Richard Hughes

wishful thinking
at least one contributor will be forensically analysing pass completion rates, distances covered etc to prove all liverpool's signings under RH are in some way inadequate, and won't hesitate to show us his workings even though we don't give a toss

Hopefully Liverpool sink like a stone and AFCB thrive. I don't really care about Richard Hughes.

Richard Hughes is going to Liverpool. Good for him. It's history now.
I only care about what effect it's going to have on AFCB. I hope Franno is given plenty of support.

Richard Hughes is going to Liverpool. Good for him. It's history now.
I only care about what effect it's going to have on AFCB. I hope Franno is given plenty of support.

As posted, we’ve already reportedly lost our top scout as he will be joining Hughes at Liverpool.

As posted, we’ve already reportedly lost our top scout as he will be joining Hughes at Liverpool.

Hopefully the fact that the club have had loads of notice that he's leaving has allowed them to get some decent plans in place. It's a multi-club model now so it's going to need an expanded scouting network anyway and you'd think this was part of Bill's plan from the off.

SSN just had an interview with Iraola, sounds like Craig McKee is also headed to Liverpool. So that’s the top three positions other than Simon Francis leaving.

wishful thinking
at least one contributor will be forensically analysing pass completion rates, distances covered etc to prove all liverpool's signings under RH are in some way inadequate, and won't hesitate to show us his workings even though we don't give a toss

Absolutely. Sort of amusing, but desperation to clutch at any tidbit/straw that they were right all along will certainly keep the sorry episode alive for years to come. No doubt about it.

Analysing ours/liverpools players, managers, performances, success/failures for many years to come is my prediction.

I'm looking forward to the day when Blake is announced CEO at Liverpool or another elite club. Just imagine...

Last edited:
As well as Mark Burchill it seems Craig McKee is also leaving.

Discussing Hughes joining Liverpool, Iraola said: “I’ve always said it, he was maybe the main reason, or definitely a big, important part of the decision to come here.

“He has been really helpful with me personally, with all the staff.

“I think he is very good at his job.

“He has set everything here – the scouting department, the management of the players individually when they come here.

“There is an adaptation process where he is really helpful with the players and me as a coach.

Discussing Hughes joining Liverpool, Iraola said: “I’ve always said it, he was maybe the main reason, or definitely a big, important part of the decision to come here.

“He has set everything here – the scouting department, the management of the players individually when they come here.

“There is an adaptation process where he is really helpful with the players and me as a coach.

He's just saying that from professional standpoint... right ;)

Shows how useless our scouting team/network team is, right.

If Liverpool, of all teams, want them onboard ;)

i reckon a majority of football employees get jobs through connections, and I'm sure RH must have more about him than what we think we see.
I agree. The notion that Hughes has been appointed purely because of his alleged friendship is farcical. Liverpool are huge club and they cannot afford to make a mistake for what is a key position. I imagine they would have looked very carefully at options and have appointed Hughes on the basis of his track record, experience and capability.

Well that's a real knock-out blow for Neil isn't it. Nevermind I'm sure he'll keep fighting the good fight. What a hill to pick to die on?!

I agree. The notion that Hughes has been appointed purely because of his alleged friendship is farcical. Liverpool are huge club and they cannot afford to make a mistake for what is a key position. I imagine they would have looked very carefully at options and have appointed Hughes on the basis of his track record, experience and capability.

Yes exactly. Doubt the new bloke will be selecting Hughes mainly on basis of being an acquaintance.

His job (one of the biggest in football) and career hinges heavily on these kind of decisions.

Hughsey better not be lining up AI for the open Liverpool managerial position

I don't mind any of the elite clubs, overall, tbh.

Probably as always felt a million miles away from us.

But that may change towards Liverpool, if that happens this summer.

Seems a little too early. But given this Hughes, scouting team episode... who knows.

If Hughes knows and convinces Liverpool AI is the real deal...

They'll love his style. And he certainly appears to be on way to the top of the game, given his mgmt career to date.

I don't mind any of the elite clubs, overall, tbh.

Probably as always felt a million miles away from us.

But that may change towards Liverpool, if that happens this summer.

Seems a little too early. But given this Hughes, scouting team episode... who knows.

If Hughes knows and convinces Liverpool AI is the real deal...

They'll love his style. And he certainly appears to be on way to the top of the game, given his mgmt career to date.
only slightly concerned, but nonetheless. AI signs a fairly short contract, which would mean not much to buy it out. Hughes would likely have been involved to some extent in the contract talks. Same with Kelly which is another concern I have. I mean we first heard he was leaving in Nov, and I'm sure it had been discussed privately prior to then. Probably 2+2 = 5 stuff but you never know....

only slightly concerned, but nonetheless. AI signs a fairly short contract, which would mean not much to buy it out. Hughes would likely have been involved to some extent in the contract talks. Same with Kelly which is another concern I have. I mean we first heard he was leaving in Nov, and I'm sure it had been discussed privately prior to then. Probably 2+2 = 5 stuff but you never know....

Yeah. I'm resigned to Kelly leaving, 95% going to happen imo.

AI would be much harder to accept/replace imo. This summer anyway. Always assumed we'd get 2 years from him, at least.

Well that's a real knock-out blow for Neil isn't it. Nevermind I'm sure he'll keep fighting the good fight. What a hill to pick to die on?!
I know you like to keep pointing everything at my door Delboy but it’s not a knockout blow.

A nicely choreographed PR move, good luck to the old bloke he’s been great the new bloke will also be great. Rinse and repeat in any senior position in any company in the world.

I don’t think he has done enough with the money he has been given. I don’t know or care how he will do at Liverpool but whether they win the next seven champions leagues or get relegated it won’t change my opinion that he could have done better with the money he spent, and the amount of times he wasted a chance to get the right manager here.

I also know you don’t agree with this, which is fine. Not sure why you like to go through it every day.

;