Safe standing

From the SEG Minutes on the club website:

"MW asked if there was ever a consideration for the whole of block 15 to be safe standing, both CG and NZ discussed the impact on the view of supporters in other blocks which would ultimately mean the whole of the Vitality Steve Fletcher North Stand would need to be safe standing, which wasn’t feasible."

Seriously! Do these people even know where Block 15 is? How does that Block impact the view of anyone else in the stadium? Clueless!

Reading about the trialed license change to the stadium perimeter. If I understand correctly, allowing people to move around (the stadium exterior?) with their pint.

I’d be interested to see how this play out. I’ve been to a few pissup days out at rugby for my sins, where this is standard.

It’s probably a little different, in that the license perimeter and the entire stadium entry security perimeter is one and the same. The security gates forming a ring around the stadium, you’re IDed there and once in you can visit all the bars and wonder round with your pint no questions asked mixing with whoever.

That works because in rugby there are no home and away fans as such, no segregation, nobody really cares. If you’re within the stadium / license perimeter you’re fair game to get served (age allowing obviously).

I’m not aware of or have visited football clubs to my knowledge who operate this kind of setup. For reasons of supporter segregation and limiting home/away fans and beer all mixing.

Interesting experiment, I wonder what Dorset plod think.

Next Jim will tell us he’s showing up to the car park in a pickup with a keg and a bbq on the tailgate :grinning:

It might just be the front row to be fair - probably to deter the away end from piling forward over the front row. But I’m not convinced that the explanation from the club stacks up - would you really not install safe standing to that area because a couple of dozen people may or may not be able to see the corner taker?

I don't know either tbh not been in the away end since they installed it.

Well that's their explanation and I personally take it at face value.

I did look from my seat in the east stand when they announced safe standing but before they implemented it and noticed that not everyone in that bottom block stands - the wedge of people in that bottom corner by the aisle tended not to probably because it slightly blocks a few people's views of the corner - good old-fashioned self-policing I'd say.

It's also fair to say, as you have pointed out, that everyone in that block standing wouldn't block a lot. I suppose the club don't want to be blamed for encouraging people to stand in front of others.

Reading about the trialed license change to the stadium perimeter. If I understand correctly, allowing people to move around (the stadium exterior?) with their pint.

I’d be interested to see how this play out. I’ve been to a few pissup days out at rugby for my sins, where this is standard.

It’s probably a little different, in that the license perimeter and the entire stadium entry security perimeter is one and the same. The security gates forming a ring around the stadium, you’re IDed there and once in you can visit all the bars and wonder round with your pint no questions asked mixing with whoever.

That works because in rugby there are no home and away fans as such, no segregation, nobody really cares. If you’re within the stadium / license perimeter you’re fair game to get served (age allowing obviously).

I’m not aware of or have visited football clubs to my knowledge who operate this kind of setup. For reasons of supporter segregation and limiting home/away fans and beer all mixing.

Interesting experiment, I wonder what Dorset plod think.

Next Jim will tell us he’s showing up to the car park in a pickup with a keg and a bbq on the tailgate :grinning:
I’m going to shop this summer for a pickup at Hendy Ford….

I don't know either tbh not been in the away end since they installed it.

Well that's their explanation and I personally take it at face value.

I did look from my seat in the east stand when they announced safe standing but before they implemented it and noticed that not everyone in that bottom block stands - the wedge of people in that bottom corner by the aisle tended not to probably because it slightly blocks a few people's views of the corner - good old-fashioned self-policing I'd say.

It's also fair to say, as you have pointed out, that everyone in that block standing wouldn't block a lot. I suppose the club don't want to be blamed for encouraging people to stand in front of others.

That block is one part that sticks out like a sore thumb now they've put the rails in further up. You may well have mentioned them clamping down on it previously - you're right but it isn't dangerous and the explanation put forward by the club yesterday has no scientific data to support it in such a scenario ( a progressive crowd collapse) - just ridiculous.

I think we all agree safe standing is great but the club now threatening and targeting fans elsewhere is completely disproportionate and over zealous. Their claim we're still being monitored and may lose seats as a result is complete hyperbole when you look elsewhere.

The thing is, for all of the good work that's happened it seems that paying customers are still seen as 'the enemy' in some circles, clearly the new security guy has a point to prove and this has filtered down to stewards and those they're hiring from these security companies.

