Shane Long

..the club really screwed up in not giving King his move by trying to hold out for more money...think we only got 2 million from Everton!

Sure that we could have flogged him to the Dildo man for 10 million?

...and to the Yankee Club for 15 million before that!
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.... :grinning:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.... :grinning:
...well I just hope that we have learnt from the situations with Fraser and King who have a part to play in our current situation..and you say hindsight but sometimes you have to have a better feel of the temperature, we can only speculate what goes on behind the scenes...but those running the club should have seen what the outcome might have been from stalling and not striking when they could to sell...both Fraser and King should have been sold earlier and certainly not been picked for duty given their attitudes..

...Shane Long has more PL experience than any of our squad, so I think we should respect that and use it to our advantage in the coming weeks.

Yeah, I'm struggling to think of anything worse from 2017 onwards.

Wilson possibly but he felt like a luxury punt
Defoe at least seemed to make perfect sense at the time

I'm struggling to see it as anything like that drastic. It's a lone move for a bit part player who was always going to be backup. He's scored a couple already and you never know he might pop up again at some point in the next 4/5 games.

As someone has said Kenwyne Jones is lauded as a great signing under similar circumstances and he basically won us a point at Ipswich and helped with the rear guard action at Reading.

I'm struggling to see it as anything like that drastic. It's a lone move for a bit part player who was always going to be backup. He's scored a couple already and you never know he might pop up again at some point in the next 4/5 games.

As someone has said Kenwyne Jones is lauded as a great signing under similar circumstances and he basically won us a point at Ipswich and helped with the rear guard action at Reading.

yes, and he played 10 times for saints this season, so not like he was totally out of their picture, so must still have something about him... not completely lost it.

certainly no worse than Defoe. also, not sure we could realistically have expected to bring in anyone better in january, unless prepared to pay stupid amounts.

I read somewhere Shane Long was the second most used sub in the EPL, 139 times. James Milner tops the list with Defoe in 3rd place.

..the club really screwed up in not giving King his move by trying to hold out for more money...think we only got 2 million from Everton!

Sure that we could have flogged him to the Dildo man for 10 million?

...and to the Yankee Club for 15 million before that!
We turned down 15m from the dildos and he sulked because he wanted to go.club thought we would get more and JT was left with no money to spend and a player who was pissed off with the board.went in the end for a million

We turned down 15m from the dildos and he sulked because he wanted to go.club thought we would get more and JT was left with no money to spend and a player who was pissed off with the board.went in the end for a million

And apparently Shane Long is the worst transfer decision we've made in the last three years.

Surman....Arter.......Fraser...King...Ibe...Brad Smith....we should have moved them all on before we lost money...and maybe a more visionary Chief Executive might have foreseen that?

we did well with Ritchie, Mings, Mousset, Wilson and Ake sales to be fair...

I would say that if we had a 'Levy' in charge we may have salvaged quite a bit in transfer fees rather than not?

Surman....Arter.......Fraser...King...Ibe...Brad Smith....we should have moved them all on before we lost money...and maybe a more visionary Chief Executive might have foreseen that?

I would say that if we had a 'Levy' in charge we may have salvaged quite a bit in transfer fees rather than not?
You make it sound so easy.

I think we got pretty good value out of some of those you mentioned , and we didn’t ‘lose money’ on players like Francis, Arter, Fraser, King and Surman.

the optimum selling point just doesn’t simply appear with a warning light and a voice screaming ‘it’s the time to sell’.

After relegation and mot getting his move to.man Utd king thought he would be ok to go just like Ramsdale Wilson ake.15m for king with 1 year left was good money for a player we got cheaply.

How is it drastic to say it's worst bit of business in 3 years? Name a more ineffectual aquisition from 2017 onwards.

Interesting fact, we haven't won a game when he's played for more than 15 minutes and both his goals have made no difference to our point tally.

It would be difficult to make a case that Surridge would've done any worse in those 400 odd minutes and arguably would've helped his development for example.

I think Surman, Daniels and Francis were unlikely to command much of a fee at their ages and were better kept as backups for the remainder of their contracts.

Brad Smith and possibly Ibe was cash flushed down the bog. Really any saving on wages would've been a bonus.

At the time I was part of a minority that wanted us to sell players while their stock was high but the club had different plans and at the time the rest of the fanbase was largely happy with it.

How is it drastic to say it's worst bit of business in 3 years? Name a more ineffectual aquisition from 2017 onwards.

Interesting fact, we haven't won a game when he's played for more than 15 minutes and both his goals have made no difference to our point tally.

It would be difficult to make a case that Surridge would've done any worse in those 400 odd minutes and arguably would've helped his development for example.

Because describing a loan signing that's been a bit ineffectual as "the worst transfer decision of the last three years" is way over the top. Even if you ignore the car crash transfer dealings with Fraser and King it's a bit like describing a prang in a car park as "the worst car accident I've seen in years". Way OTT.

Did you think Kenwyne Jones was bad business or was that one point enough to save him from such indignation?

Loan moves by their nature are a way of taking a punt on someone without the risk associated with a full transfer.

;