Preston v AFC Bournemouth

billythekid

UTC Legend
Trying To Make It Three Wins In A Row

Against an in-form Bristol City team, the Cherries came away with all 3 points after beating the Robins for the first time since Nigel Pearson took the job of manager. This was the Cherries second win on the trot after beating Watford on Saturday. This put us back into the top six again after Cardiff winning on Tuesday night, there are 2 points separating the team in 6th & 8th place.

Our club visit Deepdale Stadium the home of Preston North End on Saturday, this will be our second away game this week and our team will be trying to make it a hat-trick of wins in a row. Deepdale is known as the oldest professional footballing site in continuous use in the world. Deepdale was once a farm and they had their first league match there against Burnley in 1888. Amongst famous names who played for Preston were Bill Shankly more famous for his time as Liverpool manager and the great Tom Finney out on the Preston and England wing.

Preston were the first team to beat our side at Dean Court this season at the beginning of December, the game finishing 2-3. Since then in their home games at Deepdale, Preston have beaten Middlesbrough 3-0, Bristol City 1-0, Coventry City 2-0 and in their last home game Huddersfield Town 3-0. They have drawn with Wycombe Wanderers 2-2, Reading and QPR 0-0. They have lost to Nottingham Forest 0-1, Rotherham United 1-2 and Watford 0-1. Away since the game at Dean Court, they have W 3, L 6. Tuesday night they lost 2-1 at Millwall.

In the January transfer window, Preston lost two of their influential players, Ben Davies their centre back who was linked with a move to Dean Court, signed for Liverpool. The other player who did come to Dean Court was midfielder Ben Pearson. Another player to leave was defender Darnell Fisher who joined Middlesbrough. They signed midfielder Ben Whiteman from Doncaster Rovers. Preston have brought in a few players on loan.

The last time AFCB visited Preston in the league was in League 1 in February 2013, Preston won 2-0.

In all our league games at Deepdale, AFCB have W 5, D 3, L 5.

All competitions between the two clubs, AFCB have W 13, D 6, L 11.

Preston Team News
Missing through injury against Millwall on Tuesday night, Liam Lindsay, Paul Gallagher, Ryan Ledson, Sean Maguire, Billy Bodin and Jake Cooper. Out with long term injuries are Patrick Bauer who was injured in the game at Dean Court, Declan Rudd and Louis Moult.

Preston Player To Watch
In the game at Dean Court, their leading scorer Scott Sinclair spotted Asmir Begovic off his line and his spectacular strike from 40 yards flew into the net. Sinclair has scored 9 goals so far. The other player in form, is Ched Evans who has scored in his last two games.

AFCB Team News
David Brooks is still missing and Sam Surridge who missed the Bristol City game with a swollen toe could be a doubt for the weekend. Jack Wilshere is available again.

AFCB Player To Watch
Against his old team be interesting how Ben Pearson plays. Reading on one of their fans forums, they mentioned how he is missed in their side in midfield.

Last edited:
So, with Lewis being largely anonymous last night, big question is do you switch up Lewis for Billing? Wilshere? Or go with the same XI for a 3rd game running...

I would have said PNE is the easier out of the 2 away games we have this week, but will still be tough... We need 11 players firing on all cylinders...

... and please JW. If either Stan or Danjuma are not being effective... Give Anthony a go...!!!!!

... and please JW. If either Stan or Danjuma are not being effective... Give Anthony a go...!!!!!
Yes ! It's great to see that he is now regularly making the bench but if the others are misfiring or tiring there is not much point in him being there if we don't give him a chance.

I can understand why he isn't starting for us just yet but surely there have been opportunities where we could have given him some minutes to try to stake a claim ? I would have thought hoiking Danjuma off when he's having a bad day and replacing him with Anthony wouldn't be very disruptive to our formation and general play. I suppose with Danjuma that "moment of magic" bonus he carries gives JW a bit of a dilemma with regard to subbing him off when the game is tight.

It would though be good to see Anthony get some minutes soon, I agree.
If the famous fire sale actually happens in the summer, we could be heavily reliant upon him next season, so best to get a proper look at him and speed up his development ( or not, obviously he could bomb ) as soon as an opportunity arises.

Energy and moving into space anticipating the pass is what we need asap. If a younger fresher player can provide it give it a go. We seem so one paced these days with the exception of Adam Smith no one bursts into space. And against defensive sides with 2 banks of 4 that is the only way of disrupting the barrier. So often in so many games when the opposition have 8 plus keeper behind the ball we have no way of getting through other than a ball to Solanke or Surridge, whoever playing, who have impossible odds with a couple of gorillas clinging to them!

Energy and moving into space anticipating the pass is what we need asap. If a younger fresher player can provide it give it a go. We seem so one paced these days with the exception of Adam Smith no one bursts into space. And against defensive sides with 2 banks of 4 that is the only way of disrupting the barrier. So often in so many games when the opposition have 8 plus keeper behind the ball we have no way of getting through other than a ball to Solanke or Surridge, whoever playing, who have impossible odds with a couple of gorillas clinging to them!
I'd slightly disagree, as I've seen Solanke a lot, less so Danjuma, and probably Stanislas too, make runs in behind and in the channels over the last few games and NOBODY sees those runs and plays an early ball in behind/down the flank.

Usually results in frustration from the players making the run and we end up turning back and slowing play. Saw it at least 5 times last night.

If anyone can recall the whipped half blind pass at pace down the line that Arter used to play, those are exactly the passes that runners were looking for last night.

When Long is on the pitch it's exactly what he benefits from too.

So for me it's not all about making a run and finding space but having people on the pitch that see that and then put you in.

I'd slightly disagree, as I've seen Solanke a lot, less so Danjuma, and probably Stanislas too, make runs in behind and in the channels over the last few games and NOBODY sees those runs and plays an early ball in behind/down the flank.

Usually results in frustration from the players making the run and we end up turning back and slowing play. Saw it at least 5 times last night.

If anyone can recall the whipped half blind pass at pace down the line that Arter used to play, those are exactly the passes that runners were looking for last night.

When Long is on the pitch it's exactly what he benefits from too.

So for me it's not all about making a run and finding space but having people on the pitch that see that and then put you in.
Liverpool v Chelsea game 30 mins old. Already about a dozen balls played over the top/in the channel/ down the flank. Neither side afraid of playing that type of pass speedily. Chelsea's goal ruled out by VAR was one of them.

So, with Lewis being largely anonymous last night, big question is do you switch up Lewis for Billing? Wilshere? Or go with the same XI for a 3rd game running...

I would have said PNE is the easier out of the 2 away games we have this week, but will still be tough... We need 11 players firing on all cylinders...

I agree keep the same winning side use Anthony as a sub let us see what he can do.

For me, Wilshere should start but think he will go with the same team.

If a player like Anthony has some fire in his belly then give him some minutes to show it and I don't mean as an 89th minute sub. No use him warming the bench with his backside. If we're doing well at PNE then maybe 25-30 minutes.

He should go 442. If we want play offs we need to go on a winning run given the form of the sides around us. I just don’t think we have enough threat with our blend of midfielders to play a three, we have many talented midfielders but they offer very little attacking threat between them. He needs to be brave and drop Lewis Cook as it’s what is best for the team now.

He should go 442. If we want play offs we need to go on a winning run given the form of the sides around us. I just don’t think we have enough threat with our blend of midfielders to play a three, we have many talented midfielders but they offer very little attacking threat between them. He needs to be brave and drop Lewis Cook as it’s what is best for the team now.
Or play Lewis in his best position

;