Simon Francis

Will be incredibly disappointing if Hughes is just replaced with Franno, with all due respect to Franno. It is arguably the most important role at the club, we are a PL team and should be looking to recruit someone with the required experience and knowledge/links to various European markets etc. replacing your technical director with his understudy is the behaviour of a league one/two club.
Just as potentially an alternative opinion with no knowledge……presumably he’s been deputy for a while, will have garnered on the job experience and also developed a network of contacts throughout the world

I can’t believe that a hard headed American businessman who dispensed with a head coach who had kept us in the Prem would even consider promoting Franno without evidence that he could do the job.

We aren’t in that space any more, I think you’re still eyeing Franno as a right back without knowing how he’s performed since retiring.

If Bill and the club think he will do what we need him to and give him the job, I’m certainly not going to naysay it before he’s even got his knees under the desk

Why are people so kneejerk?

Putting aside any agendas etc, it is a very valid point. Not meaning to slag Franno off, just don’t think a PL club should be recruiting someone with no experience of that role in arguably the most important position at the club. No other PL side would so why us?

We don't know what his role is going to be yet so it's a bit hasty to slag his potential appointment off. Foley must surely have a plan to completely revamp the multi-club recruitment model so it would be surprising if they are simply going for an I'll thought out internal appointment.

Putting aside any agendas etc, it is a very valid point. Not meaning to slag Franno off, just don’t think a PL club should be recruiting someone with no experience of that role in arguably the most important position at the club. No other PL side would so why us?
It all depends upon how much of what Hughes does is actually solely down to him. It could well be that we have a whole team of analysts working on recruitment in the background, making suggestions to Hughes about whom we could go for. He is perhaps then responsible for making the final decision and then getting the desired player under contract.

In that case, Franno has probably learned enough to be able to take on that role.

None of us know how much of the recruitment is down to Hughes personally but I’m pretty sure that he will be acting on advice from others who are most likely still going to be here.

What if he's really good at his job though?
I really hope he is. Franno always spoke articulately and intelligently so I have a good degree of faith that he will be able to be a success.

He had a good drive to succeed as a player too which is another important trait, and let's not forhlget he has been groomed for this as part of a succession plan.

Last edited:
Oh well. I’m sure out of the many experienced candidates available across Europe, the guy who just happens to be our former captain and is already working at the club would be be the best possible option. Right?

As I see it, Bill Foley's been here about 18 months. He a very, very successful businessman, he's built his businesses through appointing the right person to the right job. He's investing heavily in his football clubs, with us at the top of his multi-club emporium. Do people really think he'll just look 'round the office and say "Hands up if you fancy Richard's job".
Franno's been appointed to the hot seat, Bill and his associates must consider Simon as good enough, if he's not, he'll soon be gone. Richard Hughes wouldn't have lasted long if he wasn't up to it.
I'm all for giving Franno a chance to show Bill if he's good enough. Remember Charlton fans told us what a bad signing he was, turns out, he was one of Eddie's best.
In Bill we trust : )

Ps love the "with all due respect to Franno but...." stuff : )

Blake thinking as hard as ever on this appointment!

On a serious note I like Franno, he is an intelligent articulate bloke with a really decent football brain. Hoping he can step up although feel for him with some of the squad he has been left and having to recoup its value before he can spend.

Welcome Franno and best of luck to you sir.

;