Shoddy and Tired

It's not just the skill of the players out but the leadership qualities they have. List your top 5 or 6 leaders you think the club has. How many of them are currently out?
Francis, Cook, Cook, Surman and Smith may well make it onto a lot of people's lists.

It's not just the skill of the players out but the leadership qualities they have. List your top 5 or 6 leaders you think the club has. How many of them are currently out?
Francis, Cook, Cook, Surman and Smith may well make it onto a lot of people's lists.

I disagree,with the exception of Steve Cook,I don't think any of those players are natural leaders or good motivators.
Elphick was our best motivator and captain.

I disagree,with the exception of Steve Cook,I don't think any of those players are natural leaders or good motivators.

Franno's a leader. David James was eulogising about his leadership qualities in the Huddersfield programme - said he epitomises the whole club and is a big part of the success story.

"Simon's leadership qualities are one of the main reasons why that team has stuck together and been able to do so well."

We all have different opinions, however Francis and Surman are good enough in Eddie's eyes and all the levels Lewis Cook has been captain at for England must say something about his leadership qualities.

The Sausage Roll with Red Leicester cheese played very well, dangling taste sensation on my tongue like a Bishop drive through midfield, or a last minute Aylott winner.

Agree with Neil that the rigidity and predictability of the 4-4-1-1 is holding us back, it has served us very well of course but it is time we adapted to a more fluid system. We have been largely worked out, stop us from countering with the pace of king and Fraser and you nullify our threat massively.

Personally think playing the Fab Four away from home puts a lot of pressure on the team defensively unless they are all on song when we can out score the opposition. If not, as we saw on Saturday, we can get over-run. Solution is to play more defensively and pack the midfield but probably means dropping one of our best players!

Personally think playing the Fab Four away from home puts a lot of pressure on the team defensively unless they are all on song when we can out score the opposition. If not, as we saw on Saturday, we can get over-run. Solution is to play more defensively and pack the midfield but probably means dropping one of our best players!

Yep. Moving to a 4-5-1 means one of the four drop out unless King plays on the wing which he doesn’t like and doesn’t track back for. This is why we persist with a formation where two of our players wait for the ball and we get overrun in midfield. When we do have it Lerma and Gosling lack the vision to through ball (Cook and Arter had it). So it goes square and wide. Shut us down out wide or push our full backs back from joining in by sitting high on us and we are nullified. Most teams play the high press at home hence our away form. Even when Huddersfield did it to us at the Vitality we looked awful.

Everyone has sussed it. We keep playing it.

We got several of our best results of the season at the start playing a front 3 anyway. Fraser, Wilson, Brooks. Although on current form I might swap Wilson for King.
I'm not entirely sure when and why exactly we switched back to 4-4-2, sometime in the autumn I think?

Yep. Moving to a 4-5-1 means one of the four drop out unless King plays on the wing which he doesn’t like and doesn’t track back for. This is why we persist with a formation where two of our players wait for the ball and we get overrun in midfield. When we do have it Lerma and Gosling lack the vision to through ball (Cook and Arter had it). So it goes square and wide. Shut us down out wide or push our full backs back from joining in by sitting high on us and we are nullified. Most teams play the high press at home hence our away form. Even when Huddersfield did it to us at the Vitality we looked awful.

Everyone has sussed it. We keep playing it.

agreed
on saturday, lerma was effectively our play-maker (not his strength) although every time he picked the ball there was precious little movement ahead on him so nearly all his passes were sideways

gosling just isn't good enough technically to play in a central midfield 2

I don’t have a problem with Gosling like some do on here ,I think he’s a good hardworking midfielder but our first choice for next season has to be Cook and Lerma .

Agree, he's good at what he does and is very useful in certain circumstances. We should obviously be trying to improve again in the middle but having Gosling in our squad is no bad thing. He spent years out of the team and his attitude was still excellent, a valuable trait in a squad game.

This is the issue. Have got to make brave decisions for the good of the team sometimes, do not think Wilson and King both fit into our best 11 together, as good as they both can be individually.

When we do have it Lerma and Gosling lack the vision to through ball (Cook and Arter had it).

My first thought when reading this was "That's bull**** and I'm going to prove it". But to my surprise, Arter has indeed played the most through balls in his seasons with us in the Premier League- so I stand corrected. :grinning:

I was comparing his stats in the same date range to Surman, just out of interest.

Arter (2015-18):
Assists - 4
Big Chances Created - 3
Through Balls - 13
Accurate Long Balls - 284
Interceptions - 82
Tackling SR% - 74%
Aerial Battles Won - 19

Surman (2015-18):
Assists - 9
Big Chances Created - 2
Through Balls - 12
Accurate Long Balls - 389
Interceptions - 168
Tackling SR% - 65%
Aerial Battles Won - 100

"Sideways Surman" lol. These stats make him look like some kind of midfield destroyer :grinning:

agreed
on saturday, lerma was effectively our play-maker (not his strength) although every time he picked the ball there was precious little movement ahead on him so nearly all his passes were sideways

gosling just isn't good enough technically to play in a central midfield 2
We need three in the middle for most games to stop us being overrun,but one has to be creative

I did go to the Leicester game - it was disappointing. To be fair, looking at Wes Morgan's goal I'd be amazed if he knew anything about it as the replays seem to just show it bouncing in off his foot. Wilson should have equalised and I'm not sure Schmeichel knew much about the save. So some bad luck there.

But in the second half I thought we were in for a treat as the Cherries attacked the away supporters end with only a goal to get back and everything to play for. Sadly the travelling fans hardly saw them - they were pinned by the Foxes into their half and hardly came out. Total capitulation.

I do wonder what this means for next season. Unless similar patsies to Fulham and Huddersfield come up from the Championship, the Cherries could easily become relegation favourites by the autumn. This season we had a flying start with some easy fixtures - can we really rely on that again? At the very least The Cherries need to becomer harder to beat - 58 goals against tell a sad story.

;