That block is one part that sticks out like a sore thumb now they've put the rails in further up. You may well have mentioned them clamping down on it previously - you're right but it isn't dangerous and the explanation put forward by the club yesterday has no scientific data to support it in such a scenario ( a progressive crowd collapse) - just ridiculous.

I think we all agree safe standing is great but the club now threatening and targeting fans elsewhere is completely disproportionate and over zealous. Their claim we're still being monitored and may lose seats as a result is complete hyperbole when you look elsewhere.

The thing is, for all of the good work that's happened it seems that paying customers are still seen as 'the enemy' in some circles, clearly the new security guy has a point to prove and this has filtered down to stewards and those they're hiring from these security companies.

Yeah I really don't know why they need to be so heavy handed. We know what is done elsewhere and clearly the club can now show the efforts that they are making, which should be enough to placate the authorities. Perhaps the almighty fuss that some fans made when they said they'd introduce safe standing has compelled them to be seen to crack down on it but it all seems so unnecessary.

I've been a vocal advocate for just getting on with introducing safe standing even if it inevitably means some are inconvenienced but I can't see why there's a need to target people in areas that don't affect others.

It might just be the front row to be fair - probably to deter the away end from piling forward over the front row. But I’m not convinced that the explanation from the club stacks up - would you really not install safe standing to that area because a couple of dozen people may or may not be able to see the corner taker?
If you were as clueless as the security officer then yes

Having succesfully completed my A Level Nuffield Physics course at Bournemouth School in 1982 I feel fully equipped to use my acquired skills of guesstimation to calculate the impact of standing in the whole of Block 15 on the view for people sitting in Block 14 :

Row A first seat onwards - No impact
Row B first seat to 4th - Unable to see corner flag and an area of up to a max 1 sqm
Row C first seat to 7th - Unable to see corner flag and an area of up to a max 3.5 sqm
Row D first seat to 12th - Unable to see corner flag and an area of up to a max 7.5 sqm
Row E first seat to 18th - Unable to see corner flag and an area of up to a max 6 sqm
Row F first seat to 13th - Unable to see corner flag and an area of up to a max 3.5 sqm
Row G first seat to 7th - Unable to see corner flag and an area of up to a max 1 sqm
Row H - Unable to see corner flag
Row I - Unaffecteded
Row J - Stewards telling people to sit down even though there is no impact on the person behind as they are already standing
Row K - Who cares they are also standing up

Assumptions
1) Max Height for someone standing is 1.9m
2) Avg height of somone sitting is 1m
3) My Intel i9 matrix quantum computer has the correct BS tolerance level
3) There is a match on at the time otherwise who cares
4) You will believe anything someone types on a football forum having spent long enough reading it
5) I will one day receive the A Level Physics grade I deserve and not the E they mistakenly printed on my certificate

Leeds Rhinos Rugby. Old fashioned terracing. Safety officer must be having kittens

Loads of unsafe standing at Prem grounds. No mention of fines.

The whole getting in and sitting down experience is just ridiculous H&S at it's absolute worst. The Yanks are meant to be renowned for their customer service. They obviously forgot to tell the twats at the turnstiles especially the grey haired bearded Jock **************** who's the biggest twatting jobsworth of them all.

The whole getting in and sitting down experience is just ridiculous H&S at it's absolute worst. The Yanks are meant to be renowned for their customer service. They obviously forgot to tell the twats at the turnstiles especially the grey haired bearded Jock **************** who's the biggest twatting jobsworth of them all.
I wonder if that’s the same goatee old boy who felt it appropriate to initiate Code Red when a few kids got excited to see some of the players at an AFCB Christmas carol event a few years back.

"Risk to supporters is generated by those standing in seated areas where there are no measures in place to prevent a progressive crowd collapse"

So, people are allowed to stand during exciting times of play. Everyone stands when there's a goal and jumps around. That is the highest risk in my view. (I have written many risk assessments in my time so am familiar with the process).

So at the time of highest risk standing is allowed thys rendering the whole safe standing issue a total nonsense.

Game. Set. Match.

"Risk to supporters is generated by those standing in seated areas where there are no measures in place to prevent a progressive crowd collapse"

So, people are allowed to stand during exciting times of play. Everyone stands when there's a goal and jumps around. That is the highest risk in my view. (I have written many risk assessments in my time so am familiar with the process).

So at the time of highest risk standing is allowed thys rendering the whole safe standing issue a total nonsense.

Game. Set. Match.
Of counts nonsense but someone trying to make a name for themselves.

;