Post-match thoughts v Spurs

Did wonder re the 'color commentator'. Partly assumed it must have been a mistype :D

Winston Churchill is often attributed with the quote, "The British and Americans are two people separated by a common language." Although it is unlikely that he said it. He certainly didn't invent the phrase or concept. George Bernard Shaw had allegedly came up with something similar (1942). Bertrand Russel certainly had in 1944, "It is a misfortune for Anglo-American friendship that the two countries are supposed to have a common language." In 1954, Dylan Thomas had a stab at it too,
Europeans and Americans are "up against the barrier of a common language"

More accurately, perhaps, and earlier (1887), in the short story, The Canterville Ghost, Oscar Wilde wrote, "... we have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language."

Last edited:
Winston Churchill is often attributed with the quote, "The British and Americans are two people separated by a common language." Although it is unlikely that he said it. He certainly didn't invent the phrase or concept. George Bernard Shaw had allegedly came up with something similar (1942). Bertrand Russel certainly had in 1944, "It is a misfortune for Anglo-American friendship that the two countries are supposed to have a common language." In 1954, Dylan Thomas had a stab at it too,
Europeans and Americans are "up against the barrier of a common language"

More accurately, perhaps, and earlier (1887), in the short story, The Canterville Ghost, Oscar Wilde wrote, "... we have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language."

Interesting sir... I'm going to assume your career/business/ is something along the lines of journalism, author, copywriting etc going by your fine attn to the language, writing style and general craftsmanship on here over the years (unlike my own lazy spiels :D).

I work for a US corp and it's interesting noting how aggravated some of my follow UK colleagues get by sometimes feeling forced to confirm to the US language, for certain communications, documentation... 'after all, it's a US company...'., 'It's English, we invented the language' type comments.

Or one of my best friends (who's been a teacher in Taiwan for nearly 15 years now) face when we went travelling 20 years ago for a year, or in general in UK, seeing his face almost contort/grimace, gritting teeth, when you encountered people using American pronunciations of words... 'butchering the language' :D

Last edited:
Interesting sir... I'm going to assume your career/business/ is something along the lines of journalism, author, copywriting etc going by your fine attn to the language, writing style and general craftsmanship on here over the years (unlike my own lazy spiels :D).

You are fairly warm, but I am not a journo.

I work for a US corp and it's interesting noting how aggravated some of my follow UK colleagues get by sometimes feeling forced to confirm to the US language, for certain communications, documentation... 'after all, it's a US company...'., 'It's English, we invented the language' type comments.

I am fascinated by British grammar fascists railing against what they think are Americanisms. So many of them are good old words and phrases from the British Isles that have fallen out of use east of the Atlantic Ocean but continue to be used west of it. One clear example is that of fall versus autumn. The earliest recorded use of fall in that context is, 1545 R. Ascham, "Spring tyme, Somer, faule of the leafe, and winter" i.e. before America was colonised.

No-one owns the English language and it was not "invented." English has evolved and, these days, most of that evolution takes place not in England, but worldwide. The vast majority of new words coined by native speakers of English are American. Perhaps as many as 80% of all neologisms in British English last year had their origins in the USA. The Aussies do their fair share too (e.g. journo written quite deliberately above).

Perhaps, some of your work colleagues should stop using alien words such as shampoo. It comes from Hindi and first appeared in English in 1792. They could write on their shopping lists, 'the soapy liquid that you wash your hair with.'

You are fairly warm, but I am not a journo.

I am fascinated by British grammar fascists railing against what they think are Americanisms. So many of them are good old words and phrases from the British Isles that have fallen out of use east of the Atlantic Ocean but continue to be used west of it. One clear example is that of fall versus autumn. The earliest recorded use of fall in that context is, 1545 R. Ascham, "Spring tyme, Somer, faule of the leafe, and winter" i.e. before America was colonised.

No-one owns the English language and it was not "invented." English has evolved and, these days, most of that evolution takes place not in England, but worldwide. The vast majority of new words coined by native speakers of English are American. Perhaps as many as 80% of all neologisms in British English last year had their origins in the USA. The Aussies do their fair share too (e.g. journo written quite deliberately above).

Perhaps, some of your work colleagues should stop using alien words such as shampoo. It comes from Hindi and first appeared in English in 1792. They could write on their shopping lists, 'the soapy liquid that you wash your hair with.'

Absolutely! Words change their meanings too over time, and certain ones are quite clearly generally accepted as meaning x to masses of the population now, but its amusing seeing a pedant try arguing/being difficult, saying 'actually that word means y, so you you're actually saying...'.

Re shampoo, moment you said that 'Tippoo' from reading 'Sharpe' novels years ago came to mind... never considered 'shampoo' origins previously, but makes sense now you mention it.

I guess it's a little like the 'British people only' type debates, and how far people are willing to go back in time to make the distinction, as obviously we've been invaded once or twice over the centuries... so a real mix of genes, backgrounds.

What I did notice, a couple of years back when my daughter was learning phonics, reading, spelling etc, was how unintuitive the language can be at times. As in she'd be phonetically pronouncing it spot on, but I'd find myself regularly saying 'the way you're pronouncing it is spot on, in terms of phonetically, however we actually say it like this...).

I watched the match at Spurs on demand just now. The ending was almost as exciting as seeing it live. I can confirm that Kane affected Neto's play on the Danjuma's goal. I also can confirm that Outtara's move to cut it on to his right foot before finishing it is indeed my favorite moment of the season so far. I get a rush on every replay.

I watched the match at Spurs on demand just now. The ending was almost as exciting as seeing it live. I can confirm that Kane affected Neto's play on the Danjuma's goal. I also can confirm that Outtara's move to cut it on to his right foot before finishing it is indeed my favorite moment of the season so far. I get a rush on every replay.

I've concluded that, although very similar, it's even better than Pugh's goal at West Ham because he had less time and the finish needed to be absolutely pinpoint. Both goals bring a smile to my face whenever I think about them.

Thinking back to the game, we normally see him on the right wing, wasn’t this his first time having a shot coming from the left and scoring his first goal?

His other chances he has had from memory in games were from the right.

Thinking back to the game, we normally see him on the right wing, wasn’t this his first time having a shot coming from the left and scoring his first goal?

His other chances he has had from memory in games were from the right.
GON said in an interview that Dango and Anthony had just switched sides.

I've concluded that, although very similar, it's even better than Pugh's goal at West Ham because he had less time and the finish needed to be absolutely pinpoint. Both goals bring a smile to my face whenever I think about them.
Also worth noting that Pugh was up against Carl Jenkinson, whereas Ouattara actually had to beat an actual footballer to get his shot away.

;