to struggle to work out what Lewis Cook offers us any more...

To be fair, I know it was v Soton and they were pretty poor, but I thought our link play last night was very good all over the park... Rothwell bossed the middle for long spells. So glad he's finally making that position his...

It's really sad to say it but I'm starting to struggle to work out what Lewis Cook offers us any more...

A replacement for Lerma when he goes. Not sure why people constantly compare him to Rothwell. When a full back goes forward Cook falls back to cover. He is defensive minded. He does the role that Lerma fills. Rothwell is more attacking and advanced than Cook. A role that Lewis has not shown himself to be great at.

For every Rothwell and Arter you need a Cook, Lerma and Surman.

Someone's probably already mentioned this, but I thought Kelly was awesome last night. His form has been very mixed since he returned from injury, but it was great to see him get back to his best. Great performances all round, all over the pitch, but I just thought Lloyd deserved a mention.

100% - while all teams' away support is usually more vocal than the home support, our home atmosphere is especially sterile other than about one or 2 times a season. It's a real shame because with our small stadium it can really generate a great atmosphere when it gets going but you can normally hear a pin drop.

Last edited:
A replacement for Lerma when he goes. Not sure why people constantly compare him to Rothwell. When a full back goes forward Cook falls back to cover. He is defensive minded. He does the role that Lerma fills. Rothwell is more attacking and advanced than Cook. A role that Lewis has not shown himself to be great at.

For every Rothwell and Arter you need a Cook, Lerma and Surman.
Lewis Cook isn’t capable of fulfilling the role that Lerma does in the team. He doesn’t have the energy levels, the physicality or the ability to pose the occasional threat in the opposition’s box. I don’t really get the comparison, the two are absolutely nothing alike.

;