Scott Parker

Don’t think they were past it for the champ, prem yes

Perhaps as backups. But needed to freshen things up a little, whilst retaining core of squad to avoid mass overhaul in short period.

Just imo of course, as agree they were great servants, and value in that. But can recall thinking I'd get rid of Daniels, Francis, surman etc at the time... howes servants and lost their legs... a bit wages... but probably woukd have accepted significant lower wage at that point. Regardless, my leaning was to get rid, and give younger players a shot at lower level, or bring in new faces as things had gone a bit stake imo.

Look at who they signed for... or rather, didn't. Tells the story imo.

Totally get a not insignificant number of fans felt they should have been retained though. Which is fair enough mate.

Perhaps as backups. But needed to freshen things up a little, whilst retaining core of squad to avoid mass overhaul in short period.

Just imo of course, as agree they were great servants, and value in that. But can recall thinking I'd get rid of Daniels, Francis, surman etc at the time... howes servants and lost their legs... a bit wages... but probably woukd have accepted significant lower wage at that point. Regardless, my leaning was to get rid, and give younger players a shot at lower level, or bring in new faces as things had gone a bit stake imo.

Look at who they signed for... or rather, didn't. Tells the story imo.

Totally get a not insignificant number of fans felt they should have been retained though. Which is fair enough mate.
In part, not many clubs looking for high wage earners and all had a few injury issues so risky for new clubs. I expect having played in the prem, surman and franno didn’t fancy the drop in levels.

The tough part for us was not keeping players on for a tenth year and getting deserved testimonials. Didn’t need the money by then of course given prem wages!

In part, not many clubs looking for high wage earners and all had a few injury issues so risky for new clubs. I expect having played in the prem, surman and franno didn’t fancy the drop in levels.

The tough part for us was not keeping players on for a tenth year and getting deserved testimonials. Didn’t need the money by then of course given prem wages!

Yeah, if you're pretty wealthy from several years of 5 figure a week contracts + signing on fees, bonuses, can't be blamed for thinking and/or hanging up your boots.

In some ways admirable tbh as from our lower league days, can recall many players signing for more affluent lower league clubs and being pretty inept as no doubt lost their fire/hunger. But ckubs still paying them few k a week for doing next to f all, due to their relatively recent higher level career.

But yes, I'd like to think they'd have been offered a testimonial as sign of respect/recognition of their years of incredible 'service'. Even if falling short of the 10 year mark.

Was concerned about rumours of how some of them were released... according to media reports. Disgraceful actually imo, if true.dersved much better, assuming players conducted themselves properly.

You don't do that to a 16 year old at McDonald's still in probation period, never mind seasoned professionals and what they'd given tge ckub for prolonged period.

Yeah, if you're pretty wealthy from several years of 5 figure a week contracts + signing on fees, bonuses, can't be blamed for thinking and/or hanging up your boots.

In some ways admirable tbh as from our lower league days, can recall many players signing for more affluent lower league clubs and being pretty inept as no doubt lost their fire/hunger. But ckubs still paying them few k a week for doing next to f all, due to their relatively recent higher level career.

But yes, I'd like to think they'd have been offered a testimonial as sign of respect/recognition of their years of incredible 'service'. Even if falling short of the 10 year mark.

Was concerned about rumours of how some of them were released... according to media reports. Disgraceful actually imo, if true.dersved much better, assuming players conducted themselves properly.

You don't do that to a 16 year old at McDonald's still in probation period, never mind seasoned professionals and what they'd given tge ckub for prolonged period.
Agreed. Poor way to leave for some of those players

Taking of testimonials , is Steve cook still going to have a game at some time?

Slightly off topic.
Makes me laugh. When a player who is on around £50000 a week, which I would say is around middle to lower amount in the premier league.
They move to a bigger/higher paying club then say it secured them financially for life.
If they have already been on a four year contract they will have earned more in that time the average wage earner earns in his lifetime.
Even a ‘high flyer’ on £150,000 a year doesn’t come near.

Slightly off topic.
Makes me laugh. When a player who is on around £50000 a week, which I would say is around middle to lower amount in the premier league.
They move to a bigger/higher paying club then say it secured them financially for life.
If they have already been on a four year contract they will have earned more in that time the average wage earner earns in his lifetime.
Even a ‘high flyer’ on £150,000 a year doesn’t come near.
They contribute a boat load of tax back into the system… largely off Sky TV charging us when you think where the money actually comes from.

It’s a fascinating circular model when you study it!! Buy sky… secure healthcare in your later years :grinning:

They contribute a boat load of tax back into the system… largely off Sky TV charging us when you think where the money actually comes from.

