Shane Long

Jimmy 306

New Signing
I don't understand why JW is worried about Shane Long not being available due to injury. I think he was a good player but is a long way short of his former self. He has played for us but really not contributed much IMO, his age is a factor . We let players go who where around his age, & I feel we have better younger players available to step up to the mark. What do others think?

Obviously not the player he was, or that lot up the road wouldn't have let him come here. An experienced player around the squad, nothing wrong with that.

If we were to have an experienced player, they either need to be one of the best players in the squad, or have been with the team for a while. Look at Surman, Franno, Daniels. They were vital members. Shane Long is neither.

Obviously he was just an insurance policy. We were a bit light on forward players once we let Josh King go. I think Solanke was in the middle of another barren spell ( if I recall correctly ) and Surridge was our only other option at the time. I think he was just a low cost replacement for JK and was deemed better than nothing in an injury crisis or emergency during the second half of the season.

Who knows ? Maybe his presence has caused Solanke and Surridge to up their game a bit to ensure they don't lose their place in the match day squad. In that case maybe signing him was a good idea after all ? In his interview when he joined, he came across as a player with a very good character too. Who knows what effect he is having on the rest of the squad ?

But overall I think he was probably just a cheap option to provide cover in a crisis and we all know that forwards don't come cheap. We probably didn't have too many other options at the time, unless that Burnley swap was a genuine option, which I'm guessing in the end it wasn't.

What do others think.?...this other thinks its just a game of football...you stick 11 players on a pitch....stand back and watch what happens ! Its as simple as that !
It is also just about younger players coming through to reduce any boredom...and energise the spectacle !

If we were to have an experienced player, they either need to be one of the best players in the squad, or have been with the team for a while. Look at Surman, Franno, Daniels. They were vital members. Shane Long is neither.

Who's rules are these?

I've no idea what the bloke offers off the pitch. People said he was a great player for squad morale when we got him and that has certainly improved. Who knows if that's anything to do with him or not but I can't see why people are getting worked up about him. Our season has turned around massively, so what if one loan signing roll of the dice didn't work out?

He’s scored a couple of goals, I remember him being very influential in keeping the ball high up the pitch to seal out one or two wins too.

I didn’t want him but he’s done fine; he’s played a role in where we are now, if a small one. He might even turn out to be our Kenwyne Jones of the season.

Obviously he was just an insurance policy. We were a bit light on forward players once we let Josh King go. I think Solanke was in the middle of another barren spell ( if I recall correctly ) and Surridge was our only other option at the time. I think he was just a low cost replacement for JK and was deemed better than nothing in an injury crisis or emergency during the second half of the season.

Who knows ? Maybe his presence has caused Solanke and Surridge to up their game a bit to ensure they don't lose their place in the match day squad. In that case maybe signing him was a good idea after all ? In his interview when he joined, he came across as a player with a very good character too. Who knows what effect he is having on the rest of the squad ?

But overall I think he was probably just a cheap option to provide cover in a crisis and we all know that forwards don't come cheap. We probably didn't have too many other options at the time, unless that Burnley swap was a genuine option, which I'm guessing in the end it wasn't.
Simply a case of king going for peanuts and JT been given no money to spend,hence long on loan until the end of the season. Could be used to Harry and chase if we're winning in a play off game

..the club really screwed up in not giving King his move by trying to hold out for more money...think we only got 2 million from Everton!

Sure that we could have flogged him to the Dildo man for 10 million?

...and to the Yankee Club for 15 million before that!

Lack of ( quality) strikers was our downfall last season and this. I know we are the second highest scorers in the league but that's down to our strikers. Long was a cheap, local and available option when King left. I'm really disappointed in King. His attitude towards this season was poor and all he has achieved is becoming second sting 200 miles north. Possibly in hindsight he might now be thinking staying with us and getting promoted would have enhanced his next club options, or in fact tried another season with us in the PL. Back to Shane though, and he's done nothing wrong since being here and would've known what we wanted from him. Who knows he may pop up and score the winner at Wembley! Seriously though the club need to look hard at improving our strike force next season whatever league we are in.

;