Scott Parker

I have read the various items on this board, watched BOTN 2 re the Liverpool game and their Parker is sacked video, and we all seem to be in one accord. Time to move on the team need us more than ever whatever happens this season.

Bloody hell. I’m probably alone but I have some sympathy for Parker.
I have sympathy for the situation he was in, being an ambitious fellow and not getting support to have a real chance at survival. Yes, we have an outside chance, but not as large as a climber like Parker would want. That situation sucks for him, it really does.

If he just argued with the board in backrooms then I think he'd still be here and would have my support. Even some public comments calling for reinforcements would be fine normally, but not how he did it - not by denigrating the current squad. We can argue all day (as many here do) about who on the squad is or might be able to step up to the level of the premier league, but a manager/coach HAS TO support them, give them the belief they can and give them the best shot at doing so. I do not have sympathy for him being sacked solely because he has repeatedly made comments denigrating the ability of the current players, making those comments was him practically begging to be sacked. Sympathy for the situation, but not for the man because he dealt with the situation terribly.

I have sympathy for the situation he was in, being an ambitious fellow and not getting support to have a real chance at survival. Yes, we have an outside chance, but not as large as a climber like Parker would want. That situation sucks for him, it really does.

If he just argued with the board in backrooms then I think he'd still be here and would have my support. Even some public comments calling for reinforcements would be fine normally, but not how he did it - not by denigrating the current squad. We can argue all day (as many here do) about who on the squad is or might be able to step up to the level of the premier league, but a manager/coach HAS TO support them, give them the belief they can and give them the best shot at doing so. I do not have sympathy for him being sacked solely because he has repeatedly made comments denigrating the ability of the current players, making those comments was him practically begging to be sacked. Sympathy for the situation, but not for the man because he dealt with the situation terribly.

Agree with all of that . When a team automatically wins promotion they are by definition good enough to be in the league above , they might not be the best but they deserve to be there . Parker made it very clear publicly they were not even good enough to compete . Personally I was ready to support him for the entire season but I wasn’t expecting this behavior . I really hope he rethinks his public comments in his next job .

Parker dismissal

Lots of people on BBC weighing in on the debate, however they'll do well to keep in my mind that no english team aside from Fulham, Rotherham and Crystal Palace have lost by such a margin in competitive competitions at Anfield. The last of that lot being Palace in 89'. No non-league sides, or those in the Championship, leagues 1 or 2.
The result is a damning indictment of a poorly set-up side, playing without any confidence in their plan or coach.
Other supporters of clubs who haven't been subject to such a battering , should take a moment and think how their respective clubs would react , not only to the fall-out of the result, but knowing that the manager has literally no confidence in his players, none whatsoever. Teams like Bournemouth rely on building up the harmony of the club and the confidence of players who have yet to taste the pressure and step-up of class in the PL. They did that very successfully under Howe, who essentially took a team whose core was made up of free signings, minimal transfer fee players from leagues 1&2 and made them competitive for 5 seasons.
Parker brought about his own dismissal by openly disrespecting the players and owners, so in the end, he gave them little or no choice.

Sy, Bournemouth

A very good summation, courtesy of my Brother…

When you think about it,I have never heard a manager make comments reflecting on how poor a group of his are quality wise. Plenty have said they need reinforcements,but not at the expenses of fracturing the current players in the team.
Think he would have been sacked if we had lost 4-0 based on his post game comments.

Interesting times ahead,just want to see a team playing with passion,giving it a go and let the chips fall where they may.

UTCIAD

Didn't groves say something similar. That he couldn't get any more out of the players?

Incredibly, really. On paper one of the most successful managers we've ever had, but the extent to which his departure is unlamented speaks volumes about his tenure.

What sticks out to me is how little he apparently understands what makes people tick. He played a petulant game of politics for what... five minutes and got himself sacked. Completely misjudged and misunderstood his situation. Makes you wonder about his man management skills.

He could have sucked it up and tried to make the best of it and perhaps salvaged his reputation - in the blink of an eyelid he's damaged goods and you'd seriously wonder about anyone who'd consider him for another EPL side.

The more I think about it, Parker got us promoted in spite of himself.

Incredibly, really. On paper one of the most successful managers we've ever had, but the extent to which his departure is unlamented speaks volumes about his tenure.