It’s a fascinating circular model when you study it!! Buy sky… secure healthcare in your later years :grinning:
And AFCB have contributed to poor health/nerves over the years. lol

Daniels and Surman dropped straight down to league one after they left here, Francis looked for another club for a bit and then retired. It says it all really, we made the right decision not to keep them on. Where we went wrong was that we held onto all three for a year or two longer than we should have anyway. I remember watching Franno during the relegation season, it was painful how far off of the pace he was. It’s no good having players who are ‘good for the dressing room’ if they can’t actually be relied upon when needed to play. Fortunately we seemed to learn our lesson post Eddie, as nice as it is to reward players for their loyalty it can never be at the expense of performances on the pitch.

Daniels and Surman dropped straight down to league one after they left here, Francis looked for another club for a bit and then retired. It says it all really, we made the right decision not to keep them on. Where we went wrong was that we held onto all three for a year or two longer than we should have anyway. I remember watching Franno during the relegation season, it was painful how far off of the pace he was. It’s no good having players who are ‘good for the dressing room’ if they can’t actually be relied upon when needed to play. Fortunately we seemed to learn our lesson post Eddie, as nice as it is to reward players for their loyalty it can never be at the expense of performances on the pitch.
Agree. But there’s a manner in which you do this and we treated them all appallingly and Steve Cook who was still able to play at our level.

Reactions: DJ
Agree. But there’s a manner in which you do this and we treated them all appallingly and Steve Cook who was still able to play at our level.

So people say. Tbh though having strong opinions on the interpersonal relationships behind the scenes is getting a bit too involved imo. Who really cares if A player or manager doesn't get on with Y? Or someone feels aggrieved about something. They aren't my mates they just play football for the team I support and get paid a sh*t load of money to do so.

So people say. Tbh though having strong opinions on the interpersonal relationships behind the scenes is getting a bit too involved imo. Who really cares if A player or manager doesn't get on with Y? Or someone feels aggrieved about something. They aren't my mates they just play football for the team I support and get paid a sh*t load of money to do so.
We’ve seen your values on the other safe standing thread Del. You might as well just start every sentence you write with a default ‘fuck em’…

‘Fu
ck em they got paid didn’t they’
‘F
uck em they might be old but they’ve not had to move seats for 20 years’

Depends on how you look at life and people I suppose. Each to their own.

We’ve seen your values on the other safe standing thread Del. You might as well just start every sentence you write with a default ‘fuck em’…

‘Fu
ck em they got paid didn’t they’
‘F
uck em they might be old but they’ve not had to move seats for 20 years’

Depends on how you look at life and people I suppose. Each to their own.

Not like you to start pontificating on morality issues. Must be a great view up there on your high horse so long as you can hold your nose to keep out the putrid stench of hypocrisy.

These people are work colleagues. They aren't all friends and they aren't my friends. Why on earth do I need to concern myself with whether Jason Tindal called, texted or sent a carrier pigeon to Andrew Surman to console him about being released? If either one of them did something that is out of order then that is between them and none of my business. I'm sure they will either not speak to each other again or bury the hatchet and get over it.

But you carry on with your Gossip magazine style pontifications on morality about things that are none of your business.

Not like you to start pontificating on morality issues. Must be a great view up there on your high horse so long as you can hold your nose to keep out the putrid stench of hypocrisy.

These people are work colleagues. They aren't all friends and they aren't my friends. Why on earth do I need to concern myself with whether Jason Tindal called, texted or sent a carrier pigeon to Andrew Surman to console him about being released? If either one of them did something that is out of order then that is between them and none of my business. I'm sure they will either not speak to each other again or bury the hatchet and get over it.

But you carry on with your Gossip magazine style pontifications on morality about things that are none of your business.
Nurses underpaid by the government and made to pay for their parking ‘fuck em that is between them and none of my business’

Wtf are you talking about? What's that got to do with whether Tindall texted Surman or whether Blake rang O'Neil at 6am or 7am?
I would think that the point is that Neil is simply pointing out that you can be concerned about how employers treat people be they nurses or Andrew Surman or some 18 year old who is not offered a professional contract.

I would think that the point is that Neil is simply pointing out that you can be concerned about how employers treat people be they nurses or Andrew Surman or some 18 year old who is not offered a professional contract.

Sure but fans are never going to know the ins and outs of interpersonal relationships and they don't really need to. It seems to be accepted that letting Surman and Daniels go was the right decision - maybe Tindal should have called them maybe he had reasons he didn't, what do I care that's between them.

I can think of a few players who have said they didn't like the way Eddie Howe treated them, maybe he did treat them badly or maybe he didn't but why do I need an opinion on something that I don't know the details of?

As long as it isn't John Yems type mistreatment I don't see why fans need to form an opinion on these things.

;