What sticks out to me is how little he apparently understands what makes people tick. He played a petulant game of politics for what... five minutes and got himself sacked. Completely misjudged and misunderstood his situation. Makes you wonder about his man management skills.

He could have sucked it up and tried to make the best of it and perhaps salvaged his reputation - in the blink of an eyelid he's damaged goods and you'd seriously wonder about anyone who'd consider him for another EPL side.

The more I think about it, Parker got us promoted in spite of himself.
If you consider the slide we were on in the final two months last season, can you imagine the narrative if Moore doesn't score that goal against Forest.

Sorry, we can’t sign championship players as they have no PL experience but we can use an unknown manager in the PL for the next 34 games?

You talk so much rubbish.
I have literally never said anything about premiere league experience. As usual you are not reading properly and then jumping on the bandwagon before processing things. I said we lack quality, not experience.

I have literally never said anything about premiere league experience. As usual you are not reading properly and then jumping on the bandwagon before processing things. I said we lack quality, not experience.

PL quality was your exact words. I’m not mistaken, you then want an unsubstantiated manager to come in and coach these non PL quality players….

I thought we finished the season 8 or 9 games unbeaten?
We did but we had a fair few disappointing draws along the way which meant that we really needed to beat Forest that night. They shouldn’t have had a sniff really but to our credit we withstood the pressure that night and finished the season very strongly.

I'm exactly the same, in fact I couldn't believe how quickly my opinion on him changed this season. I defended him against all the criticism last year but I'm pleased they've got rid.

Yep same here. Defended him last season, particularly from what I thought was totally unhelpful booing around Feb/March. Not that I was a big fan of Parker, but felt unhelpful to the cause, as really needed to get back to the PL within 2 seasons for financial reasons, clubs future etc.

Tolerated his style as generally delivered, and had a fair few displays where we looked good imo. But i;ve always been neutral towards him. His comments in the the interviews concerned me, then this whole transfter strategy stuff and although the results weren;lt a surprise, apart from the extreme loss to Liverpool I was seriously wondering if he was the right man after all of that and the way he talked about the players - thought his comments were totally inappropriate, not conducive at all to galvanizing an underdog. So I'm really not bothered to see him go at all now. Looking forward to a new man coming in, who will hopefully be a breath of fresh air, even if we do end up going down.

So had all day to digest this and listen to various points of view on the media etc etc. I think we all know the reason for the sacking and Max Demin's statement back that's up. Everyone needs to be aligned and singing from the same hymn sheet, so to speak. Now I don't believe that Parker came into this season with a plan to get sacked or even a back up plan to get sacked. I honestly believe Parker felt that last season's brief of ' up at any cost' was to be followed by a ' sign anyone you need' and for all we know that discussion could have taken place last season and for whatever reason the brief changed through the summer and the dust had settled after promotion. I can understand why Parker would be miffed, promised one thing and then told to get on with another. But, as a professional footballer he would have been told to carry out roles in some matches that he wouldn't have liked but would've got his head down and got on with it. That's why I'm surprised by his actions. Calling out the club and the board was only going to end up one way. Airing his opinions so openly in the media made for good press and discussion but ultimately embarrassed the club. I'm surprised also that Parker didn't learn about what we are here. A small, unfashionable but well run club. With a hands off chairman and relatively forgiving support. Sackings , aside from Tindall recently, are rare. We are not Fulham, a London club with large wealth , or Nottingham Florist who are buying every sweet in the shop with no one questioning where the money is coming from. We made a mistake last time in the PL and made some directors and share holders rich and some players very rich whilst the stadium is still rented, still small and in some parts looking about worse for wear. I don't think Parker ever felt Bournemouth in his blood and he obviously, after board talks, didn't want to roll up his sleeves and prove the doubters wrong about our chances this season. Buy his success Parker. I don't hold the guy in ill regard. He got the club promoted and ticked that box. However, I was not a fan of his style. Many games last season after victories I walked out after the final whistle feeling that I hadn't been entertained and yes, I'm in that camp, I want to enjoy going to watch my team. Win , lose or draw. ( Not so much the losses but Im sure you know what I mean). The result isn't the be all and end all.
I wish Parker success at whichever club he ends up at in the future but I'm glad he's not here anymore. I also congratulate the board in making what must have been a difficult decision, this early in the season. It show strength and solidarity at the top. Now let's just hope they pick wisely !

;